You know, it's never too late.....

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 986
...to think about NEXT season and where you'd like to ski!!

I'd like to try some places I've never been as well as revisit places I haven't skied in years. That being said, here's my list at this juncture!

1) Caberfae Peaks in Michigan. This place has a TON of back country skiing - and a huge chunk of it is its old trail map that was served by a side-by-side Hall t-bar and Doppelmeyer t-bar!! Both are without the haul rope but still stand. :( Sorta. The terrain is treated as back country, though!
2) Mt. Snow. I skied this place once back in my grad school days at UConn and I'm itching to go back!! I was there while the Mixing Bowl chairlift was still standing: that crazy device that had a chain versus a haul rope!
3) Lutson, MN. The ONLY Midwest ski resort with a gondola! Enough said.
4) Bromont in Quebec's Eastern Township. It reminds me of the trail layout of Bromley,VT and has trails named after US cities, one of which is Syracuse!! :)
5) Holiday Mt, in NY, just outside Monticello by the Shawangunk Ridge in downstate NY. You could see the old "floating" bullwheel from the Poma chairlift from US route 17 as you drove from Binghamton to the Tappen Zee Bridge while driving to NYC or New Jersey. That particular chairlift used to serve a trail called Upper and Lower Tombstone. The trail and that chair are both lost. :( The active trails at Holiday Mt. are a smaller footprint now.
6) Mad River Glen. What need I even say. Skiing nirvana!
7) Cerro Castor, just outside Ushuaia, Argentina! The southernmost ski area in the world and it rocks over 2,500 vertical feet of skiing!!! Several lifts (it's a relatively new resort) and the high season is during our summertime! How cool is that?!?

What's YOUR skiing bucket list looking like?

IBRAKE

Comments

• Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    It isn't to early to think about the upcoming ski season. . On my hit list for the upcoming season are revisits to Owls Head, Orford and Sugarloaf. First time visits to Mad River Glen and Mont Blanc. I would also like to check out Mohawk early season.
    I'd like to check out some areas that I haven't been to including Lyndon Outing Club, Cochran's, Northeast Slopes, Campton, and Titcomb.
    - Sam
  • oldsnowboardermeoldsnowboarderme intermediate
    As I get older, the small ski area seem to appeal to me more .. except for Saddleback.
  • abubobabubob advanced
    For a couple years now I've been trying to get to some different area but since Ragged is only ten minutes away from my house it's hard to pass by. I did manage to try some some areas I hadn't been to like Dartmouth Skiway, Burke and even Pat's Peak. But every time I went to Ragged I just felt like I was home. 

So for next season I've got a season's pass again at Ragged but will still try to get to a new place or two. Perhaps someplace in Maine.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

I'd like to try some places I've never been as well as revisit places I haven't skied in years. That being said, here's my list at this juncture!

1) Caberfae Peaks in Michigan. This place has a TON of back country skiing - and a huge chunk of it is its old trail map that was served by a side-by-side Hall t-bar and Doppelmeyer t-bar!! Both are without the haul rope but still stand. :( Sorta. The terrain is treated as back country, though!
    2) Mt. Snow. I skied this place once back in my grad school days at UConn and I'm itching to go back!! I was there while the Mixing Bowl chairlift was still standing: that crazy device that had a chain versus a haul rope!
    4) Bromont in Quebec's Eastern Township. It reminds me of the trail layout of Bromley,VT and has trails named after US cities, one of which is Syracuse!! :)
    5) Holiday Mt, in NY, just outside Monticello by the Shawangunk Ridge in downstate NY. You could see the old "floating" bullwheel from the Poma chairlift from US route 17 as you drove from Binghamton to the Tappen Zee Bridge while driving to NYC or New Jersey. That particular chairlift used to serve a trail called Upper and Lower Tombstone. The trail and that chair are both lost. :( The active trails at Holiday Mt. are a smaller footprint now.
    7) Cerro Castor, just outside Ushuaia, Argentina! The southernmost ski area in the world and it rocks over 2,500 vertical feet of skiing!!! Several lifts (it's a relatively new resort) and the high season is during our summertime! How cool is that?!?

IBRAKE

Your not missing much at Caberfae in my opinion. Yea I wish I coulda done this place when they had 20 total ropes and t bars.

Look at my trip reports from Cab the last 2 yrs. have old maps, aerials, anything I could find relating to their history.

Here's the side by side T bars your mentioning

Of course upside downimageimage
    Lutsen. Looks like a neat place , when I was there 10/13 rumor had it they were going to replace the Loon gondy soon.

I have visions of a 2 week Upper Peninsula trip which looks like a center pole 60's retro area and a couple TBars at Indianhead, Ripley and Porcupine had one but may have replaced it.
    Bohemia looks pretty radical and they are adding snowcat terrain. Been to all these places in the fall but never skied them.imageimageimageimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    What the heck is going on with the picture count?image
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    ciscokid said:

I'd like to try some places I've never been as well as revisit places I haven't skied in years.
    That being said, here's my list at this juncture!

1) Caberfae Peaks in Michigan. This place has a TON of back country skiing - and a huge chunk of i

t is its old trail map that was served by a side-by-side Hall t-bar and Doppelmeyer t-bar!! Both are without the haul rope but still stand. :( Sorta. The terrain is treated as back country, though!

IBRAKE

Your not missing much at Caberfae in my opinion. Yea I wish I coulda done this place when they had 20 total ropes and t bars.

Look at my trip reports from Cab the last 2 yrs. have old maps, aerials, anything I could find relating to their history.

Here's the side by side T bars your mentioning

Of course upside downimageimage

image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    Ciscokid -

I think your vision of an Upper Peninsula trip oughta be a reality! I'm all for hitting up 1960-era center pole Riblets and throwback skiing like it used to be.

In fact, we should try to get a few of us together for an extended weekend of skiing, if not at the Upper Peninsula, somewhere in New England at some places that hold a special place in your collective hearts...complete with favourite après-ski haunts!! Being a Syracuse son I have no business suggesting anyplace in New England so I gladly defer to you all.

As Aragorn would say, "What say you?"

IBRAKE
  • medford_mikemedford_mike intermediate
    For next year I want to hit Bolton. I have never been and I tried to get there twice this year and both times they had wind holds. I have never been to Cranmore either.  I would like to hit it at lest once so both are on my list for next year. A return to the Skiway is in order too.  I skied there as a student but that was over 12 years ago now and time to visit again.
  • MissDaEastMissDaEast intermediate
    Wow, Cisco, that looks like one heck of a gondola!  I hope it has seat belts!!! \:D/
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I'd love to drift into New Hampshire next season-- Cannon comes to mind. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,148
    My short list is Big Rock, Lonesome Pines, Quoggy Jo up in potato country. Hey Cisco your pics are upside down on pc but fine on my iPhone!?! :-O
  • JimKJimK advanced
    It's gonna be hard to top this year when I retired and spent 9 weeks skiing out west.  I unretired in April and started a part time job that pays good, but is probably going to prevent me from taking such a long break next winter.  I might revert to my recent previous skiing pattern, which in a good year has been a batch of mid-Atlantic day trips, one week out west, and one week in New England. Hopefully, I could get in more day trips and maybe add a few more out-of-region days since I only work 20 hours per week now? :-/