Lost CANADIAN areas, have you skied any? MAD PAT

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited April 30 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,232
Studying some Ontario areas to check out on possible trip east.

Saw Talisman on a atlas ten years old now lost as is Old Smokey Nova Scotia that I drove by 10 yrs back

Has anyone ever skied any of these?

http://skicanadamag.com/closed-runs/

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 29 Posts: 1,548
    I've skied Gray Rocks Quebec in 2008 but it ain't listed here that I could see
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Rocks
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    My list includes: Gray Rocks, Mt. Garceau, Mt. Hibou, Mt. Joye, Honorable mention to Mt. Echo which just came back on line.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Garceau lost? They ran NorAm races there this year....
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Guess this area

IMG_1353.JPG
    499 x 320 - 53K
    edited April 30 Posts: 1,232
    They don't list Wawa Ontario ski area that I hiked 10/'08 with Timberland Ellicott lifts. I emailed them. 1966 new area with 400 foot vertical

http://www.skilifts.org/old/install_na1966.htm

Can see ski area vaguely next to High Falls motel and cabins

https://www.google.com/maps/place/High+Falls+Cabins+&+Motel,+280+ON-17,+Wawa,+ON+P0S+1K0,+Canada/@47.947
    1347,-84.8114197,16z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4d47a0969749bf59:0xd2f0d9f8d4f2189?
    hl=en-US

Ski_it look at this oxbow river at Searchmont

https://www.google.com/maps/place/High+Falls+Cabins+&+Motel,+280+ON-17,+Wawa,+ON+P0S+1K0,+Canada/@46.7692683,-84.0516435,13z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4d47a0969749bf59:0xd2f0d9f8d4f2189?hl=en-US
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

Cut-and-paste error.  Was Mt. Habitant closed for a few seasons?
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    Mont Glen and maybe Baldy in BC. Hopefully Baldy can make a good of it.
  • ski_itski_it expert

"Ski_it look at this oxbow river at Searchmont."

Wow I see more than 20 oxbows

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ciscokid said:

Guess this area

Cape Smokey, not old Smokey Nova S
    Hanging in by a thread
    IMG_1354.JPG
    479 x 293 - 99K
  • drsmoothdrsmooth novice
    edited May 4 Posts: 3
     I've skied Big Thunder. Not well known for downhill skiing facilities and trails, better known for Nordic disciplines and Freestyle (yes Ski Jumping is considered Nordic Skiing).

I was there for the Ontario High school championships Slalom and Giant Slalom.    https://www.google.ca/search?q=big+thunder+ski+area&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=2awKWav_L4eXjwT5grjgCA

drsmooth said:

I've skied Big Thunder. Not well known for downhill skiing facilities and trails, better known for Nordic disciplines and Freestyle (yes Ski Jumping is considered Nordic Skiing).

I was there for the Ontario High school championships Slalom and Giant Slalom.    https://www.google.ca/search?q=big+thunder+ski+area&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-
    8&gws_rd=cr&ei=2awKWav_L4eXjwT5grjgCA

Welcome drsmpooth, if it weren't for your post I wouldn't have learned of Loch Lomand or Baldy( a centerpole double and a tbar!) I brake4tbars get to work you sleuth!
    ciscokid said:

drsmooth said:

I was there for the Ontario High school championships Slalom and Giant Slalom.    https://www.google.ca/search?q=big+thunder+ski+area&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-

Welcome drsmpooth, if it weren't for your post I wouldn't have learned of Loch Lomand or Baldy( a centerpole double and a tbar!) I brake4tbars get to work you sleuth!
    I think the Baldy lift you're referring to is the McKinney Tee. What searching I've done didn't turn up a pic.

IBRAKE

For what it is worth, Big Thunder had a T-Bar unlike any I have ever seen. Each "T" had a spring on the outside of the pole mounted to the cable. Also the T-Bar had a bridge over top of a trail. The bridge was only as wide as the T-Bar track. If someone fell on the track in the bridge section, it would ensure a pile up since there was no way around it.  
    ciscokid said:

drsmooth said:

Who am I not to agree to a challenge! Behold the Loch Lomond t-bar!

IBRAKE

IMG_2322.PNG
    1242 x 2208 - 2M
  • edited May 6 Posts: 847
    drsmooth said:

For what it is worth, Big Thunder had a T-Bar unlike any I have ever seen. Each "T" had a spring on the outside of the pole mounted to the cable. Also the T-Bar had a bridge over top of a trail. The bridge was only as wide as the T-Bar track. If someone fell on the track in the bridge section, it would ensure a pile up since there was no way around it.  

