Categories of Ski Areas

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

the hotel, condos, etc. all get plenty of bodies.   it's the storefronts / shops that are vacant

hey if you don't want to call it a resort it doesn't matter to me, I'm not a stockholder.  Your list will have other errors I'm sure. 

;)
    Are those photos of Mtn. Creek?

Errors? Just differences of opinion.
  • edited June 8 Posts: 1,927

NJ:  Mt Creek is a regional resort, lots of beds does brisk business w/NYC people as Newman has mentioned in recent thread

VT:  S6 is a much different animal than the other four in that category
    Suicide Six and King Pine, I think are in the same category.  Should I add resort with skiing as an amenity?  The Balsams would have fit into that category too.  Perhaps also the Hermitage.

Do others agree on Mt. Creek as a Regional Resort vs. Regional Ski Area?

Any more VT or NJ inputs?

I still think that we should keep the categories the way they are because both King Pine and Suicide Six are important feeder areas and would be viable without the resort.
    - Sam
    Let's add PA
    Also looking for arguments on the categorization of the areas in other 6 New England ski areas + NJ below:

Feeder Areas
    CT:
    - Mount Southington
    - Powder Ridge
    - Woodbury
    MA:
    - Blandford
    - Blue Hills
    - Bradford
    - Nashoba Valley
    - Otis Ridge
    - Ward
    ME:
    - Big Squaw
    - Hermon Mountain
    - Mount Jefferson
    - Lonesome Pine Trails
    - Lost Valley
    - Titcomb Mountain
    NH:
    - Campton
    - Granite Gorge
    - King Pine
    - McIntyre
    - Storrs Hill
    - Whaleback
    NJ:
    - Campgaw
    RI:
    - Yagoo
    VT
    - Cochran's
    - Lyndon
    - Northeast Slopes
    - Quechee
    - Suicide Six

Regional Ski Area
    CT:
    - Mohawk
    - Sundown
    MA:
    - Berkshire East
    - Bousquet
    - Butternut
    - Catamount
    - Wachusett
    ME:
    - Mount Abram
    - Big Rock
    - Black Mountain
    - Camden Snow Bowl
    NH:
    - Black Mountain
    - Crotched
    - Dartmouth
    - Pat's Peak
    - Ragged Mountain
    NJ:
    RI: None
    VT:
    - Magic Mountain
    - Middlebury Snowbowl

Regional Resorts
    CT: none
    MA:
    - Jiminy
    ME:
    - Shawnee Peak
    NH:
    - Cranmore
    - Gunstock
    - Mount Sunapee
    NJ:
    - Mountain Creek
    VT:
    - Bromley

Large Ski Areas
    CT: none
    MA: None
    ME: None
    NH:
    - Wildcat
    NJ: None
    VT:
    - Bolton Valley
    - Burke
    - Mad River Glen
    - Pico

Destination Resorts
    CT: None
    MA: None
    ME:
    - Sugarloaf
    - Sunday River
    NH:
    - Attitash
    - Bretton Woods
    - Cannon
    - Loon
    - Waterville Valley
    NJ: None
    VT:
    - Jay Peak
    - Killington
    - Okemo
    - Smugglers' Notch
    - Mount Snow
    - Stowe
    - Stratton
    - Sugarbush

• NJSkiNJSki advanced

I agree with Rick about Mountain Creek being a regional resort. By hook or by crook, they do try to make it work. The Grand Cascades Lodge is as nice as they come, and Minerals is a great slopeside lodge as well.

• NJSkiNJSki advanced

Related image

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited June 9 Posts: 269

Lets not forget the ugly stepchild: Image result for legends resort vernon nj

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited June 9 Posts: 269

Minerals

Image result for minerals hotel vernon nj

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited June 9 Posts: 1,061
    Ha!  I remember when the ugly stepchild was absolutely "teh haps" in these parts.   Names like Johnny Cash, Sammy Davis Jr, Ann-Margret, Johnny Mathis, Frankie Valli, all appeared there early 1970s when they were at the top of their game. 

I met Muhammad Ali there when he was heavyweight champ, he was so charismatic the room was electrified.   

Original plan was to connect to Great Gorge via aerial tramway.  Now I think it's a bizarre mix of employee and section-8 housing?  Crazy.

:(( :(( :( :(( :((
  • newmannewman advanced

Ha!  I remember when the ugly stepchild was absolutely "teh haps" in these parts.   Names like Johnny Cash, Sammy Davis Jr, Ann-Margret, Johnny Mathis, Frankie Valli, all appeared there early 1970s when they were at the top of their game. 

I met Muhammad Ali there when he was heavyweight champ, he was so charismatic the room was electrified.   

