Killington 5/6 questions

montebedimontebedi intermediate
in The Pit Posts: 23
So I am thinking of taking the trip to killington this saturday with my 8 and 10 year old daughter.  I have yet to go there so I am unfamiliar with the terain.  So based on the pod of trails around superstar that was open I am trying to gauge if it is suitable for their skill level.  
So I would say they are solid intermediate skiers.  We skied 10 days at Camelback this year they were solid on green and blues but road a few diamonds there and were fine.  They love bumps and they are thinking the warmer conditions should make the snow a lot slower so they will be able to manage harder trails.  Any thought would be appreciated.

Comments

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    From my late season recollection (Memorial Day weekend 2015) at Killington, the bumps are very big in ungroomed areas. The only "groomed" areas are where the running water washes out the snow and they have the snowcats staged in places to quicklly push snow when the lifts top spinning. With that said, the bumps could be tricky, and they are quite the work out. I remember having a lot of trouble staying comfortable after a few runs, BUT I am a snowboarder and bumps are not conducive to the boards. I think they should be alright, but make sure they are well fed and hydrated before and during.
  • verticaldropverticaldrop intermediate
    I think the headwall is going to be a bit much to say the least for an 8 and 10 year old.  I would not drive up from PA for it with little kids.  This trail was used for a world cup race this year its steep, more so at the beginning and end, (and long by mid atlantic standards).     
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    The weather tomorrow is supposed to be as challenging as the terrain!  And regarding the 8 to 10 year old: It's more about the skill level than the age.  If the youngster routinely and comfortably skis Diamonds and Double-diamonds (and enjoys them enough to realize there are no easy cruisers to catch one's breath on), it should be fine.
  • montebedimontebedi intermediate

The weather tomorrow is supposed to be as challenging as the terrain!  And regarding the 8 to 10 year old: It's more about the skill level than the age.  If the youngster routinely and comfortably skis Diamonds and Double-diamonds (and enjoys them enough to realize there are no easy cruisers to catch one's breath on), it should be fine.

Right so they verging on diamonds at camelback (love the easiest one but struggle a little with the others) with and can handle steep sections love bumps so that is not a problem.  I agree with mtsnow123 find them tricky on the board but they love them on skis.  I saw from the superstar cam that is seems to have pretty steady pitch but i guess too are other trails likley to be open or might we be down to one run by saturday.  
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    montebedi said:

Right so they verging on diamonds at camelback (love the easiest one but struggle a little with the others) with and can handle steep sections love bumps so that is not a problem.  I agree with mtsnow123 find them tricky on the board but they love them on skis.  I saw from the superstar cam that is seems to have pretty steady pitch but i guess too are other trails likley to be open or might we be down to one run by saturday.  
    The webcam only shows about the last quarter to fifth of the trail, there are steeper sections.
    You can check my Sunday, Apr. 30 report on the Killington thread - and I am planning to be there on the 7th.  I don't think much will have changed.  Superstar T2B is fine and they count that as 3 trails, Skyelark T2B should be OK and they count that as 2 trails).  Upper High Road may be gone, but it is not that important, except to connect from Superstar to Lower Bittersweet.  Lower Bittersweet should be OK.  Skyehawk was already "some walking required, both at the top and bottom and I suspect that will be done for the season.

Re Superstar: Top is steep, but short; the middle is mellow; the bottom is steep and tends to get clumped and tough by noon.
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    Tough call.  Weather isn't looking great, probably not much sun to soften things, so the next weekend might be better.  However, the easier trails may be gone by then.  My girls had a bit of a tough time on the Superstar Headwall last Sunday.  But no problems at all on the easier trails.  Superstar was also groomed down the middle after the headwall, so they could go in an out of the bumps as they pleased.  Too bad the rains came a washed out a good chunk of the day.  Got a full day in at Sugerbush on Sat, so not terrible.  Anyway, good chance it will be cold enough for grooming, so they might not have to deal with the few steeper bumps unless they want to.
    FYI: From the Killington website:
    We're closed Tuesday-Friday, May 2-5 and plan to reopen on Saturday, May 6. We have decided not to open this Friday, May 5 due to forecasted rain and high winds.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited May 5 Posts: 790
    From a DEM analysis I did for fun ahead of the WC, the top headwall is ~60% and Preston's Pitch is ~54% while the middle bit is ~35-40%.  With massive spring bumps, it doesn't seem too suitable for 8 and 10 year olds.

