Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

1468910

Comments

  • The real solstice glades were nice tonight, but a little difficult to navigate at 5pm without a headlight. :)  Take what you can!

    At least the temps moderated somewhat today,  I have to work tomorrow in wind chills of -10 or so and Monday doesn't look much better. Crazy sh*t for this early in the year!  The snow is great, but its too cold for the masses. Glad that I don't run a ski area, I'd have an ulcer.      
  • Skied for a couple of hours tonight and had a nice time.  Snow being made on Plutos and Jupiters. Short seeded bump line on Magnitude was fun, needs to be extended! Way too dark for the real solstice glades as I arrived at 7pm, 
  • I was there last night as well for some post work turns (545 until 7) so missed you Mark.
    I thought it was really icy on Sat Summit and Moon Walk (no real surprise)
    UFO was alright and it was fun skiing under the guns on Plutos
    I had heard rumors of bumps on Magnitude but I missed them apparently...skiers left/right? high/low?

    The # of bulbs that are out has seemingly gotten worse this yr....Plutos is incredibly dark...if the lights from the fan guns were not on it would have been more interesting

    Looking forward to skiing everything this coming wknd. Jupiters will be a nice addition.
  • As of 1/3/2017 - the glades report:
    Please remember that all of the glades described below require Black Diamond skills - and some, double black.  If you take them, take it very slowly first time to make sure you know exactly what you are getting into.  I suggest you don't take your best skis except for Solstice Glade.

    Solstice Glade Trail: Icy but quite pleasant
    Solstice Glade Glade: Despite an occasional brown spot, no rocks and no stumps
    Enchanted Forest to NCC: Quite nice
    Snake Path: Didn't take it.  Heard it was OK
    Unnamed Glade to the East of Big Dipper: Top - nice; Bottom - looked ratty
    Dark Star: Skiable but large trees and limbs are blocking many of the ways down - not recommended
    T-Bar Line: Good cover and skiable with detours required for downed limbs and a large tree at the bottom - not recommended
    Kuiper Belt: Best I've ever seen it.  Traffic needed to break up crust in places
    West Ledges: Didn't try
    Popcorn: Ratty at the top.  Opens into a really nice trip right to the bottom
    Hellions: OK, but Popcorn is a preferred route
    Peace Pipe: Hasn't been maintained and I opted not to try it
    Uranus: Very nice, but some downed trees and limbs.  Traffic needed to break up crust in places
    Final Frontier: Roped
    Cutoffs and chutes off Super Nova: Most are OK.
    Unnamed glades just west of Final Frontier: Traffic needed to break up crust in places but otherwise OK

    In short: In my 10+ seasons at CM, I've never seen the glades so good so early in the season.
  • Jan. 4, 2018 - Thurs.
    Based on what I shoveled, I estimate between 10" and 14" out of the storm.  Hard to tell due to all of the wind and drifting. Skiing was variable today especially where the wind was howling.  Places out of the wind were superb.  Visibility was near white-out for much of the day.

    Friday, with a little grooming, should be nice PP and the glades should be superb powder.
  • I was there from 3:30-6.  The Rocket was closed after 1 run, no complaints from me as the safety bar blew down on my head as I was unloading at the top. It was crazy windy on the top 3rd of the hill.  I then discovered that a certain trail near the West lift was untracked and covered with tons of powder and 3+ foot drifts.  I lapped that for 2 hours and headed home to clear the driveways.  Not very often that I get untouched powder, it was sweet!!
  • Quietman said:

    I was there from 3:30-6.  The Rocket was closed after 1 run, no complaints from me as the safety bar blew down on my head as I was unloading at the top. It was crazy windy on the top 3rd of the hill.  I then discovered that a certain trail near the West lift was untracked and covered with tons of powder and 3+ foot drifts.  I lapped that for 2 hours and headed home to clear the driveways.  Not very often that I get untouched powder, it was sweet!!

    I was wondering why it was totally skied in this AM!

    All the glades were good today (1/5/18), but Popcorn was exceptional.
  • And once again we have no pictures of this sweetness⛷⛷⛷
  • I think all SJ members should gather under the webcam at 11:01 am everyday and give our secret wave.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • And once again we have no pictures of this sweetness⛷⛷⛷
     I only had my cell phone, the visibility was horrible, and if I had dropped my phone from the lift, I never would have found it!   
  • Quietman said:

    And once again we have no pictures of this sweetness⛷⛷⛷
     I only had my cell phone, the visibility was horrible, and if I had dropped my phone from the lift, I never would have found it!   


