Major New England Areas not Frequently Mentioned on SJ

2»

Comments

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    This is a little off topic, sorry. Mapnut. Pleasant Mountain, where you never skied, is the first place I ever tried real skiing. Until that time I had, on occasion as a little kid  in Middletown, Conn., slid down hill on wooden skis without metal edges and with a leather toe strap over overshoes. No way could I make 'em turn. 
    When I was 30 I decided to try real skiing. I had leather, ankle-high boots with a leather strap over each instep. I borrowed a pair of 7'2" long wooden (what else?) Dartmouth skis with beartrap bindings, headed for Maine and Pleasant Mountain,climbed up the side of a trail. put the skis on (You didn't step into them then, you put them on) aimed down hill, pushed off and damned near killed myself. When I realized I was still alive, I kept at it until I could make snowplow turns, sort of, and the rest is history - at least my history. I went back once more to Pleasant, but haven't been back since.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    No apology necessary, Bill, you're prompting me to reminisce also. I started off on similarly antiquated equipment, but in 1968! Metal edges and plastic bases, at least, and release bindings were available by then. But I started off on all-wood skis and lace boots my father had bought in the late 1940s, just because we already had them. My first days were at Eaton Mt. and Colby. I think I got new gear for Christmas 1969.
  • verticaldropverticaldrop intermediate
    Not in new England but Hunter is never mentioned any more ...... what ever happened to that guy that lived right at Hunter ?  what was his screen name?     Id like to hear more about Smuggs, one of a handful in NE I have not been to 
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited May 4 Posts: 1,232
    Bill29 said:

This is a little off topic, sorry. Mapnut. Pleasant Mountain, where you never skied, is the first place I ever tried real skiing. Until that time I had, on occasion as a little kid  in Middletown, Conn., slid down hill on wooden skis without metal edges and with a leather toe strap over overshoes. No way could I make 'em turn. 

When I was 30 I decided to try real skiing. I had leather, ankle-high boots with a leather strap over each instep. I borrowed a pair of 7'2" long wooden (what else?) Dartmouth skis with beartrap bindings, headed for Maine and Pleasant Mountain,climbed up the side of a trail. put the skis on (You didn't step into them then, you put them on) aimed down hill, pushed off and damned near killed myself. When I realized I was still alive, I kept at it until I could make snowplow turns, sort of, and the rest is history - at least my history. I went back once more to Pleasant, but haven't been back since.
    These are the kind of old story's I have come to love from Bill. After looking at Pleasant mountain Maine's history with Shawnee being its current name
    http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Maine/shawneepeak.php

I can envision Bill flailing wildly.

Hey Bill those Dartmouth Cooperative skis
    made in Hanover NH are worth a few bucks
    https://www.vintageskiworld.com/1940-s-Dartmouth-Vintage-Downhill-Skis-p/skis-dartmouth-ridgetop.htm?gclid=CLKU752w19MCFdm6wAodWNQK6g

Hey 6'9" long, I can finally look eye to eye
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I skied Smuggs years ago and took my senior test there. It's a bit harder to get to as anyone coming up from the south has to either go north to Morrisvile and then west on 15 to get to Jeffersonville and then get onto 108 or do 89 to 15E and approach it from the other side of Mansfield. 

I do want to get back there, though the lack of HSQ's makes for a long day. It's also got a triple black diamond for some real fun!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • newmannewman advanced

Not in new England but Hunter is never mentioned any more ...... what ever happened to that guy that lived right at Hunter ?  what was his screen name?     Id like to hear more about Smuggs, one of a handful in NE I have not been to 

Hunter is in the other New England. Ka-Pow.