Superstar Last Year Vs. This Year

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,797
As of now I give it a 50/50 chance of making it until June. Here are comparison photos from May 7 last year to May 7 this year. What does everyone else think?

2016image2017image2016image2017image2016image2017image
- Sam
image.jpeg
1224 x 816 - 156K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 303K
image.jpeg
1224 x 816 - 196K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 307K
image.jpeg
1224 x 816 - 214K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 372K

Comments

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    2 more weeks
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    They will lose very little this week, but still a long way to June...it will be close
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I haven't been this spring ( that will change this weekend), but from pictures and some video that I saw I'm thinking two more weeks of good top to bottom turns. After that, hopefully they can limp through Memorial Day weekend., by pushing snow around, and putting up tthe walking required signs. The bottom of the flat middle section looks suspect, on video anyway. I hope June is in the cards but a long way off.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Lots more snow down low than in years past plus no sign of the "S" on the lower headwall.

10 day forecast looks like below average temps, and if the possible Nor'easter like storm possibly forecasted for next weekend doesn't materialize liquid wise, things look good to give Superstar a good chance of June turns
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    Looks like less snow up top to me and a lot more snow down below. I haven't been yet this spring so this is going strictly off the pictures.
  • obienickobienick expert
    I agree. It looks like the snow is more uniformly spread out. Especially at the "S" on Preston's Pitch. That tells me (completely uninformed on the subject... just comparing pics) better odds for making it June. Last year they were just a weekend shy IIRC with the main issue being that "S".

I wonder how much the WC snowmaking helped. It forced them to blow wider than normal at the "S" and the freeze-thaw cyclicity of early season snowmaking plus the water injection for the races are bound to create a denser and thus more durable base.

How labor intensive is water injection? I've seen some video from Loveland on the subject. It seems only a couple people are needed and a trail can be done in a night. IMHO it might be worth it to do it part way through the base-building process on Superstar and/or Skyelark down the road if Killington no longer gets the WC races.
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    The hump look higher this year compared to last year. 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

hump.jpg
    480 x 360 - 18K
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    obienick said:

I agree. It looks like the snow is more uniformly spread out. Especially at the "S" on Preston's Pitch. That tells me (completely uninformed on the subject... just comparing pics) better odds for making it June. Last year they were just a weekend shy IIRC with the main issue being that "S".

I wonder how much the WC snowmaking helped. It forced them to blow wider than normal at the "S" and the freeze-thaw cyclicity of early season snowmaking plus the water injection for the races are bound to create a denser and thus more durable base.

How labor intensive is water injection? I've seen some video from Loveland on the subject. It seems only a couple people are needed and a trail can be done in a night. IMHO it might be worth it to do it part way through the base-building process on Superstar and/or Skyelark down the road if Killington no longer gets the WC races.

The water injection is fairly temporary (the water leaches and/or denser snow tilled), no real bearing on long term.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Didn't they do a massive push to make new snow on top of the injected snow to make SS skiable by the general public?
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I have heard, but can't confirm, that SS was never injected. Snow was made at marginal wet bulb that didn't require any additional water. I'll post the source if I find it. Regardless, hope it makes June!