724 x 857 - 201K

Comments

• SpruceSpruce intermediate
    Fortunately no injuries.
  • obienickobienick expert
    I'm guessing the winch cable snapped?
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited May 2 Posts: 213
    Spoke to my son last night (lives in SLC and instructs part time at Snowbird) and he said they had 55" of snow at Snowbird last week.  He did not mention the incident, but my son said Apr 29 was a fun powder day.  Maybe stormy weather contributed to the incident?
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I wonder how much damage to the actual cat.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

I wonder how much damage to the actual cat.

At minimum probably a new cable for the winch.

Beyond that, who knows??  Still not sure if it was a case of say operator error where the operator went too far laterally from the winches anchor point and the cable contacted the tower, or if it was a failure of either the winch or it's anchor point or the cable itself causing the cable to "whip" into the tower.

Operating a cat, in a storm (as if I'm not mistaken was going on that day) likely in limited to no sunlight isn't an easy thing, and unless one has been in a cat, especially if it was dark out at the time, it's really tough to fathom how much constant focus it requires.....
  • skirickskirick intermediate

Rode that lift a number of times in February but I'm having a hard time recalling any steep enough groomed terrain that would need to be winched anywhere under it.

• obienickobienick expert
    Winches are used on a lot flatter terrain than you may think.  When I was at Killington I noticed a winch post on either Reason or the blue section of East Fall.
  • zapadazapada novice
    skirick said:

Rode that lift a number of times in February but I'm having a hard time recalling any steep enough groomed terrain that would need to be winched anywhere under it.

Winches are also used for for moving big quantities or heave snow - think slushy spring conditions or, in the case of Utah, grooming a big fresh snowfall.
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    zapada said:

skirick said:

Winches are also used for for moving big quantities or heave snow - think slushy spring conditions or, in the case of Utah, grooming a big fresh snowfall.
    Didn't realize that part of it. I just thought they had permanent anchors only on the steep ones.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    There's a discussion at this link on what happened in this incident:

synopsis:  4/30, a groomer last night caught the haul rope of Peruvian and pulled it off the sheaves.  By 5/6 the Peruvian lift was up and running, it took them pretty much all week to fix the sheaves and get the haul rope back on again.