Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

2»

Comments

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    You might want to start with a look at the material on the 'Lost Ski Areas' website. They cover the original Crotched/Onset areas and the re-birth of the area under Peak Resorts quite fully. 
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

This seems like as good a place as any to put out a call for help. I'm looking for some contributions to my guide on Crotched Mountain. I'm building all the ski area guides as a wiki-style resource open for contributions from all registered members. I'd appreciate any contributions that you can offer.

Moderator note: I edited the URL in this posting which had a gratuitous http:// at the end of it.  Let me know if it doesn't work.
  • tededetedede advanced

This seems like as good a place as any to put out a call for help. I'm looking for some contributions to my guide on Crotched Mountain. I'm building all the ski area guides as a wiki-style resource open for contributions from all registered members. I'd appreciate any contributions that you can offer.

The Valley lift doesn't run mid-week mornings.  With lower traffic the summit routes are well covered.

During Midnight Madness, both the Valley Quad and East Double close before the Rocket.  If you have not been to the summit all night long, don't try it at 2:55 AM :)

The Valley lift doesn't run mid-week mornings.  With lower traffic the summit routes are well covered.

During Midnight Madness, both the Valley Quad and East Double close before the Rocket.  If you have not been to the summit all night long, don't try it at 2:55 AM :)

The Valley chair is used as backup on non-holiday weekday AMs.  If for some reason the Rocket is on either wind-hold or mechanical-hold, they have the Valley chair up in about 10 minutes.

And tedede's comment : "If you have not been to the summit all night long, don't try it at 2:55 AM :)" on the surface, may appear to be funny, it happens more often than you think, keeping patrol out on the mountain a lot later than they want to be!
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    The percentage of drunk or at least buzzed skiers seems to go up astronomically towards the later part of midnight madness.  Not a fan.  Nothing against drinking overall, but I hate it combined with skiing (and/or driving).
    bobbutts said:

The percentage of drunk or at least buzzed skiers seems to go up astronomically towards the later part of midnight madness.  Not a fan.  Nothing against drinking overall, but I hate it combined with skiing (and/or driving).

While I've never been out after 10PM in my 10+ years at CM, I've been told that traffic on the hill after midnight is very light. Based on beer cans and nips bottles on the hill after a successful MM session, I would infer that drunk or buzzed skiing could be a problem.  Any stories from any of you who have been out late? I suspect nelsbeer or tedede who have patrolled MM might have a story or two
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    Vernon Valley/Great Gorge (now Mtn Creek) in NJ used to have all night ski parties in the 70's/80's.....ugly drunkenness.....I've had knives pulled on me.....I believe there were some deaths......
    flbski said:

Vernon Valley/Great Gorge (now Mtn Creek) in NJ used to have all night ski parties in the 70's/80's.....ugly drunkenness.....I've had knives pulled on me.....I believe there were some deaths......

I think the difference at CM is that MM is a regularly schedule event for 9 or 10 weekends every season.  Before owning CM, Peak Resorts has had the MM product at several of their mid-western venues.

Many areas have had one-shot all-nighters over the years.
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    When does CM typically open their night ski ops for the season? Right away upon season opening or wait until later in December?
    A majority of the skiers seem to do just fine on MM nights. Crowd size is very dependent on weather. Freezing rain - you can hear both customers skis anywhere on the mountain. Full moon, mid-30's temp, bonfire & good snow the crowd will rival a good daytime weekend crowd in size and the spirt is a really good mix of TGIF & fun on snow.

'College Nights' & park events draw larger crowds as well. There is seldom if ever a lift line, the HSQ Rocket keeps up with the real skier/boarder traffic while the Carpet & West Double keep the newbie's happy.

The Junior & Senior high school kids hang out in the parks - their biggest problem may be a little frost nip on the cheeks - liftees & patrol watch for that & send them inside for hot chocolate. Except for chaperones and the "I got to do it once" people you don't see many older folks.

College students & 20 somethings can hit the bar &/or sneak their own in the parking lots or on the lift. One or two drinks don't impair their skiing too much but do lead to things like taking non-skiing friends to the top. Courtesy sled rides, ad hoc skiing survival lessons and choice words from young ladies to the *&$#^$#$ idiot that talked them into the top result. Joshua Segal has helped with more than a few of these over the years and can attest  that they are tragic & hilarious at the same time.

People do come up with unique problems to keep the patrol awake; "My friend threw my phone on the roof, that's why I'm up here.", "My kids followed some other kids into the woods & are now at an abandoned Base Lodge somewhere (cell phones can be useful). Can you find them?" and the ever favorite family of 4 non-English speaking individuals clinging to moguls on a scrapped clean Black Diamond trail at 2:55 am.  Also popular at night is glade skiing (I thought there was enough light filtering through the trees) and my friend dared me to do it,  I think my friends left me here and the ever popular  "She broke up with me (for taking her to the top?), just let me sit here & freeze". 

Actually very little violence or threats of it. There is frequently a local policeman on the premises & we are small enough to find him quickly.

The bar closes at 1am, there is sometimes a burst of last runs but by 1:30 things pretty much settle down to Jr. Sr. High kids proving they can do 3 am and a few patrollers praying nothing happens.  
  • tededetedede advanced
    xwhaler said:

When does CM typically open their night ski ops for the season? Right away upon season opening or wait until later in December?

Usually within a week or two of opening, which is typically the first weekend of Dec.  Joshua probably has all of the dates written down in his log somewhere ;)

• tededetedede advanced

While I've never been out after 10PM in my 10+ years at CM, I've been told that traffic on the hill after midnight is very light. Based on beer cans and nips bottles on the hill after a successful MM session, I would infer that drunk or buzzed skiing could be a problem.  Any stories from any of you who have been out late? I suspect nelsbeer or tedede who have patrolled MM might have a story or two

Yeah, there's been a few, mostly funny though.  Find me on the lift one weekend day and I'd be happy to share.
    Once Crotched opens for the season the 9 pm closing usually starts the first Saturday. There may be weekdays with late openings & earlier closings following that, but Friday and Saturdays will be 9 til 9.

Midnight Madness starts about New Years when the staff is broken in and there is better cover.

Sundays are a 5 pm closing always - the patrol (and all the other staff) need a break by then. Sunday once we have skied the last run - 5:30 or so - is a good time to 'meet your patroller" upstairs in the lodge.

We will be getting a winch groomer this year. This should allow grooming to keep the steeper stuff covered earlier in the season and may help with the traditional bottleneck on Moonwalk.. 
    xwhaler said:

One year, they opened only 3PM to 9PM for the first few weekday evenings; some years they've been daytime only (9 to 5) and sometimes they've run regular hours.  Early season hours is a season-to-season management decision.

MM runs typically 9 weekends starting the last weekend of December (or first weekend of January) ending the last weekend in February (or first weekend in March).

Thanks nelsbeer for the great collection of MM stories.
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Thanks everyone. Looking forward to a good season. Will be there many Wed nights and most Saturdays thru the season
    When I was still working in an office I would:
    Friday night hit Crotched from dusk until I was comfortably tired, have a snack and head home.
    Saturday morning I would be out for first tracks & ski until 1 or 2 pm, grab some food and a few hours sleep and then beat it back to Crotched for an evening of skiing.
    Sunday I would do a full day of skiing at Crotched or head someplace bigger.
    Monday I felt like I had taken a full week off to go skiing.