Snow in southern VT May 13

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 163
Temperatures on top of the higher peaks in Southern VT like Mt. Snow are near freezing tonight, and the radar is showing mixed rain/snow...we should see some accumulations by morning.

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Yep. Mt. Snow base cam shows a dusting: https://www.mountsnow.com/our-media/cam-base/
    Summit cam does not connect
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Summit cam on YouTube shows about 6" of snow.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• RemskiRemski advanced
    edited May 14 Posts: 335
    top of Wildcat is buried and the same for Cannon
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Mount Washington summit had at least 14.5" today. It is still snowing hard there - another foot tonight possible!

JD
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    MT. Washington now at 23"
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Mount Washington just set all time snowstorm accumulation record for May. Definitely going to help out Tucks.

"A record snowfall left the summit of Mt. Washington with over two feet of snow Monday.

Officials at the Mount Washington Observatory recorded 33.3"of snow Monday. They say it ranks as the largest snowstorm ever recorded in May, as well as breaking a 24-hour May snowfall record.  

Authorities say the Mount Washington Auto Road was closed Monday after the weekend dump."

• ski_itski_it expert
    Over 45" for May so far. Not sure that is a record..yet. 24 hr & single storm yes.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited May 16 Posts: 255
    ski_it said:

Over 45" for May so far. Not sure that is a record..yet. 24 hr & single storm yes.

MWO's FB page mentioned the single storm and 24 hour records but not the monthly record, so I assume that will take a bit more snow. This season delivers yet again... it has been a season of big dumps and weird weather in between, right to the end.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    The monthly record is 95"

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• ski_itski_it expert

No Sugarloaf, the May Record Monthly Total of Snow, Ice Pellets & Hail is 95.8" set in 1997. ;)

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    When does the Mt Washington auto road normally open each year? Set date or when plowed free( like Going to sun and Beartooth)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    IMHO I don't think there is any set date. I thinks it more like when the drifts are dug out and any repairs needed are done. And then it may only go to the treeline at first. Usually early to mid May and the summit the last couple weeks of May to mid October. Of course it can close at any time due to the weather or for any of the special events they hold on the Road.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ciscokid said:

When does the Mt Washington auto road normally open each year? Set date or when plowed free( like Going to sun and Beartooth)

They try to be open by Memorial Day weekend, but open earlier when it makes sense to do so.