    Mark: As someone who has posted about 3 photos in all of the years this site has been running, never apologize for not including photos in your report!!!

    And if anyone is thinking about a day in the mountains, without wind and temps going into the teens,  it should be a spectacular day at Crotched Mountain (Sun., 1/7/2018).
  • Ya know I'm just givin y'all my usual
  • And I do like to include pics, just sometimes not practical.  Today had to have been the busiest day of the season so far at the Crotch, with a cold morning but the sun warmed things up pretty well.  
  • edited January 10
    Weds. Jan. 10, 2018:
    Most of the CM regulars know that between grooming and snowmaking, CM's trails recover very quickly from warm weather events.  However, with warming weather and r _ _ _ in the forecast, today (possibly tomorrow) will likely be the last day(s) for a while in which all the natural snow, ungroomed gladed areas will be in great conditions.  If you can get away, come on up.


  • This seems like as good a place as any to put out a call for help. I'm looking for some contributions to my guide on Crotched Mountain. I'm building all the ski area guides as a wiki-style resource open for contributions from all registered members. I'd appreciate any contributions that you can offer.

    If you can pull up my Jan. 8 session on Trace Snow, you will find a pretty complete map of CM with its glades.  Pretty much everything on the west side I hit that day.  Some of the more easterly (out-of-bounds) stuff I did not ski.
  • Hey Weatherman, that's a great-looking guide. Detailed trail descriptions and accurate as far as I can tell, and up-to-date trail maps. Did you do all that work yourself?
  • From Today's snow report:

    OPERATIONS SUSPENDED-FRIDAY, JAN 12 2018

    We’re suspending ski area operations for Friday, January 12 in anticipation of a rain event. Our goal is to preserve our stellar snowpack. As soon as possible, the snowmaking team will be making snow again to re-surface trails, etc. The weather looks great for Saturday-Monday, so come visit us for the Holiday weekend. Lifts will spin again Saturday morning and the Block Party event and Midnight Madness are still planned, as scheduled; weather and conditions permitting.    
  • tedede said:

    From Today's snow report:

    OPERATIONS SUSPENDED-FRIDAY, JAN 12 2018

    We’re suspending ski area operations for Friday, January 12 in anticipation of a rain event. Our goal is to preserve our stellar snowpack. As soon as possible, the snowmaking team will be making snow again to re-surface trails, etc. The weather looks great for Saturday-Monday, so come visit us for the Holiday weekend. Lifts will spin again Saturday morning and the Block Party event and Midnight Madness are still planned, as scheduled; weather and conditions permitting.    
    Smart move.  It's going to be ugly with 100% chance of rain for a significant portion of the day.  With colder weather returning, I'll bet CM's snowmaking and grooming will have the trails in fine shape by Monday or Tuesday, but the glades will have to wait for more of mother nature's finest.
  • edited January 12

    Does anyone know what is going on with the snowmaking
    at Crotched this year?    I ask because comparable
    mountains like Pat’s Peak and Mount Wachusett opened a couple weeks earlier
    than Crotched and they are open today and Crotched is closed.   If you look at the Crotched web cam the
    trails look terrible.   Far worse than I
    would ever have expected after the amount of natural snow and cold weather suitable
    for snowmaking that we have had this year.  
    I can’t help but feel that they are not making as much snow this year as
    other resorts.

  • edited January 13
    Just since last night and today’s cam wow so much snow has melted. This is going to SUCK BIG TIME. As far as base building there won’t be enough left to build on. It’s going to be back to square one. I’ll call it a turbo thaw.
  • edited January 12
    tlougee said:

    Does anyone know what is going on with the snowmaking
    at Crotched this year?    I ask because comparable
    mountains like Pat’s Peak and Mount Wachusett opened a couple weeks earlier
    than Crotched and they are open today and Crotched is closed.   If you look at the Crotched web cam the
    trails look terrible.   Far worse than I
    would ever have expected after the amount of natural snow and cold weather suitable
    for snowmaking that we have had this year.  
    I can’t help but feel that they are not making as much snow this year as
    other resorts.

    The only brown spots I can see are in one of the few locations they didn't make snow on the mountain skiers left of rocket on the bottom of Pluto's which was nicely covered by natural snow about 24 hours ago.  While Pat's does have a good crowd on the webcam, it's still pouring, which means they probably told the school groups, it's open, dress for it and enjoy.  Crotched will just extend the season another Friday and offer customers a night with better weather.


