Vermont Projects

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 476
The second half of the Ropeways article covers some construction for winter. We know that Sugarbush is replacing two chairlifts. On the other hand, below is the first I've seen of the Carinthia lodge replacement being done this summer. I just check Mt. Snow's blogs, I see no reference. 

ropeways.net | Home | 2017-05-23

What’s New at Vermont’s Resorts this Summer Season

Ski and Snowboard Construction Projects

Middlebury College Snow Bowl
The Middlebury College Snow Bowl will be building two new race start buildings on the Allen and Ross trails this summer. These will not only reduce the amount of snowmaking currently required to achieve the necessary heights but will also enhance the comfort level of racers, starters and hand timers. Replacement of snowmaking pipe will continue this summer as well.

Mount Snow Resort
It will be a summer full of construction and improvements at Mount Snow. The resort will break ground on their new $20M 36,000 sq/ft lodge at Carinthia Parks. The lodge will have seating for 600 and will house a full-service cafeteria, restaurant, two bars and coffee counter, along with retail, ski school sales and rentals. But that’s not all, Mount Snow is also putting the finishing touches on their $30M West Lake Water Project, that is set to increase snowmaking storage capacity by 600 percent, allowing them to open more trails earlier than ever before. 

Jay Peak Resort
Jay Peak Resort will spend $20 million this summer as it resumes the final phase of its revitalization initiative. The list of projects includes the completion of cottages around the resort’s Stateside area, and a 15,000-square foot recreation and entertainment center. New to the initiative’s lineup are two outdoor sports fields. The resort’s recreation and entertainment center will be located across from the Stateside Hotel. The 15,000-square foot facility will have a movie theater, a state-of-the-art arcade, and a Clip ‘n Climb ropes gym. The new cottages and recreation and entertainment center will open for the 2017-18 winter season. The new outdoor sports fields will come online in the summer of 2018.

Magic Mountain 
SKI MAGIC LLC is investing $1 million in the off-season to continue the progress made this season revitalizing Magic Mountain. Capital investment focuses on expanding and improving snowmaking coverage and lift service, as well as enhancing Magic’s classic ski lodge experience. A major snowmaking project will begin this summer at the snowmaking pond to increase water volume, and in combination with new piping and hydrants, Magic will significantly expand snowmaking coverage to over 50% of its terrain. There will also be a new base to mid-mountain lift servicing intermediate and novice terrain which will allow Magic to open earlier than ever and allow non-advanced skiers easier access to Magic’s terrain without going all the way to the top via its Red and Black Summit chairs. In addition, a new magic carpet conveyor lift will be installed at Magic’s new Nelson Family Learn-to-Ski Center. The old beginner handle tow area will be transformed into an expanded terrain park/rail jam area, all viewable from Magic’s refurbished base lodge and Black Line Tavern.

Mad River Glen
In over twenty years of co-op ownership, Mad River Glen has invested more than $5 million in capital improvements. This summer, Mad River Glen will work to maintain and preserve what can already be found at the mountain. The new General Manager, Matt Lillard explains,  “we don’t want to mess with a winning combination,” GM, Matt Lillard explains. The ability of Mad River Glen to consistently reinvest in the mountain’s infrastructure is a testament to the success of the Cooperative. Co-op share sales are always important. New shareholders will know that their support will enable the Co-op to fulfill its mission of protecting and preserving Mad River Glen’s unique ski experience for future generations.

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Hoping the Carinthia thing alleviates some of the madness elsewhere

Kind of amazing that Jay Peak is proceeding with projects despite uncertainty

That Hatheway (sp?) guy at Magic continues to impress.  I think a mid mountain lift will help.  Sometimes after a hot run on the race trail I want to get right back there but gotta ride a long lift ride and then get back down to it, kind of wears off.  Also should take some of the pressure off the other two lifts.  On holiday weekends it gets a little rough.  Glad to see the snowmaking too.  Hope this doesn't burn through the bankroll before there is some ROI.

Hey I'm a big fan of MRG, and I'm not saying they need anything, but uh...the article says "projects"...what am I missing?  
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    Yes, Jay is spending despite... The article isn't complete, there's no mention of the $5 mill. Jay is spending on updating the tram. The video on Jay's site is impressive. The article is mostly on summer stuff (I omitted that). Perhaps the author just threw in some winter improvements as a filler.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    The new mid-mountain double at Magic will be a great improvement, as Rick said. It accesses quite a bit of the mid-lower parts of the mountain, and some of the trails at Sunshine Corner are the best intermediate trails around, when there is snow. The 800' drop or so is perfect for several quick runs. Plus it will help utilize the broad slopes at the bottom for lower intermediates.

West Lake Project:

At the end of the blog on Road Closing is: “These maps will help
    illustrate the project.  

In
    a future blog I will give you the lowdown on the Carinthia Base Lodge project,
    which will also begin this summer.  It is going to be a busy one!”

So Mt. Snow say the lodge project will begin this summer.

Where is West Lake? I’ve assumed it’s where there is a bit
    of a pond downstream from Haystack and across from where Mann Rd. hits
    Colebrook Rd. The Goggle maps they use (and currently used) and Goggle Earth
    (9/14) appear to be prior to the 7/15 start of construction.

