Categories of Ski Areas

1235»

Comments

• slathamslatham advanced
    edited June 13 Posts: 152
    Yeah but Stowe, while on VT's tallest mountain, doesn't go to VT's tallest peak! In fact by quick count based on memory the majority of VT Resort/Large ski areas have higher lift served summit elevations than Stowe.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited June 14 Posts: 935
    Many of the highest peaks aren't suitable for ski area development due to weather or terrain.  If Stowe's lift went to the top of the Chin, let alone to the top of the Nose, it'd rarely run. Same with Mt. Washington. Katahdin isn't remotely skiable. Mt. Marcy, NY is in the middle of nowhere and unless you're real fast you can't do the hike in and up and back in a day.
    obienick said:

Many of the highest peaks aren't suitable for ski area development due to weather or terrain.  If Stowe's lift went to the top of the Chin, let alone to the top of the Nose, it'd rarely run. Same with Mt. Washington. Katahdin isn't remotely skiable. Mt. Marcy, NY is in the middle of nowhere and unless you're real fast you can't do the hike in and up and back in a day.

Skiing occurs on Katahdin in the eastern basins, especially South Basin. It is more challenging than Washington and requires a long XC or snowshoe trip in, so it isn't skied as often.
    - Sam

I edited your suggestions into the last NY/PA summary.  Got more before I merge them into the "master list"?

Aside to mapnut: I found the digression/hijack into tallest peaks to be interesting - even if not on topic :-)
    Beartown up in the Adirondacks is a feeder hill. Peak N Peak is kinda a regional resort even with puny vertical drop (400 ft).

IBRAKE

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Just for poops and laughs the next time I am back in WNY I'll hit Peek n Peek. They've got a huge base infrastructure compared to a teeny hill so it will be interesting. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited July 13 Posts: 1,801
    So, collectively we've concluded that the following are the northeast's destination resorts:
    CT: None
    MA: None
    ME:
    - Sugarloaf
    - Sunday River
    NH:
    - Attitash
    - Bretton Woods
    - Loon
    - Waterville Valley
    NJ: None
    NY:
    - Hunter
    - Whiteface
    RI: None
    VT:
    - Jay Peak
    - Killington
    - Okemo
    - Smugglers' Notch
    - Mount Snow
    - Stowe
    - Stratton
    - Sugarbush

First conclusion: There aren't many.
    Second conclusion: A lot of the east's top 20 areas are not destination resorts!

Note: Cannon by consensus that follows this posting was demoted to "large mtn." status.

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited July 12 Posts: 1,118
    Great list but one obvious flaw...In what alternate reality is Cannon a destination resort?  Nobody's going to convince me by swimming in Profile Lake, nor by claiming the Flume is a waterpark.  The whole place shuts down at five o'clock!   There is no hotel, no alternative to skiing except ice climbing, just some tired old condos at Mittersill.   They do have a nice museum, though, is that where I find the apres-ski?  Did I miss the torch run and fireworks?

8-|

Seriously, it's another Wildcat.  Saddleback -- even when closed -- is more of a resort than Cannon!
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate
    edited July 12 Posts: 97

Great list but one obvious flaw...In what alternate reality is Cannon a destination resort?  Nobody's going to convince me by swimming in Profile Lake, nor by claiming the Flume is a waterpark.  The whole place shuts down at five o'clock!   There is no hotel, no alternative to skiing except ice climbing, just some tired old condos at Mittersill.   They do have a nice museum, though, is that where I find the apres-ski?  Did I miss the torch run and fireworks?

8-|

Seriously, it's another Wildcat.  Saddleback -- even when closed -- is more of a resort than Cannon!
    Gore is a lot closer to being a resort than Cannon. North Creek, at the base of Gore, has lodging, F and B, and various retail stores including a full service supermarket. There are at least 200 town homes and vacation homes within 2 miles of Gore. Lake George is 30 minutes away. If Gore is not a destination resort, it is as close as you can come without being one.
    I think we concluded Cannon shared all the amenities of Lincoln and Loon, but certainly it is a border line call.  It sems that in the context of this thread to date, MRG (with all the access to the Sugarbush/Mad River Valley) and Cannon were both borderline as destination resorts - but for whatever reason, MRG was out and Cannon was in.
  • xlr8rxlr8r intermediate
    I also think Cannon should be a large mountain and not a destination resort.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    xlr8r said:

I also think Cannon should be a large mountain and not a destination resort.

I agree. 
    OK.  BTW: That leaves a grand total of 16 destination resorts in the entire Northeast!
    Interesting how tough our (SJ) criteria are with respect to what constitutes a destination resort.

In a recent thread titled, Ski Maine Mountain Pass:

DESTINATION AREAS include all of the following:
    Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Shawnee Peak, Mt Abram, Lost Valley, Camden Snow Bowl, Black Mountain, Bigrock, Hermon Mt, Titcomb Mountain & Big Squaw..
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

Interesting how tough our (SJ) criteria are with respect to what constitutes a destination resort.

In a recent thread titled, Ski Maine Mountain Pass:

DESTINATION AREAS include all of the following:
    Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Shawnee Peak, Mt Abram, Lost Valley, Camden Snow Bowl, Black Mountain, Bigrock, Hermon Mt, Titcomb Mountain & Big Squaw..
    I noticed that and thought, oh my, Joshua better not see this loose definition! ;))

Reminds me of biologists with respect to taxonomy, you're either a lumper or a separator...Ski Maine is definitely the former!