Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

124»

Comments

• xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Quietman said:

The whales are pretty impressive!  I'm thinking that with another night of blowing they will be able to open. There are some thin spots in between the whales, but I was able to go from the top to within 30 ft of the bottom. Sunset was nice also.

Nicely done Mark! I'll be over there with my family on Sunday assuming they are open.
  • thebigothebigo novice
    edited December 6 Posts: 6
    Any of you insiders have an update on opening day? 
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    The weather hasn't been kind for either snowmaking or for retention of the snow that was already made.  I heard that opening day will not be this Saturday or Sunday and probably some TBD mid-week date next week.  Again, that's based on local chatter.  I know nothing that is authoritative.
  • tededetedede advanced
    I was up on the hill today making some repairs to the patrol sled shack.  I would not recommend attempting to earn turns at this point, the whales are completely bulletproof on the surface.

I have not heard anything to contradict Joshua on the opening date.
  • QuietmanQuietman novice
    The whales were slightly bulletproof when I was there on Monday with my rock skis that haven't been sharpened in years. And the flat light 1/2 hour after sunset didn't help. I will 2nd that earned turns are for experts only until more snow is made.  
    Any reports from the hill on snowmaking this AM? If yes, would love to know which trails....CM communication has been spotty at best, nonexistant at worst as we try and get into the season.

• ski_itski_it expert
    I can't wait for the "fancy new cameras"
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    No snowmaking this morning. Walked to summit with my dogs today, would not have made it without good micro-spikes. Probably not a great place to earn turns unless you really like side slipping down very frozen surfaces. There is still a lot of snow 'whalehoused' on the hill awaiting a final push to open. Probably not Friday or Saturday, mid next week might be a reasonable expectation given snow on the hill and temp forecasts.

The main snowmaking pond is now overflowing the dam and the backup pond is about 3 feet below high water line, so expect a major effort when temps do get to an appropriate level and a bit more terrain than usual.

Dopplemeyer was at the mountain today reportedly tuning the rope to rail transition at the summit of the Rocket. With all the effort on that lift this year it looks like we should be getting fast smooth rides all the time.

Hopefully the website will be catching up soon... in the meantime I did see s few snowflakes today on the CM summit where the temperature was 31 degrees at 1 pm..
    Looks like CM preparing to not open this week....I always am skeptical once a mtn starts hedging and talking about another delay.
    Unsure which forecast they are seeing but they look to be in a pretty nice 6-8" and on edge of 8-12" zone from the below NWS map from this AM

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 11 Posts: 1,795

Attitash isn't open either. They hope for Dec. 15th. I'd rather wait for some good conditions than ski on hardpack.

"We’re working on giving you the best conditions possible opening weekend, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit at home.  Wildcat and Mount Snow are open, and are offering some of the best terrain in the East.  Our season passes are reciprocal, so there’s no excuse for not getting out there.  If you don't have a pass, you can get yours at peakpass.com. If you’re between the ages of 18-29, and you like saving money, the Drifter pass is only available until December 15th, so grab yours ASAP."

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited December 11 Posts: 272
    AT LAST A DATE!

OPENING DAY FRIDAY!

We've got our opening date set for Friday, Dec 15 with lifts spinning 9:00 am-9:00 pm. Terrain will likely be advanced only from the Summit, but we're going to make snow and ride out tomorrow's weather before we make the final calls on trails and lIFTS AVAILABLE. 

• QuietmanQuietman novice
    xwhaler, the NWS was late on agreeing that the storm would track farther north.  We will change to rain around noon.

Yea I saw that. Hopefully a quick few inches before the changeover results in a net gain or at least status neutral.