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    What will be in place at Carinthia this fall, will the lodge be completed for the upcoming season?

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    MRG is like The Dude: It "abides"... just the usual Mow It If You Can in August, maybe a coat of paint here and there, but in general keeping fingers crossed that we don't keep having less-than-snowy winters (at least Christmas Week and MLK and Prez Week...)
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    sugarloaf said:

What will be in place at Carinthia this fall, will the lodge be completed for the upcoming season?

I spoke with Kelly Pawlak, Mt Snow's GM this spring on the bluebird.  She said the old lodge will be used for one more season, while the new one is being built.  
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    edited May 23 Posts: 297
    Carinthia lodge and base development project is a 2 summer time frame - as has been said by Chuckstah, the old lodge will be open and in use this coming season still, the new facilities will be built around the existing lodge and down towards the condos below/along side of the Grommet terrain park, which I do believe all will be coming down (the condos, not Grommet!)  to make way for the new buildings + lodge.

West Lake is actually located far past the pond at the entrance to Haystack, it's entrance is roughly across the street from where Mann Road (the road that takes one up to the Haystack/Hermitage Golf Course) is and the connection project, which is on going now as witnessed in some of the pictures on the Mount Snow Blog, involves running 30" pipe from the reservoir the roughly 2+ miles along Coldbrook/Handle Rd to the base of Carinthia where one of the new pumphouses will be built to send the water up the mountain for snowmaking.  

When all the pipe work (both transfer pipe and also on hill replacement pipe) is done, this project, over the course of multiple seasons, will have replaced and/or newly installed 100,000ft of various diameter pipe, and that's before they then start in the coming years expanding the snowmaking coverage 
    :-O
  • obienickobienick expert
    What uncertainty?  Jay supposedly made a profit of $9M this winter.
    obienick said:

What uncertainty?  

Mine.  I'm uncertain as to who owns the place 
  • obienickobienick expert
    The Receiver I think technically owns it.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    "Mow it if you can..." Been there once. Learned that swinging a scythe left handed is not a good idea. Lost ten pounds in four days.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    bmwskier said:

"Mow it if you can..." Been there once. Learned that swinging a scythe left handed is not a good idea. Lost ten pounds in four days.

10 pounds and free pass?
    obienick said:

The Receiver I think technically owns it.

are you certain? :D
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Didn't make it through the two weeks. Four days and then I remembered that I had reciprocity through working at Sugarbush. Plus, I had this weird lump starting on my left arm from the scythe that was numbing my hand. Well worth the exercise and hiking though. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Mount Snow just dropped a new West Lake project video yesterday. Very cool to see the WROD being used for dragging up the new pipes. Link
    From their site:

Base Lodge at Carinthia Groundbreaking

TUESDAY, JUNE 13, 2017

What an exciting time at Mount Snow!

In a moment we’ve all been dreaming about for years, the first shovels went into the ground on Monday, and we’ve officially started construction on our new Carinthia Base Lodge at Mount Snow. While I know for some of you more sentimental types this moment may be bittersweet, you can rest assured that you have one more winter to send off our old Carinthia Lodge in style.

The new $22 million 38,000 square-foot lodge is slated to open for the 2018/19 ski season and will provide a variety of skier services in a comfortable, modern building. While we’ll miss Nate and his famous breakfast burritos, the new lodge will house a full-service restaurant, a cafeteria, two bars and coffee counter, offering plenty of options from breakfast to après!

In addition to those amenities, the lodge will also sport a new ski rental shop, tune shop, lift ticket and ski school sales, retail and convenience store, bag storage service and youth activity room, which will allow for a more full-service experience at the Carinthia Base Area. For those of you who start your day at Carinthia, these will be welcomed additions, especially for those of you with kids in tow.

While you’d think that project would be enough to take on for a summer, we’re going all in! The crew is still on schedule with our West Lake Water Project, which will be completed for the 17/18 ski season, and will double our capacity to make snow, meaning we’ll have one of the most powerful snowmaking systems east of the Mississippi! To put this in laymen’s terms, we can run more snowguns more often, and open more trails earlier in the season than ever before.

It’s truly an exciting time to be a Peak Passholder, and we can’t wait to show you all that we can do with these new facilities and snowmaking capacity.

• NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I've heard from one of the Cochrans that their T-bar is being lengthened (though I don't know by how much)
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Have been told Bringing it down to the bottom and above to where the Summit tow was. About 400 feet longer and maybe 75 more vertical. The top is about as flat as you can get and still use gravity. My guess is racers will continue to unload where they do now and beginners can keep going.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    newpylong said:

Have been told Bringing it down to the bottom and above to where the Summit tow was. About 400 feet longer and maybe 75 more vertical. The top is about as flat as you can get and still use gravity. My guess is racers will continue to unload where they do now and beginners can keep going.

whoa!  This is actually pretty exciting. Beats the skate uphill/ ride up the mighty-mite before getting to the T-bar first (that I used to have to do when I was learning there!