Major New England Areas not Frequently Mentioned on SJ

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,864
There are a number of areas that receive disproportionately heavy coverage on SJ.

There are also some excellent areas (500+ vertical for summarizing purposes) that are rarely mentioned on SJ.

For starters:
Bromley, VT
Cranmore, NH
Gunstock, NH
Butternut, MA

What can you add?

Comments

Mohawk
    Big Rock
    Smuggler's Notch
    Catamount
    - Sam
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited April 26 Posts: 850
    I've done my part, since the most popular areas are a long drive for me. I've posted trip reports (mostly on Snowjournal 1.0) from Jiminy Peak, Butternut, Sundown, Catamount, Belleayre, Plattekill, Windham, Mount Peter, Greek Peak and Gore Mt.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    New years day of 2005 I was privileged to ski gun stock. I don't know if it was the closest area from Manchester airport or if the name was intriguing but I sure cannot forget the beautiful view of the big lake W on the summit riding a nice fairly new high-speed quad

I would love to revisit that area again with more trails are open and with some ski friends but in retrospect skiing alone and starting off the new year in anticipation of meeting my brother and his family up in ash land I had a very good memory of gunstock it should be busy It should be visited frequently reported
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    I'll push the border issue and mention Whiteface. For being the only eastern mountain that has hosted the Olympics (2X) and having arguably the beat all around ski town in the East, it rarely gets a nod. 
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited April 26 Posts: 1,864
    ciscokid said: New years day of 2005 I was privileged to ski gun stock. I don't know if it was the closest area from Manchester airport or if the name was intriguing but I sure cannot forget the beautiful view of the big lake W on the summit riding a nice fairly new high-speed quad

I would love to revisit that area again with more trails are open and with some ski friends but in retrospect skiing alone and starting off the new year in anticipation of meeting my brother and his family up in ash land I had a very good memory of gunstock it should be busy It should be visited frequently reported

----
    I'm not saying that Gunstock, as well as the other proposed areas for this list, aren't great areas!  What I think I am saying is that for some reason SJ has not attracted an advocate for those areas.  I remember in SJ1.0 days, "skiingchef" used to be "the Bromley person", "katbennett" used to be the "Cranmore person", etc.
    Brenton Woods was in the area that was not reported on to frequently but recently with the addition of a new T-bar there have been more trip reports from BW. And again I was privileged to ski there a couple days after gun stock and had a very nice day by myself with nice views of the west side of Mount Washington it was in between skiing with my brother at wildcat and canon

I wish I lived in New England and had the time and money to ski at some of these smaller areas especially in Maine that I was studying last week they are areas that are right up my alley with t bars
    NJSki said:

I'll push the border issue and mention Whiteface. For being the only eastern mountain that has hosted the Olympics (2X) and having arguably the beat all around ski town in the East, it rarely gets a nod. 

----
    Not sure what NY areas beyond Plattekill really get a lot of play on SJ.
    ciscokid said:

Brenton Woods was in the area that was not reported on to frequently but recently with the addition of a new T-bar there have been more trip reports from BW. And again I was privileged to ski there a couple days after gun stock and had a very nice day by myself with nice views of the west side of Mount Washington it was in between skiing with my brother at wildcat and canon

I wish I lived in New England and had the time and money to ski at some of these smaller areas especially in Maine that I was studying last week they are areas that are right up my alley with t bars

Ah: therein is the magical secret! Just add a new t-bar and watch the visits and SJ trip reports escalate! :D
  • ski_itski_it expert

I know what Joshua means but I'm with Mapnut on this one. We try darn it. You'all are forgetting my infamous, Guess All these Areas post from last fall too. ;)

One bad aspect of having just a Peak Pass. Hard to ski off pass, although I managed 5 off pass area trip reports plus one base visit this season. Of those; Plymouth, McIntyre & Gateway aren't mentioned too much.

BTW - I have two BW reports on this version of SJ alone.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Gunstock and Bromley at perched atop my NE must-ski list: Gunstock for the incredible view and Bromley because it's so, well, sunny and southern-facing! :D
  • newmannewman advanced
    Not a lot of Bousquet
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Bolton Valley
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Attatash
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced
    Burke in New England and Gore in NY
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Burke gets lots of mention on SJ IMO
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 26 Posts: 1,795
    I did two Attitash TRs since August & one last season but other than that I agree.
    Wait...someone could build a search query and count the number of times each 86+ ski areas in NE get mentioned. Just not me
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I feel like Bolton has been mentioned quite a bit recently. I find a trip report and there have been mentions in numerous threads.
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited April 27 Posts: 1,148
    Aside from the members who do the really cool trip reports -- which we have a lot of, actually -- seems to me that the frequency/popularity of specific ski area mentions goes up and down with users who come and go.  

A few years back we had a couple of Whiteface fans, so that got more action at that time.  Seems people either love or hate Whiteface, always pretty interesting.

Ragged used to get a lot of play when Joshua S. was there and (not sure if this overlapped) it also got a lot of play when it fell on hard times.  Then it was quiet for a while, but now recently we have a few who seem to get there more often.

