Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

Comments

• I did my "birthday marathon" yesterday (Sat., 2/10/2018), 72 runs in anticipation for my upcoming 72nd birthday. I misunderstood something about the app, so I actually did 75 rides on the Rocket rather than the 72 that I planned on. A bit tired today.
    72at72.jpg
    612 x 612 - 155K

• Ever

I did my "birthday marathon" yesterday (Sat., 2/10/2018), 72 runs in anticipation for my upcoming 72nd birthday. I misunderstood something about the app, so I actually did 75 rides on the Rocket rather than the 72 that I planned on. A bit tired today.

Congrats Joshua! That's amazing, 62000 vert in a day for a 72 yr old! Crap thats 15 times down Jackson Hole! Whew, you da iron man!

I'm going to have to learn these app things.

• Ever

I did my "birthday marathon" yesterday (Sat., 2/10/2018), 72 runs in anticipation for my upcoming 72nd birthday. I misunderstood something about the app, so I actually did 75 rides on the Rocket rather than the 72 that I planned on. A bit tired today.

Congrats Joshua! That's amazing, 62000 vert in a day for a 72 yr old! Crap thats 15 times down Jackson Hole! Whew, you da iron man!

I'm going to have to learn these app things.
    Bottom of the Mariana Trench: 36,070 below sea level
    Top of Mt. Everest: 29,029
    Top to bottom: 65,099
    With the 62,500 that I descended, I would have drowned about 2600' above the bottom of the Mariana Trench.  Sounds less impressive when put in those terms :-)
  • Congrats Josh and Happy Birthday!
  • Happy Birthday, Joshua, and best wishes for 80 runs on your 80th!
  • You rock dude!  I wish that we could be hitting the glades together. 

After all that you were still out there today. Saw you skiing down from your condo this morning.  Good choice to get out yesterday, today kind of sucked! I absolutely detest rainy winter days. 

• edited February 12
    Quietman said:

You rock dude!  I wish that we could be hitting the glades together. 

After all that you were still out there today. Saw you skiing down from your condo this morning.  Good choice to get out yesterday, today kind of sucked! I absolutely detest rainy winter days. 

Thanks for the props to Mark and the rest of you folks!

I'm pretty sure the glades were skiing nicely by Saturday PM based on reports from others.  Apparently, the warmer temps caused the crust to decrust (if that is a word).  That being said, glade-skiing is much slower than trail skiing and I knew I was in for a long day.  Lucky I didn't hit the glades.  In previous "birthday marathons", I've averaged 8.5 runs per hour.  On Saturday, the last 10 to 12 runs took almost 2 hours as fog moved in and visibility dropped.  The last 3 runs were in pouring rain.

Yesterday's rain was pretty light in the AM.  I quit when it started to come down heavy about 12:30.
  • I would love to say I could do 72 runs when I turn 72 years old. Great accomplishment, and something to aspire for.

Kudos!

• Good to ride with Joshua the other afternoon - Feb 15!    Rocket was down much of the day but then opened up before 5pm for some amazing spring-like conditions and fresh tracks on the top!!!!   And I quote Joshua, "THIS IS MY LAST RUN!!!"  said quite a few times  :)
  • Yup, Joshua says that a lot also when I ski with him. I hope that I am as able as he is when I hit 70. Saw him numerous times today teaching lessons. 

• edited February 24
    Feb. 20, 2018 - Tues.
    Gorgeous spring skiing.  Just enough wind to keep the snow from turning to crud.

Unfortunately, there were not too many people were here to enjoy it.  Should be a rerun tomorrow. It will definitely be a shorts and T-shirt day.
  • Congrats Joshua!  (it was you I rode up with a few weeks ago while coaching at a race)  yahoo 72!

Dave
  • Feb. 24, 2018 - Sat.
    Nice spring snow.  92% open.  Holiday weekend.  We should have been busy.  I'm not sure if there is still hope for this season :-(
  • Congrats Joshua!  (it was you I rode up with a few weeks ago while coaching at a race)  yahoo 72!