  • 4:30 PM webcam
    CM_12Jan18_1630.jpg
    849 x 445 - 272K
  • Management definitely made the right call closing today (Fri., Jan. 12, 2018).  I skinned up early this AM before the rain started in earnest.  And the trip down was less than pleasant.  By the 1 PM, it was coming down in buckets. 

    There would have been a handful of paying guests at most. The mountain saved the snow; the cost of grooming last night and the cost of opening/operating today.  Ski areas are not charities.  It made no sense to open today - and if someone was crazy enough to want to ski in today's downpour, Mt. Snow (same ticket) was open.

    My guess is that with the forecast ahead, by Monday - latest Tuesday, the effects of this storm (except for the glades) will be just a bad memory.
  • I think there are indications that Crotched failed to build the base that other local areas built.   Today Crotched has 6 out of 25 trails open.  Pats has 26 out of 28, Wachusett 20 out of 23, and even Butternut Basin way south of Crotched has  19 out of 22.   I think the late opening and bare spots that came through so quickly are indicators as well.  I think that Peak may be managing Crotched as part of their larger system of resorts in the Northeast giving priority to opening up Mount Snow and Wildcat while holding back and saving some money on opening and maintaining Crotched and Attitash.   
  • Crotched did gat a late start this year but has been making snow pretty regularly since they opened. 

    Today may be a separate dynamic. With Midnight Madness definitely on tonight and a Block Party they have a lot more hours requiring descent coverage, hours spanning a hard freeze. They are making snow on 1/2 of the hill now preparing some main trails for a better but later opening, then they are moving production across the hill to get more trails resurfaced. If they time things right and do a good grooming job things should look better as the day progresses. It will be a good trick if they have at least some good conditions available at all times across those hours.

    With all the water they picked up tomorrow and Monday should be fine for most skiers as long as they don't plan on hitting the woods. . 
  • North Carolina & Ober Gatlingburg weathered this blow torch much better than Crotched. Maybe Peaks should take a lesson from them and make snow when ever the temps permit whether it snows or not. Oh and hey the lighting on Plutos is totally unexceptable I would never open that trail at night as dark as it is.
  • tlougee said:

    I think there are indications that Crotched failed to build the base that other local areas built.   Today Crotched has 6 out of 25 trails open.  Pats has 26 out of 28, Wachusett 20 out of 23, and even Butternut Basin way south of Crotched has  19 out of 22.   I think the late opening and bare spots that came through so quickly are indicators as well.  I think that Peak may be managing Crotched as part of their larger system of resorts in the Northeast giving priority to opening up Mount Snow and Wildcat while holding back and saving some money on opening and maintaining Crotched and Attitash.   

    It would be interesting to hear a report from someone who had been at Pat's, Wachusett or Butternut.  For the small crowd CM had, the trails that were open in the condition they were in was more than enough.  If management wanted, they could have had a lot more trails open.  At 4:30 AM today it was 59 degrees.  12 hours later it was 19 degrees.  Even trying to figure out how to groom and when  to groom in a situation like this borders on impossible.

    By 11AM temps had reached wet bulb and the guns went on. I would be very surprised if by Monday, CM's trail count and the conditions of those trails will be as good or better than the areas that Todd mentioned above.
  • Remski said:

    North Carolina & Ober Gatlingburg weathered this blow torch much better than Crotched. Maybe Peaks should take a lesson from them and make snow when ever the temps permit whether it snows or not. Oh and hey the lighting on Plutos is totally unexceptable I would never open that trail at night as dark as it is.

    Thanks.  We do our very best.
  • Remski said:

    North Carolina & Ober Gatlingburg weathered this blow torch much better than Crotched. Maybe Peaks should take a lesson from them and make snow when ever the temps permit whether it snows or not. Oh and hey the lighting on Plutos is totally unexceptable I would never open that trail at night as dark as it is.

    I'm happy to report that as of tonight all of the lights on Plutos are fully functioning and others have been fixed as well.  It makes a big difference.  The 6" of fresh powder was also nice!   
  • edited January 18
    Quietman said:

    Remski said:

    North Carolina & Ober Gatlingburg weathered this blow torch much better than Crotched. Maybe Peaks should take a lesson from them and make snow when ever the temps permit whether it snows or not. Oh and hey the lighting on Plutos is totally unexceptable I would never open that trail at night as dark as it is.

    I'm happy to report that as of tonight all of the lights on Plutos are fully functioning and others have been fixed as well.  It makes a big difference.  The 6" of fresh powder was also nice!   
    Quietman said:

    I saw someone up on the lift towers yesterday working on the lights.  About time.  Did the new snow reopen anything?  I plan to be there tomorrow. 

Sign In or Register to comment.