When Swiftskier was on board we routinely discussed Ski Sonnenberg of all things, albeit with a variety of different spellings.  He spelled it so many different ways I think it would win the "most names for a single ski area" thread

Camelback was one of our top ski areas when Alex was around!  Not mentioned much anymore

Years ago when some of the charter members were still recent Lyndon State grads, Lyndon Outing Club would get mentioned quite a bit, nowadays it's been off the radar until tthe recent guess-the-area thread

I agree with above post more or less saying they come and go as users do

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    My goal some season is to hit every Vermont area in one year, the next year NH and the following year MA and finally ME. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

My goal some season is to hit every Vermont area in one year, the next year NH and the following year MA and finally ME. 

Lots of BMW trip reports to come in the next few years.
    That's a lofty goal, go for it, looking forward to many pictured reports.

Aside from the members who do the really cool trip reports -- which we have a lot of, actually -- seems to me that the frequency/popularity of specific ski area mentions goes up and down with users who come and go.  

A few years back we had a couple of Whiteface fans, so that got more action at that time.  Seems people either love or hate Whiteface, always pretty interesting.

Ragged used to get a lot of play when Joshua S. was there and (not sure if this overlapped) it also got a lot of play when it fell on hard times.  Then it was quiet for a while, but now recently we have a few who seem to get there more often.

When Swiftskier was on board we routinely discussed Ski Sonnenberg of all things, albeit with a variety of different spellings.  He spelled it so many different ways I think it would win the "most names for a single ski area" thread

Camelback was one of our top ski areas when Alex was around!  Not mentioned much anymore

Years ago when some of the charter members were still recent Lyndon State grads, Lyndon Outing Club would get mentioned quite a bit, nowadays it's been off the radar until tthe recent guess-the-area thread

I agree with above post more or less saying they come and go as users do

Yea I miss Alex Zandaman4 aprice, especially his wife's brownies. He hiked Snow Bowl and skied Camelback and showed us around then fell off the map.Lake Hopatcong rez.

Then there was Swifty, looselumberjack, amongst many other names. He was the best.
    bmwskier said:

Don't forget one season for RI/CT!
    - Sam
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    edited April 28 Posts: 357
    That's also on the agenda as well! I'm going to start in Southern Vermont as I haven't skied there yet--- I've done everything more or less (but Cochran's) north of Route 4 but have missed Okemo, Suicide 6, Stratton, MT Snow, Bromley and Magic. So, I figure I'd start at the bottom of route 100 and work my way north. 

I turn 50 this year so it's a good goal-- of course I want to start parachuting as well for my 50th and while I'm at it start learning how to fly a glider too. Oh, and do the Great Great Mountain Gap Run on my motorcycle. 

I'm going to use the reports and lists here to start plotting and planning...
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    Reaching the half century club is a major mental milestone! Of course that's been eight yrs ago for me.

Glad I did Okemo, Mt Snow , Bromley in my teens, still living off those memories. In addition Bush , Glen Ellen , MRG, and Smuggs

Those were the days
    Summary #1:

Mohawk, CT
    Sundown, CT

Big Rock, ME

Butternut, MA
    Catamount, MA

Attitash, NH
    Cranmore, NH
    Gunstock, NH

Bromley, VT
    Suicide Six
    ---
    IMO. the following recommended areas have received a fair amount of SJ2.0 coverage.  Let me know if you disagree.  I chose not to include NY, because I don't think any NY areas are well covered on SJ2.0 at this time.

Plymouth Notch, VT (because it is a private area)
    Smuggler's Notch, VT

What can you add or argue?
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    We chatted about S6 when they had the chair thing happen.  What else is there to say?  ;)

Attitash and Smuggs get some love every now and then, but agree not much in relation to their respective significance in the marketplace

All the rest are pretty spot on!

We used to talk about Cranmore all the time when we had their marketing person on the forum, and Jeremy D used to do occasional reports and coverage of a vintage race there.  Nowadays hardly a peep
    I don't know what the qualifications of a major ski area here on this road but I guess if butternut qualifies I would say there are a few in Maine besides the big S's I particularly remember going to Camden because there was a world famous store in that town that my wife wantedto visit and Camden was small but big to me. I think there are several other what we would define here as minor-league ski areas in Maine which may fall under the radar frequently but may qualify to be listed on this thread

I think Saddleback got more gets more exposure now that it's closed than it did when it was open
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Right Kid, I think Pleasant Mt., ME (aka Shawnee Peak) with its Portland traffic probably has a high ratio of skier-days to SJ-mentions. It's the biggest Maine area I never skied when I lived in Maine.
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    edited May 5 Posts: 155
    Stowe (used to see this quite a bit on SkiVT-L)
    Gore [OK, OK so it's not in New England]
    Pico

"I need a powder day"
  • loafasaurloafasaur intermediate
    edited May 4 Posts: 29
    Black Mtn. of Maine needs more love.  It has good challenge now, especially tree skiing.