Sugarbush New Lifts

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 383

ropeways.net | Home | 2017-04-26

Doppelmayr to Install New Sugarbush Chairlifts

Two half century old novice double chairlifts are to be replaced.

One month after the announcement by owner Win Smith, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com News has learned that Sugarbush's new quad chairlifts will be installed by Doppelmayr. Summit Ventures application for the Sunnyside Double replacement was filed in the Vermont Act 250 system on April 13.

The proposed $1.3 million Sunny D Quad would be 2,114 feet long by 477 vertical, making the lift a few feet shorter than the existing Sunnyside double. Featuring 54 quad chairs moving at 450 feet per minute, the total uphill capacity would be 1,323 persons per hour. Construction is expected to take place from July to September 2017.

Updated plans for the new Village Lift has not been released, but the new quad may follow a shorter, differently aligned lift line.
With the replacements, the only remaining double chairlift at Sugarbush will be the Castlerock. The chairlifts will be the fourth and fifth new installs since Smith's Summit Ventures NE, Inc. acquired the mountain in 2001.

Sunday River announced in 2016 that Doppelmayr would be installing its new Spruce Peak Triple in 2017. Leitner Poma is expected to install a new T-Bar at Burke Mountain.

Source: "NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com"

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com

Comments

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Since Sunday River's spectacular lift fail last year I may have to go over and watch how they tie in the concrete to the bedrock this summer. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I think we already are doing more new lifts being built in New England this summer than last (2: Suicide Six and the beginner lift at Mt. Snow). I suspect this season was profitable for most of the northeast industry, despite the marginal January and the post-Presidents Day melt down. .
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 28 Posts: 1,559

I think we already are doing more new lifts being built in New England this summer than last (2: Suicide Six and the beginner lift at Mt. Snow). I suspect this season was profitable for most of the northeast industry, despite the marginal January and the post-Presidents Day melt down. .

And Gateway & Waterville, so 7 next season & 4 last season by my count. Also Berkshire is cutting trails
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    If Berkshire is cutting new trails-- that's good!

It's easy to pinpoint the oldest ski areas in the region--- Smuggs, Stowe, et al, but who is the youngest that's still in operation? When was the last time a totally new area was opened in New England? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Gateway Snow Park, NH this season. Before that, something in the 1970's.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • obienickobienick expert
    Sure Crotched was de-NELSAPped, but it was essentially a new build. Only thing reused was the double. Trails were widened/graded, new snowmaking, new used lifts, new lodge.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    bmwskier said:

It's easy to pinpoint the oldest ski areas in the region--- Smuggs, Stowe, et al, but who is the youngest that's still in operation? When was the last time a totally new area was opened in New England? 

Bretton Woods, 1973, was the last 1K+ vertical new area in New England.

bmwskier said:

Bretton Woods, 1973, was the last 1K+ vertical new area in New England.

It's also the second newest public ski area in New England overall, even though it's among the largest.
    - Sam