Major New England Areas not Frequently Mentioned on SJ

2»

Comments

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    This is a little off topic, sorry. Mapnut. Pleasant Mountain, where you never skied, is the first place I ever tried real skiing. Until that time I had, on occasion as a little kid  in Middletown, Conn., slid down hill on wooden skis without metal edges and with a leather toe strap over overshoes. No way could I make 'em turn. 
    When I was 30 I decided to try real skiing. I had leather, ankle-high boots with a leather strap over each instep. I borrowed a pair of 7'2" long wooden (what else?) Dartmouth skis with beartrap bindings, headed for Maine and Pleasant Mountain,climbed up the side of a trail. put the skis on (You didn't step into them then, you put them on) aimed down hill, pushed off and damned near killed myself. When I realized I was still alive, I kept at it until I could make snowplow turns, sort of, and the rest is history - at least my history. I went back once more to Pleasant, but haven't been back since.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    No apology necessary, Bill, you're prompting me to reminisce also. I started off on similarly antiquated equipment, but in 1968! Metal edges and plastic bases, at least, and release bindings were available by then. But I started off on all-wood skis and lace boots my father had bought in the late 1940s, just because we already had them. My first days were at Eaton Mt. and Colby. I think I got new gear for Christmas 1969.
  • verticaldropverticaldrop intermediate
    Not in new England but Hunter is never mentioned any more ...... what ever happened to that guy that lived right at Hunter ?  what was his screen name?     Id like to hear more about Smuggs, one of a handful in NE I have not been to 
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited May 4 Posts: 1,433
    Bill29 said:

This is a little off topic, sorry. Mapnut. Pleasant Mountain, where you never skied, is the first place I ever tried real skiing. Until that time I had, on occasion as a little kid  in Middletown, Conn., slid down hill on wooden skis without metal edges and with a leather toe strap over overshoes. No way could I make 'em turn. 

When I was 30 I decided to try real skiing. I had leather, ankle-high boots with a leather strap over each instep. I borrowed a pair of 7'2" long wooden (what else?) Dartmouth skis with beartrap bindings, headed for Maine and Pleasant Mountain,climbed up the side of a trail. put the skis on (You didn't step into them then, you put them on) aimed down hill, pushed off and damned near killed myself. When I realized I was still alive, I kept at it until I could make snowplow turns, sort of, and the rest is history - at least my history. I went back once more to Pleasant, but haven't been back since.
    These are the kind of old story's I have come to love from Bill. After looking at Pleasant mountain Maine's history with Shawnee being its current name
    http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Maine/shawneepeak.php

I can envision Bill flailing wildly.

Hey Bill those Dartmouth Cooperative skis
    made in Hanover NH are worth a few bucks
    https://www.vintageskiworld.com/1940-s-Dartmouth-Vintage-Downhill-Skis-p/skis-dartmouth-ridgetop.htm?gclid=CLKU752w19MCFdm6wAodWNQK6g

Hey 6'9" long, I can finally look eye to eye
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I skied Smuggs years ago and took my senior test there. It's a bit harder to get to as anyone coming up from the south has to either go north to Morrisvile and then west on 15 to get to Jeffersonville and then get onto 108 or do 89 to 15E and approach it from the other side of Mansfield. 

I do want to get back there, though the lack of HSQ's makes for a long day. It's also got a triple black diamond for some real fun!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • newmannewman advanced

Not in new England but Hunter is never mentioned any more ...... what ever happened to that guy that lived right at Hunter ?  what was his screen name?     Id like to hear more about Smuggs, one of a handful in NE I have not been to 

Hunter is in the other New England. Ka-Pow.
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    ciscokid said:

Aside from the members who do the really cool trip reports -- which we have a lot of, actually -- seems to me that the frequency/popularity of specific ski area mentions goes up and down with users who come and go.  

A few years back we had a couple of Whiteface fans, so that got more action at that time.  Seems people either love or hate Whiteface, always pretty interesting.

Ragged used to get a lot of play when Joshua S. was there and (not sure if this overlapped) it also got a lot of play when it fell on hard times.  Then it was quiet for a while, but now recently we have a few who seem to get there more often.