Original plan was to connect to Great Gorge via aerial tramway.  Now I think it's a bizarre mix of employee and section-8 housing?  Crazy.

:(( :(( :( :(( :((
    It is the best golf and mountain view any dump could ever offer. The next best would be living in a abandoned Pocono resort building, on a golf course.
    newman said:

It is the best golf and mountain view any dump could ever offer. The next best would be living in a abandoned Pocono resort building, on a golf course.

Now that's funny. Sadly true, but still funny ;))
    Anybody  want to add PA?  If not, perhaps someone would like to take a shot at NY.

A start:

Destination:
    - Gore
    - Hunter
    - Whiteface
    - Windham

Regional Ski Area
    - Bristol
    - Greek Peak
    - Titus

Regional Ski Resort
    - Holiday Valley

What else?
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    What would Peek n Peek  and Kissing Bridge fall under in NY? Swain? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    I like Whaleback in feeder category like NewEnglandSkier13 has it but it exceeds 500' in vertical (700').  Even the poster area for this category, Granite Gorge, exceeds the limit (525' vert).  I think the easiest solution is to up the cap on feeder areas to 800'

bmwskier said:

What would Peek n Peek  and Kissing Bridge fall under in NY? Swain? 

Of course.  I just did a little of NY because a few of you complained that when I put up too much on the opening, it took away the fun from the rest of the group - and apparently, we don't have the equivalent of NES13 for the mid-Atlantic states. This thread is one that I thought might keep SJ going for a while now that silly season is upon us!
    bobbutts said:

I like Whaleback in feeder category like NewEnglandSkier13 has it but it exceeds 500' in vertical (700').  Even the poster area for this category, Granite Gorge, exceeds the limit (525' vert).  I think the easiest solution is to up the cap on feeder areas to 800'

Agree.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    With the silly season upon us, I will be issuing a challenge soon--- our local library got rid of many of their old "Vermont Life" magazines and i scored all the winter ones from their early ones, including a lot of ski photos--- let's let folks memories-- can you identify an area from how it looked in the 50's & 60's? 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Anybody  want to add PA?  If not, perhaps someone would like to take a shot at NY.

A start:

Destination:
    - Gore
    - Hunter
    - Whiteface
    - Windham

Regional Ski Area
    - Bristol
    - Greek Peak
    - Titus

Regional Ski Resort
    - Holiday Valley

What else?
    I'd say that there's not enough at Gore to make it a destination resort - it's a large ski area. Belleayre is just short of large in the vertical department - also though it has many trails it only has 7 lifts - so it's a regional ski area. So is Plattekill. I haven't been to Catamount since they built a hotel - I was thinking they could be a Regional Resort but it looks like the hotel is in Massachusetts!
    edited June 12 Posts: 1,061
    mapnut said:

I'd say that there's not enough at Gore to make it a destination resort - it's a large ski area. Belleayre is just short of large in the vertical department - also though it has many trails it only has 7 lifts - so it's a regional ski area. So is Plattekill. I haven't been to Catamount since they built a hotel - I was thinking they could be a Regional Resort but it looks like the hotel is in Massachusetts!

Agree on Gore, big ski area; Belleayre and Plattekill, regionals. with extra emphatic agreement on Catamount, not a regional resort.

As for the other NY I would call Greek Peak allllmmmmosst a regional resort. they sure are trying to become one

"Destination Resort" is a tough call for those...do people travel from the UK to ski at Hunter? How about from Indiana? I know they get gobs of people from NYC. Anybody from Boston pick Hunter over say, Mount Snow? I doubt many.

Windham also, I would imagine they get a handful of people from say, Virginia, but then again so does Belleayre. Both of these (Windham and Hunter) certainly have the trappings to be destination resorts, but are they?

Whiteface itself is a destination but not a destination resort, there's no "there" there. I would put it in whatever class Wildcat is in. Similar deal, the resort town is teh haps but it's 20-30 minutes away
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Thanks for reminding me, Windham lies about its vertical and is under 1500 feet, so we can comfortably call it a regional resort.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate
    Whiteface is only about 9 miles from Lake Placid. The whole area is a destination resort. You cannot separate WF from LP. WF is different from Wildcat in that there are multiple ski area choices in the North Conway region and is 20 miles from North Conway.