This sounds like a classic Constam t-bar like what would've been seen at Sugarloaf in its pre-gondola days. Did the lift at Big Thunder look like this?

IBRAKEimage
    IMG_2325.PNG
    2208 x 1242 - 6M
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate

Cut-and-paste error.  Was Mt. Habitant closed for a few seasons?
    You're probably thinking about La Réserve (same village as Garceau). Marceau and Habitant are still active.

Cape Smokey (Nova Scotia) is back, it has reopened a few years ago. In fact, it was include in my Eastern Closing Thread as it was still spinning in early April. This list is very incomplet, some have been merged or renamed. 

Now the question at hand, I have skied any of the "lost" ski areas.

Alberta 
    Fortress Mountain Resort, Calgary (Kananaskis) - yes, back in 2002

Quebec 
    Beaver Lake Ski Tow, Montréal - yes (see link TR at bottom)
    Big Hill 50, Laurentians - no
    Centre de Ski Lac Carling, Pine Hill - no
    Centre de ski St-Georges, Chaudière-Appalaches - not lost
    Centre de ski Val d’Or, Abitibi-Témiscamingue - not lost
    Hill 68, Laurentians (now part of St. Sauveur) - not really lost as they all merge into MSS
    Hill 69, Laurentians (now part of St. Sauveur) - not really lost as they all merge into MSS
    Hill 70, Laurentians (now part of St. Sauveur) - not really lost as they all merge into MSS
    Hill 71, Laurentians (now part of St. Sauveur) - not really lost as they all merge into MSS
    Hill 72, Laurentians (now part of St. Sauveur) - not really lost as they all merge into MSS
    Mont Alouette, Laurentians - I remember the hill, I might have skied here as a kid?
    Mont Castor, Laurentians - I remember the hill, I might have skied here as a kid?
    Mont Césaire , Laurentians - no
    Mont Christie, Laurentians - I remember the hill, I might have skied here as a kid?
    Mont Pontbriand, Rawdon - no
    Mont Sainte-Agathe - I remember the hill, I might have skied here as a kid?
    Mont Sauvage, Laurentians - yes, since they reopened a few years ago
    Mont Snow, Rawdon - no
    St. Jerome, Laurentians - no
    Station touristique La Crapaudière, Chaudière- Appalaches - no
    Sun Valley, Laurentians - yes
    Université de Montréal Ski Tow, Montréal - probably as a kid
    Vallée Taconique, Gaspésie - no longer lost

Some other places I've skied or might have skied (lost or merged into an existing ski areas).

Mont Faustin, yes, prior to being merged into part of Mt. Blanc, Laurentians
    Gray Rocks, Laurentians - yes, many times
    Glen Mountain, Eastern Townships - yes
    Mont Laval, Laval - yes
    Mont Echo, Eastern Townships - probably skied a few times as a kid
    Rougemont - I remember the hill, I might have skied here as a kid?
    Shefford - I remember the hill, I might have skied here as a kid?

The few areas I'm not sure about, I would have skied here in the 1970s as a kid. I've been keeping a detail ski outings since I've been 16 (1981-82).

Here is a TR from one of those lost hill...probably my first ski outing.

Beaver Lake – circa 1968
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    Wow, so much homework to do to keep learning of our northern neighbors

Pat, where can I find your pictured trip reports from last weeks Canadian Rockies ski safari?
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    ciscokid said:

Wow, so much homework to do to keep learning of our northern neighbors

Pat, where can I find your pictured trip reports from last weeks Canadian Rockies ski safari?

Right now, nowhere online. I'm head over heels with my taxes (which I didn't finish before my trip).

I have a list of active ski areas in Quebec in 1979 which was around 110. Now I believe the official count to be about 75-80.

I posted some old brochure stuff on my blog, some of those ski areas are now lost like Christie, La Réserve (pre-closure and reopening), Mont Alta, Mont Sauvage (now reborn), Glen, Shefford, heliskiing in the Chic Chocs .... and some in the US Northeast.

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

drsmooth said:

This sounds like a classic Constam t-bar like what would've been seen at Sugarloaf in its pre-gondola days. Did the lift at Big Thunder look like this?

IBRAKEimage
    It did look like this, it was even the same "color, or colour", depending on how you spell it!!!