Alpine Mountain Sold

trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 97

The new owners plan to sell two of three ski lifts. So there will be one left but they don't plan to reopen the ski area.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/a_shuttered_poconos_ski_resort.html#incart_2box_lvl-homepage-featured

Comments

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    If only I had Half a Mil. So, they want to turn it into a "destination resort" but they are removing the lifts?

Maybe I can amass $200K and then buy it from them in a few years......
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    The list price was only $750k. but sale price of $412k is amazing.  It looks lovely but at 1000' peak, 300' vertical, and so flat it is ringed by houses, you can see why it would be noncompetitive.  The DC ski site still has the mountain info page which is more than generous.  Better spend your 200k somewhere else, like a tesla.  
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited May 26 Posts: 1,118
    pagamony said:

The list price was only $750k. but sale price of $412k is amazing.  It looks lovely but at 1000' peak, 300' vertical, and so flat it is ringed by houses, you can see why it would be noncompetitive.  The DC ski site still has the mountain info page which is more than generous.  Better spend your 200k somewhere else, like a tesla.  

Agree!  Except..... I'm betting they are going to turn it into something much different than the usual "resort" definition.

My guess is it will involve  A. Paintball   B.  ATVs   C.  Lawnmower Races   D.  Couch Catapult  E. All of the above

and in the Poconos this will be a profitable venture
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Love the center-pole quad...
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited June 4 Posts: 1,486
    Man we had a long Pocono lost thread on sj1.

I remember driving with my mom a few years back to visit Buck Hill where she spent her honeymoon in '51 and then driving past defunct Penn Hills up to Alpine over a rickety bridge to look at the area.

I remember Rick doing a nice trip report fromAlpine a few years back too.

As for my pocono skiing, I'll stick with Camelback although I remember trying to give my 34 year old today daughter a lesson at Shawnee in the late '80s and her taking a lesson at Big Boulder free from Jeep when I was selling them in Hackettstown. She actually corresponded with her female instructor back and forth and the instructor sent her coloring books. No wonder her sons are my best ski buddies!

Yea the Poconos hold a special place in my ski heart. It was where I had my first snowjournal ski day with several of you and a fine one at that!

2 Pocono / eastern Pa areas I wish I had tried were Montage( Sno mtn) and Blue

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/top-10-places-to-ski-near-philly-12510/?all=1
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

What was that cpq, a Borvig or Partek?
    IMG_1629.JPG
    768 x 509 - 95K
    That's a Borvig. The hanging sheaves give it away.
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    They sold off all of their winter equipment - so whoever would try to run this as a ski area again would have to buy everything again. Hopefully someone will come up with money to open the winter operations again.