Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

13»

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    Remski said:

You don’t understand, you had to be there in the

Probably not. I thought you were working this angle; "The comments have achieved sufficient visibility to make their mitigation a priority."
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Remski said:

It would be advantageous for the ski area if they could cut the brush and new growth out of all the GLADES on and off the ski area map within their boundaries.

ALL the glades!?...  even FINDING all the GLADES on and off the ski area map would be a major effort... 25+ last time I tried.  Even worse if you include all the trails that appeared after the March storm last year; people were popping out of the woods everywhere. 

Might be easier and cheaper to get a large herd of goats and let Joshua S. be their shepherd for the summer.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    NELSBEER said:

Remski said:

It would be advantageous for the ski area if they could cut the brush and new growth out of all the GLADES on and off the ski area map within their boundaries.

ALL the glades!?...  even FINDING all the GLADES on and off the ski area map would be a major effort... 25+ last time I tried.  Even worse if you include all the trails that appeared after the March storm last year; people were popping out of the woods everywhere. 

Might be easier and cheaper to get a large herd of goats and let Joshua S. be their shepherd for the summer.

Unfortunately, the goats don't:
    1. Remove rocks
    2. Remove stumps
    3. Remove large trees that have fallen!

However, they would be great for the small saplings and the grass!
    That's where REMSKI's "they oughta" comes into play :-}

Oct. 28, 2017 - Sat.

Good event (Crotched Mtn. open house) today.  Mowing trails is well underway.  The color/leaf-peeping remains quite nice.
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Any rumors/whispers on when CM plans to light up the guns?
  • tededetedede advanced
    edited November 14 Posts: 137
    12/9 is the only thing I could find online: https://www.onthesnow.com/northeast/projected-openings.html

As most passes are good at Wildcat and Mt Snow (which are open now), I suspect we won't rush to get open by the first weekend in Dec.

That being said, had this past stretch of cold weather happened a couple of weeks later, I suspect we'd be skiing Thanksgiving weekend.

As of this past Saturday mowing was still "underway".

Dropped by Crotched today (Wednesday), quite a beehive of activity as they prepare for the new season. There was a dusting of snow on the hill, it stuck so the ground has cooled somewhat.

The lower floor inside has been re-arranged extensively. The season pass office is in the main lobby, ski school room is near the West Lift/Carpet door & offices re-arranged.

They started rolling the portable fan guns up the hill, maintenance is being done on them before they roll out. Pipe flushing has been done and the pump house updated... the next thing is making snow, not far off now, they are mostly watching the weather report for the best time. Thanksgiving? probably not they haven't asked the patrol to be ready, anytime after that we'll see.  Most of the lawn mowing is done a few slopes still need attention, hopefully done for the weekend. 

In the meantime a lot of staff are heading for Mount Snow to get their ski legs back. Yes, it is open weekdays.

• tededetedede advanced
    edited November 18 Posts: 137
    They fired up a few guns yesterday afternoon.  Not sure how much they made.  Shooting for a Dec 2 opening.  Pray for cold, or snow, or both.
    A hike up the hill with the dogs disclosed that they ran guns across the entire normal early season route. Summit >Moonwalk> Galaxy> Lower Meteor plus Summit> Satellite Summit> Galaxy. This was a system test for pole guns and re-built carriage guns. It looks like all but about 2 pole guns did well, they have Polecat maintenance kits available so everything should be good soon. 

There were 12" to 18" whales up the entire hill which, if they hold up, will give a little start when the major effort starts. Also pulled pond down 8"+ making more room for storage.

My 2 golden retrievers decided this was more than enough for first tracks & had a great time rolling, sliding and eating the fresh cover.
    Looks like more snowmaking will happen starting on Wed...hopefully setting CM up for a nice long stretch to ensure a solid opening on 12/2.

Question: Does CM project to have any terrain off either the West Lift or the carpet open for opening day? Or just the Rocket?
    xwhaler said:

Looks like more snowmaking will happen starting on Wed...hopefully setting CM up for a nice long stretch to ensure a solid opening on 12/2.

Question: Does CM project to have any terrain off either the West Lift or the carpet open for opening day? Or just the Rocket?
    Usually, it's just Rocket first day.

xwhaler said:

Thanks....we'll be there on opening day but it will be easier once we have the carpet so my youngest son can get some time on snow in
    xwhaler said:

xwhaler said:

Thanks....we'll be there on opening day but it will be easier once we have the carpet so my youngest son can get some time on snow in
    xwhaler said:

Hopefully by the following wknd they have that area up and running