Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    xwhaler said:

Did CM blow last night? Plenty cold enough and pond is full. Need to get more terrain open ASAP. Meteor and Galaxy were beat up quickly yesterday AM. Why not get milky way open to link to supernova and Comet?

Mtn seems well staffed this yr but needs to tell corporate they have to blow snow to make $

My understanding is there was a mechanical issue with the snowmaking system.  It was up and running by late last night.  However, the morning report indicates that they are not going to open the West Double today.
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Thanks Josh. Hopefully it's fixed and they really use it now. After milky way opens where do we expect them next? UFO, Jupiter's, Pluto's?
    Thanks Joshua. Hopefully it's fixed and they really use it now. After milky way opens where do we expect them next? UFO, Jupiter's, Pluto's?
    Pluto's is usually next, but they already started UFO/Equinox, so they may finish that first.
    Thank you Joshua. Hopefully get to the mtn for some night turns this week otherwise will be back on Saturday morning with my son for Mtn Development program.
    xwhaler said:

Thank you Joshua. Hopefully get to the mtn for some night turns this week otherwise will be back on Saturday morning with my son for Mtn Development program.

Hope to see you, xwhaler.  Had a couple of nice runs today with thebigo.
  • thebigothebigo novice
    Good to

xwhaler said:

Good to ski with you again joshua, will be back Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with my daughter and possibly my dad. See you out there, hopefully there is another route or two down the hill open.
    thebigo said:

Good to

xwhaler said:

Good to ski with you again joshua, will be back Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with my daughter and possibly my dad. See you out there, hopefully there is another route or two down the hill open.
    With lots of snowmaking last night, todays' report has already added Super Nova from the top which branches into Comet and Reentry at the bottom. East and west are connected by Milky Way.
    Any word on whether CM is going to seed bumps on UFO again this yr? Hopefully they do it ASAP and maintain them through the whole yr.
    It was nice having them last yr albeit for a short time period.
    xwhaler said:

Any word on whether CM is going to seed bumps on UFO again this yr? Hopefully they do it ASAP and maintain them through the whole yr.

It was nice having them last yr albeit for a short time period.
    I've heard nothing, but in previous years it has been an ad hoc decision based on how kind the winter has been.
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    yah - that webcam is GREAT!!!!!
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    thebigo said:

Good to

xwhaler said:

Any chance of bigo or xwhaler or someone(becca) posting pics for us wishwecouldbetheres to see what all this "Star Trek " Crotched terrain is all about?

I think ski_it did last yr but don't remember Superstar poster Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,887
    becca_m said:

yah - that webcam is GREAT!!!!!

Cisco you can see 15% of the terrain right from the cam. They'll need to open more terrain to make pic taking worthwhile.  If you watch in the morning you are sure to see JS and others. You can readily see how fast a particular skier yo-yos that lift too.

Hey shouldn't all those kids/racers still be in school!!! >:) :(( ;)) 

Cisco see pages 2-4 & 7. Becca, yardsale & others have provided plenty of pics.

http://snowjournal.nplas.com/discussion/877/crotched-mountain-2016-2017/p7

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Ski it I need to get at least just your first name, I know Sam the New England skier I just call him Sam but you are worthy to be called by your first name

Yes thank you for the pictures I knew I could count on you I don't think I need to say I don't think I need to send Sam up to the hill to take pictures you're the man for the job
    Dec. 19, 2017 - Tues.Number of open runs continues to expand.  Conditions continue to improve.
  • thebigothebigo novice
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13
    Today's soft surface was better than sunday afternoon's hardback and scraped boiler plate. The additional routes down also added some variety. Some good weather coming through middle of the week, hopefully they resurface and get ufo and/or dipper open. Weekend not looking great weather wise at this point. Ciscokid, I took a bunch of pics but having trouble uploading from my phone, getting a file too big error. Will post if I get my laptop out later. Going to hit nh resident day at cannon tomorrow before returning to crotched on thursday.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Here's a couple from opening day. I also can't post much from my phone. (the only way I post) or I'd put up a few more. These are of Solstice which I believe is an area worked on extensively by Joshua. .imageimageimage
    20171215_124810.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 422K
    20171215_130554.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 437K
    thebigo said:

Today's soft surface was better than sunday afternoon's hardback and scraped boiler plate. The additional routes down also added some variety. Some good weather coming through middle of the week, hopefully they resurface and get ufo and/or dipper open. Weekend not looking great weather wise at this point. Ciscokid, I took a bunch of pics but having trouble uploading from my phone, getting a file too big error. Will post if I get my laptop out later. Going to hit nh resident day at cannon tomorrow before returning to crotched on thursday.