Dave

Thanks.  For those who are not sure what Dave is talking about, there was a nice posting about me on the CM FB page.
  • Yes great picture of the legendary Joshua. Happy Birthday!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokid said:
    Thanks Cisco.  We've got a really great community on SJ. Many thanks to our "unidentified" admin for keeping it going.
  • Mar. 2, 2018 - Fri.
    I'm thinking we might have dodged the bullet here.  We had 2" to 3" of snow before the snow changed over to a combination of rain, sleet, pellets and yes, snow.  The snow acted as a sponge for the wet-stuff.  I don't think we lost much (if any) cover - we might even have had a net gain.  The area suspended operations (i.e. closed) around 1:30PM for the day when nobody had boarded a lift in a while.  The skiing was OK, if you are among those who don't mind skiing in wet weather.

• Crotched was a lot of fun tonight!  Skied from 4:45 to 8:30. Hard to guess what had fallen due to the wind.  My est. would be 6" when I left.
  • Quietman said:

Crotched was a lot of fun tonight!  Skied from 4:45 to 8:30. Hard to guess what had fallen due to the wind.  My est. would be 6" when I left.

You started about the time I quit.  The surface was lovely, but the visibility was challenging.  Hoping for glades today.  Looks like we're in the 10" range as of 5AM (3/8),
  • The crotch was great today with smiling faces all around.  Able to get off work at 3:45 and found Joshua and skied real Solstice glades which were great, then ducked into Kuiper Belt and paid the price of not having Joshua remove rocks like he does in Solstice!  A big plus was that they left moguls on Magnitude, UFO and under the Rocket.  Then ones under the rocket were the best. Another 5"+ on Tues. would be really nice. 2 weeks ago I was wondering if they would make it past the 1st week or 2 in March. Now the weather finally seems to be cooperating. Too bad that it didn't happen earlier. 
  • edited March 12
    Mar. 12, 2018 - Sun.
    The great snow, combined with great weather + the final day of the "Karbon Telemark National Championships" + "teacher appreciation day" combined to create the longest lift lines of the season at CM: 3 to 5 minutes on the Rocket (a minute or less at the singles line).  Cars were parked well into the 3rd parking lot (which typically occurs only 2 or 3 days per season.)

There were moguls on the west side of UFO/Equinox; on the east side of both Pluto's and Magnitude - and on Jupiter's Storm.  I suspect that some of those may be groomed out.

Pretty much everything that quietman said about Saturday applied on Sunday - except the bottom of Solstice Glade required a "bit of walking" by the end of the day.  This week's nor'easter should open the remaining glades.
  • edited March 16
    Mar. 16, 2018 - Fri.
    I've been asked for a CM glades report:
    Given the forecast, it shouldn't change much between now and Monday. (note: this report is my observations and is not an official report of CM's management)
    From East to west:
    - Enchanted Forest: Generally good everywhere
    - Trailee: Adjacent to and east of Jupiter's Storm: Excellent
    - Dark Star: With two major trees down in the best lines, it's a bit difficult to negotiate.
    - Old T-Bar Liftline: OK until the last pitch. At that point "easy does it"
    - Solstice Glade: Excellent
    - Kuiper Belt: west side a bit bony; east side OK, but caution advised
    - West Ledges:
    * Puff-Ball (aka: The Pine Line): be careful not to miss the turn back or you've got some nasty bushwhacking (Don't ask how I know): Nice and some good powder lines remain
    * Ledges: A few rocky spots
    * Popcorn: Best on the mountain
    * Hellions Gate: A few rocky spots
    * Peace Pipe: Not maintained in years and you're skiing thru 5-year-old saplings: Never-the-less,  there are some really good powder stashes over there.
    - Uranus: East side better than west, but both are skiing nicely
    - Final Frontier: Not really a glade, but skiing nicely

Moguls report:
    Superb bumps on Jupiter, east side of Magnitude, east side of Pluto's and west side of UFO/Equinox.  Moguls are a day-to-day decision on the part of management, so this report is limited to today.
  • edited March 17