When Swiftskier was on board we routinely discussed Ski Sonnenberg of all things, albeit with a variety of different spellings.  He spelled it so many different ways I think it would win the "most names for a single ski area" thread

Camelback was one of our top ski areas when Alex was around!  Not mentioned much anymore

Years ago when some of the charter members were still recent Lyndon State grads, Lyndon Outing Club would get mentioned quite a bit, nowadays it's been off the radar until tthe recent guess-the-area thread

I agree with above post more or less saying they come and go as users do

Yea I miss Alex Zandaman4 aprice, especially his wife's brownies. He hiked Snow Bowl and skied Camelback and showed us around then fell off the map.Lake Hopatcong rez.

Then there was Swifty, looselumberjack, amongst many other names. He was the best.
    So let's talk Camelback.  Still a pass holder there though not in attendance as much as I also have a Max Pass and for the most part Mrs 4aprice and I are "empty nesters" and enjoy our weekends in New England and vacations out west.  CBK is still the home bump.

imageimage

Cliffhanger after Stella

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    IMG_1325.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    IMG_1328.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    I haven't been around as much so maybe I missed it, but I'd say Stratton is not talked about much around here.

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    From my experience here,

New England:
    1.Bolton
    2.Saddleback

Those places of which we do not speak
    1.Gore

From my experience throughout my travels in the East, I feel that Gore Mountain is possibly the most under-appreciated, leased discussed mountain there is on the entire eastern seaboard.
    ~Rich~
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    edited June 29 Posts: 95
    ADKskier said:

1.Gore

From my experience throughout my travels in the East, I feel that Gore Mountain is possibly the most under-appreciated, leased discussed mountain there is on the entire eastern seaboard.
    Shhh. :-$ Us people who ski there occasionally don't want to start experiencing crowded lodges and long lift lines.

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ADKskier said:

1.Gore

SLITHERIN!  GO TO WHITEFACE!

sorting hat.jpg
    736 x 679 - 52K
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced

ADKskier said:

1.Gore

SLITHERIN!  GO TO WHITEFACE!

;))
    ~Rich~
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    edited June 29 Posts: 25
    ADKskier said:

From my experience here,

New England:
    1.Bolton
    2.Saddleback

1.Gore

Gore has gotten some love on AZ but I would mostly agree its under-appreciated.  I believe a lot of that has to do with the lack of facilities close to the mountain.  Lake George is a great town in summer but mostly closed in the winter.  That may not seem important to the hard core here but much of the rest of the skiing population it's the skiing + the amenities that count.  

I would say Windham doesn't get discussed either here or AZ.  That will have to change next year as I have 5 days there on Max and will be glad to file  TR's if I can get my photo's to work properly.  I've never skied it in good conditions so I hope for a new experience there next year.

With the passing of Tom Corcoran, I thought of Waterville Valley as an area that doesn't get the love in New England.  A lot of people pan the place but I've had some good days there.  Last one was a Good Friday a couple of years ago with beautiful spring bumps on True Grit and the woods next door in play.  Good times.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice said:

ADKskier said:

From my experience here,

New England:
    1.Bolton
    2.Saddleback

1.Gore

Gore has gotten some love on AZ but I would mostly agree its under-appreciated.  I believe a lot of that has to do with the lack of facilities close to the mountain.  Lake George is a great town in summer but mostly closed in the winter.  That may not seem important to the hard core here but much of the rest of the skiing population it's the skiing + the amenities that count.  

I would say Windham doesn't get discussed either here or AZ.  That will have to change next year as I have 5 days there on Max and will be glad to file  TR's if I can get my photo's to work properly.  I've never skied it in good conditions so I hope for a new experience there next year.

With the passing of Tom Corcoran, I thought of Waterville Valley as an area that doesn't get the love in New England.  A lot of people pan the place but I've had some good days there.  Last one was a Good Friday a couple of years ago with beautiful spring bumps on True Grit and the woods next door in play.  Good times.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Welcome to Snow Journal!

I would agree about Windham and I'd love to see some trip reports next season.
    - Sam
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Welcome back to SJ 4aprice!