As far as the too big thing, I think ski it told me how. I phone7, email pic to yourself the small choice, hold on pic and save image to your pic galary. Then attach pic
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    They eventually blew enough to pretty much empty the pond by Monday morning. Milky Way - Super Nova - Comet to West Side are all done and open. They were skiing nicely yesterday (Monday) with fresh snow falling, thin spots today with warmer temps. Snow was blown on a number of other areas as well but left mounded against warmer temps. We'll see how much is there when it cools off and they get ready for the weekend.
  • QuietmanQuietman intermediate
    The western side of the mountain is open with the West lift and Supernova. More is said to open soon. 

Joshua, Abe passed?  Sad news indeed. He was the best in so many ways, and the kids loved him. Comparison to him is high praise indeed! Talking with the kids on Sat was lots of fun!! 
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,951
    Quietman said:

The western side of the mountain is open with the West lift and Supernova. More is said to open soon. 

Joshua, Abe passed?  Sad news indeed. He was the best in so many ways, and the kids loved him. Comparison to him is high praise indeed! Talking with the kids on Sat was lots of fun!! 
    Abe passed several years ago.  He was well into his mid-80s.  His grandson, Phil (Correction: Aaron), has been a lift attendant at CM for years, although not continuously.  The funny thing about Abe: Although he was extremely personable and very helpful to new skiers, he didn't ski.  I can't tell you how many times I offered to teach him pro bono.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,887
    ciscokid said:

Ski it I need to get at least just your first name, I know Sam the New England skier I just call him Sam but you are worthy to be called by your first name

Yes thank you for the pictures I knew I could count on you I don't think I need to say I don't think I need to send Sam up to the hill to take pictures you're the man for the job

First name: Ski
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited December 2017 Posts: 377
    ciscokid said:

I got out yesterday at Crotched for a few hours myself.  Conditions were indeed good.  Nice of them to not groom anything post storm.  Powder everywhere on a solid base  to start.  My only complaint is lift stoppages.  A lot of them.  On all three lifts. Tried to upload a couple pics but no go.  Everything gets the too large error, or wrong format if I shrink it. I give up.
    Dec. 27, 2017 - Weds.
    Great skiing, but reminded of the song, "Baby, it's cold outside!" - and the forecast shows nothing through Friday, Jan. 5 that reaches 20 degrees, much less thawing temps.

If the water supply holds out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pluto's Plunge (maybe more) open by the weekend.
    Looks like Pluto's opens today which is good news to take some traffic off Meteor. Curious on UFO...I know some snow was made a while back but surprised that hasn't opened yet nor any mention of blowing on it in the last 10+ days.
    Dec. 29, 2017 - Fri.
    It really had a big mountain feel to start down Blastoff. pick up Lower Blastoff (aka, Pluto's Chute,  aka, Upper Pluto's) and continue down to the base of the Rocket on on Pluto's.

Cold but bearable today.  Clearly, the cold weather impacted the crowd today.

Said hello to becca_m in the parking lot this AM,  but our path s never crossed on the trails.
  • thebigothebigo novice
    Short day today, not enough layers on the daughter, learned a lesson. Home for the youngest daughters bday tomorrow then back out Sunday.

Joshua, saw you out there today from rhe rocket, you appeared to be loving your turns as always. Any idea what is going on with ufo? Appears to be enough snow?
  • thebigothebigo novice
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13
    Double post

• becca_mbecca_m advanced

Dec. 29, 2017 - Fri.

It really had a big mountain feel to start down Blastoff. pick up Lower Blastoff (aka, Pluto's Chute,  aka, Upper Pluto's) and continue down to the base of the Rocket on on Pluto's.

Cold but bearable today.  Clearly, the cold weather impacted the crowd today.

Said hello to becca_m in the parking lot this AM,  but our path s never crossed on the trails.
    IT was a fine time on Friday - 1 degree F - should have felt warmer than it did because there was no wind!!!   Fun to say hi to you Joshua - I saw you from the lift later!!!  I was proud of myself for lasting a bit longer than an hour - felt coldest on the lift - that last bit before the top terminal!!   The snowboarding was fun, however!!!!
    thebigo said:

Short day today, not enough layers on the daughter, learned a lesson. Home for the youngest daughters bday tomorrow then back out Sunday.

Joshua, saw you out there today from rhe rocket, you appeared to be loving your turns as always. Any idea what is going on with ufo? Appears to be enough snow?

They're blowing snow on it today, so I suspect it will be open soon.

FYI: Some seeded moguls appeared today on Magnitude.

Never skied the glades at CM in December as as nicely as they skiied today.