Mar. 16, 2018 - Fri.
    I've been asked for a CM glades report:
    Given the forecast, it shouldn't change much between now and Monday. (note: this report is my observations and is not an official report of CM's management)
    From East to west:
    - Enchanted Forest: Generally good everywhere
    - Trailee: Adjacent to and east of Jupiter's Storm: Excellent
    - Dark Star: With two major trees down in the best lines, it's a bit difficult to negotiate.
    - Old T-Bar Liftline: OK until the last pitch. At that point "easy does it"
    - Solstice Glade: Excellent
    - Kuiper Belt: west side a bit bony; east side OK, but caution advised
    - West Ledges:
    * Puff-Ball (aka: The Pine Line): be careful not to miss the turn back or you've got some nasty bushwhacking (Don't ask how I know): Nice and some good powder lines remain
    * Ledges: A few rocky spots
    * Popcorn: Best on the mountain
    * Hellions Gate: A few rocky spots
    * Peace Pipe: Not maintained in years and you're skiing thru 5-year-old saplings: Never-the-less,  there are some really good powder stashes over there.
    - Uranus: East side better than west, but both are skiing nicely

Moguls report:
    Superb bumps on Jupiter, east side of Magnitude, east side of Pluto's and west side of UFO/Equinox.  Moguls are a day-to-day decision on the part of management, so this report is limited to today.
    Thanks for the update Joshua. and very accurate.  I skied many glades this week that I've never been down before and they were all fantastic, although I have no idea on the names of them.   Edit: That was a strange quote!
  • edited March 22
    Thinking about the Peak Pass next year, especially as Crotched isn't blacked out even on the blackout passes.  What's the normal ops schedule for the Valley Quad?  Does the Double run every day?  My mom has been trying to be more active lately and sometimes skis with me and probably isn't up for the top of Moon Walk.
  • obienick said:

Thinking about the Peak Pass next year, especially as Crotched isn't blacked out even on the blackout passes.  What's the normal ops schedule for the Valley Quad?  Does the Double run every day?  My mom has been trying to be more active lately and sometimes skis with me and probably isn't up for the top of Moon Walk.

The Double, the Rocket and the carpet run daily from opening to close.  

The Valley runs weekends, holiday weeks and most Fridays; and whenever the Rocket is on weather-hold or mechanical-hold, nominally from 10AM to 7PM.  That's a year-to-year management decision.  (It runs on all "blackout dates" at the other Peak areas.)

• Mar. 22, 2018 - Thu.
    Updated CM glades and moguls report:
    Given the forecast, it shouldn't change much between now and Sunday. (note: this report is my observations and is not an official report of CM's management)
    From East to west:
    - Enchanted Forest: Still skiable
    - Trailee: Adjacent to and east of Jupiter's Storm: Excellent - even with a pair of non-rock skis
    - Dark Star: With two major trees down in the best lines, it's a bit difficult to negotiate, but OK.
    - Old T-Bar Liftline: OK until the last pitch. At that point "easy does it" The run is skiable even on non-rock skis if you're careful at this point) 
    - Solstice Glade: Excellent, Rock skis NOT needed (Note: Solstice Glade Trail is less good and the exit is downright ugly!)
    - Kuiper Belt: west side a bit bony; east side OK, but caution advised and rock-skis only
    - West Ledges:
    * Puff-Ball (aka: The Pine Line): didn't try it since last report
    * Ledges: A lot rocky spots: Rock skis only
    * Popcorn: If you are really careful, this can be done on non-rock skis (I wouldn't)
    * Hellions Gate: A lot rocky spots (rock skis only)
    * Peace Pipe: didn't try it since last report
    - Uranus: East side better than west, but both are getting bony (rock skis only)
    - All cuts and chutes west of Final Frontier - OK even on non-rock skis.

Moguls report:
    Huge bumps on Jupiter, nice learning intermediate bumps on the east side of Magnitude, good show-off bumps under the lift on the east side of Pluto's and nice combination of bumps on the west side of UFO/Equinox.  Moguls are a day-to-day decision on the part of management, so this report is limited to today.
  • any rumor when night skiing ends???  I am hoping it is still open a bit longer!!!!
  • Thanks for the update Joshua, I just opened the thread to ask for an update and it was already there!

Becca, this is from today's snow report:

Monday, March 26-Friday, March 30: 11:00 am-7:00 pm; Snow Reported completed by 9:30 am daily. 
    Saturday, March 31-Sunday, April 1 (Easter Sunday): We WILL operate, but hours are TBD and will be announced as soon as possible, next week. 
  • thanks!!!!!