Gore is a big ski area, but it has some destination resort tendencies

Some NYS feeder areas:
    Mt Peter
    Thunder Ridge
    Willard
    Royal
    McCauley
    Oak
    Maple Ski Ridge
    Brantling
    Dry Hill
    Holiday Mtn in Monticello
    Woods Valley

Regional ski area:
    Catamount
    Plattekill
    Toggenburg
    Song
    Snow Ridge
    Labrador
    West
    Bristol
    Hunt Hollow
    Greek Peak

Regional Resort:
    Hunter
    Windham
    Holiday Valley/Holimont

edited June 12 Posts: 1,061
    Oh I agree, people flock to Lake Placid and they go Ski the Ice.   But when asked, none of them tell you they are going to Whiteface Resort. That's an undeniable fact.  There are no beds at the mountain, and the cuisine sucks. Spectacularly.

If proximity and solo offering is the prime factor, then you'd best move Oak Mountain into the resort category; it's less than a mile from Speculator and the whole area is a destination resort.  You cannot separate Oak from Speculator!    
    :D

edited June 13 Posts: 1,717
    Any inputs on PA appreciated:

A start:
    Feeder Areas:
    Big Bear
    - Eagle Rock

Regional Ski Area
    - Blue Mtn, 
    - Blueknob
    - Elk
    - Hidden Valley
    - Laurel Mtn.
    - Jack Frost/Big Boulder
    - Montage
    - Roundtop
    - Shawnee Mtn, 
    - Ski Liberty

Regional Resort
    - Camelback
    - Seven Springs

I don't know PA very well! Help!
    ---
    We're getting action on NY, so here is an initial strawman:

Feeder Areas:
    - Brantling
    Camillus Ski Slopes (AKA East Hill)
    - Dry Hill
    - Four Seasons 
    - Holiday Mtn (Monticello)
    - Maple Ski Ridge
    - McCauley
    - Mt. Peter
    - Oak
    - Royal
    - Thunder Ridge
    - Willard
    - Woods Valley

Regional Ski Area
    - Bellayre
    - Bristol
    - Hunt Hollow
    - Labrador
    - Plattekill
    - Snow Ridge
    - Song
    - Titus
    - Toggenburg
    - West

Regional Ski Resort
    - Greek Peak
    - Holiday Valley
    - Windham

Large Ski Area
    - Gore

Destination:
    - Hunter
    - Whiteface
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

Pennsylvania suggestions:

Camelback moved to Regional Resort

Regional ski area: Shawnee Mtn, Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Blue Mtn, Roundtop, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mtn

Feeder: Big Bear, Eagle Rock

May have to adjust vertical requirements a bit

• z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate

Oh I agree, people flock to Lake Placid and they go Ski the Ice.   But when asked, none of them tell you they are going to Whiteface Resort. That's an undeniable fact.  There are no beds at the mountain, and the cuisine sucks. Spectacularly.

If proximity and solo offering is the prime factor, then you'd best move Oak Mountain into the resort category; it's less than a mile from Speculator and the whole area is a destination resort.  You cannot separate Oak from Speculator!    
    :D

Except for Oak's pesky 650 foot vertical drop you would have a case ;))
  • obienickobienick expert
    IMHO Greylock Glen would have expanded up eventually if it opened.
    edited June 13 Posts: 1,717
    Interesting how few of a state's tallest peaks are ski areas. The only operating ski area on a New England State's tallest peak is Mt. Mansfield in VT since Graylock never made it!
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Interesting how few of a state's tallest peaks are ski areas. The only operating ski area on a New England State's tallest peak is Mt. Mansfield in VT since Graylock never made it!

Vermont has five 4,000-ft plus mountains and 3 of them have ski areas- Killington, Sugarbush North, Mansfield. Camel's Hump and Mt. Abraham are the unskied 4000s, though Abraham is just a stone's throw from Sugarbush South, which is on Mt. Lincoln which just misses at 3,975 ft. Pico Peak also just misses at 3,967.

But elsewhere it's quite different. Maine has ski areas on only 2 of twelve 4000s - Sugarloaf and Saddleback. New Hampshire has only 3 of 48! - Cannon, Wildcat and Waterville. In New York, Gore Mt. is the second-highest ski area, and there must be 50 or more higher peaks.

Pardon the off-topic but Joshua started it.

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited June 13 Posts: 269

Would make a good trivia question for all 50 states.

The only ones I can think of are Mt. Mansfield and Mt. Hood. I guess you can make a case for Mauna Kea HI since they do have organized skiing via 4x4 shuttles and a trail map.

Mauna Kea Trail Map

I would make Greek Peak a regional resort. It's much more than a regional ski area like Lab, Togg, or Song. 

Four Seasons and the Camillus Ski Slopes (AKA East Hill) should go under the feeder heading. 

IBRAKE 
    I edited your suggestions into the last NY/PA summary.  Got more before I merge them into the "master list"?

Aside to mapnut: I found the digression/hijack into tallest peaks to be interesting - even if not on topic :-)