For comparison sake, GoogleEarth (which isn't the best data source) shows Cliffhanger at Camelback maxing out at about a ~45% sustained pitch.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    IMO you'd be better off on a nice April wknd with warm temps and a lot more terrain the explore.
    Help me out obienick: I assume DEM means Digital Elevation Model.  What does and WC mean.  All I can figure out is "Water Cooler".
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    My best guess is he had to pee and went to the "Water Closet".  My 2nd guess would be "World Cup".  :-)
    edited May 5 Posts: 33
    ... if your blatantly not going to acknowledge anything I said then go ahead and bring the little angels up. an 8 year old girl going right off the lift onto a 35 degree slope with moguls and no warm up sounds like a party to me. and guess what the middle is steep too, I have no ego issues so I can admit it........  enjoy the 12 hours of driving for what is sure to be 1 miserable run.....   
    Ive been on this site for 13 years and ive never seen it so boring....  nobody even posts pics any more except a couple people so I don't really have a reason to come here and when I post pics no one gives a shit........I have 20 from the last day at ragged this season when they closed at 100 percent but why bother for the unappreciative small click you now are...
    To verticaldrop:  I don't know which threads you're reading, but there are plenty of photos on SJ. I personally choose not to take photos.

I'm sorry you feel like you were mistreated at Crotched Mtn. by me or anyone else.  

Please keep in mind, SJ is a "family friendly site" and find your last two postings to be more consistent with other forums, so on behalf of SJ, please clean up the previous postings accordingly.

You said:

I think the headwall is going to be a bit much to say the least for an 8 and 10 year old.  I would not drive up from PA for it with little kids.  This trail was used for a world cup race this year its steep, more so at the beginning and end, (and long by mid atlantic standards).     

As to skiing steeps, it's (IMO) a matter of skill - not age.  I see 8 to 10 year olds on Superstar frequently who are skiing it very well.  They must be enjoying themselves because I see them taking many runs - and, if you are a late spring regular, it doesn't take many weeks until you start seeing the same faces again and again - both adults and kids.  So I fundamentally disagree with you.

That being said, I've never seen montebedi's kids, so I don't know how they ski nor do I know their personalities to know if they would enjoy it.
    ask the star if he remembers this...it was actually 3 years ago....first saturday of season....I step up to the outside window to buy tix at crotched because someone was inside at it.... turned out to be using the space to do something completely different than selling tix and it turned out it was chris ive seen him on the tv....any how he looked at me like I was retarded and said "yes ?" (obnoxiously) I said 2 adults 2 kids with rentals and helmets for the kids please. and he said "you need to go inside LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" woth his obnoxious entitled attitude as if I was trying to cut what turned out to be an absolute s show inside with people picking up passes......I really had no idea you couldn't get tix outside and was not trying to pull a fast one..... I hope they have improved the way they pass out season passes because I had to wait forever to buy a day lift ticket....they needed different lines for different transactions......   Joshua go ahead and fix it for me and I wont squeal like a pig I promise
    Yes Joshua, DEM stands for Digital Elevation Model. My data source was the USGS LiDAR, which is the best out there.

WC was short for World Cup.
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    I've seen many "precious little ones" skiing moguls on a Black Diamond trail like I ski Green groomed... ability is individual and from your post you will all be OK. Especially if Skyelark is open... 

Hopefully you and the girls are already on the road...

Trolls give this board validity...gee, it's been a while.

"I need a powder day"
    edited May 5 Posts: 790

Ive been on this site for 13 years and ive never seen it so boring.... 

If you've been on this site for 13 years you'd know that certain 4-letter words (including the one you used) aren't accepted here, that not everyone transitioned from the old server, and it is normally slow this time of year.

im a 14 year contributing member that you've never even heard of im so quiet but  I say some things in 1 thread that ruffles the feathers of the little click and im a troll but im sorry you feel trolled because that really is the bottom line here...if you feel trolled, im a troller. group hug time. I was just trying to save someone a hassle who said they would appreciate any advice but because I didn't tell him what he wanted to hear I was blatantly ignored...   read it again ...... what the hell was his point..."look at me Im going to killington ?"

ask the star if he remembers this...it was actually 3 years ago....first saturday of season....I step up to the outside window to buy tix at crotched because someone was inside at it.... turned out to be using the space to do something completely different than selling tix and it turned out it was chris ive seen him on the tv....any how he looked at me like I was retarded and said "yes ?" (obnoxiously) I said 2 adults 2 kids with rentals and helmets for the kids please. and he said "you need to go inside LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" woth his obnoxious entitled attitude as if I was trying to cut what turned out to be an absolute s show inside with people picking up passes......I really had no idea you couldn't get tix outside and was not trying to pull a fast one..... I hope they have improved the way they pass out season passes because I had to wait forever to buy a day lift ticket....they needed different lines for different transactions......   Joshua go ahead and fix it for me and I wont squeal like a pig I promise

OK.  I made some minor edits in your earlier posts.  

You started with "ask the star".  Not sure who that is.

Customer service at Crotched Mountain tends to be pretty good.  For as long as I've been at CM (10 years), those outside ticket windows have never been used.  These days, there are signs on those windows that say "All tickets inside."  

I must say, I am relieved to hear that it wasn't me, because that was not clear from your first posting and I certainly didn't remember any incidents at that time!  If there is something I can do to bring you back and show you a better time, I will check with our management.  Just send me a PM at the beginning of next season when you want to come up here.

• mapnutmapnut expert

Verticaldrop, you sound like a butt-hurt troll to me - your first post seemed to be a complaint that the OP didn't acknowledge your advice! Not a good enough reason to call him what you called him.

You only have 33 posts as verticaldrop - who were you on Snowjournal 1.0?

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 6 Posts: 1,548
    See my Guess post on 4/29. Not one reply :( :(
    Of course people usually only reply to topics that interest them even if they read them. I read a lot of trip reports and do not reply because usually all I can muster is, Good Report. Likewise, I don't contribute to Rate This posts because it is way too subjective for my taste.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

I think he means HighwayStar, the notorious anti-Killington troll on certain other ski forums.
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    well, that was interesting.  

Here it is 5pm on Friday.  Which way will montebedi go?  It sounds dicey, but all adverntures start that way.  

Just for fun, take a look at Abasin.  OMG.  looks like mid winter and looks like both montezuma and east wall are still open.  You can normally fly to Denver in 5 hours.... just sayin.  
    obienick said:

I think he means HighwayStar, the notorious anti-Killington troll on certain other ski forums.
    I'm familiar with him from AZ and he usually only comments on Killington threads.  I don't think he ever posted on SJ.
    Their report shows that only Superstar will be open this weekend.
    - Sam

Their report shows that only Superstar will be open this weekend.

I just noticed that too.  I really thought they'd get another weekend out of Skyelark.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    Heh, all I can think of when verticaldrop said he recognized chris is
  • montebedimontebedi intermediate
    Hey so sorry I haven't gotten a chance to check this post in a while. Thank you everyone for the comments.
    Vertical drop thank you for you comments if I calculated correctly I have also been on this board for 13 years. Your advice was well taken, and by the way we were going up from Nyc not sure if that makes a difference in the drive time but I think it does. We just skied and rode at camelback got season pass there for this past season.
    We ended up decided Thursday night not to go. I explained the potential trail report and they were concerned about having no trail to really warm up on.
    When I checked the report this morning I was happy with decision I think only superstar would have been too much for them. Always next season planning on doing more exploring of areas next year so maybe I'll get there earlier in season.