Saddleback

13»

Comments

• davedave novice
    February 2015 was so cold that the frost got under the Cupsuptic's drive terminal footings and heaved the whole thing. They made a temporary fix to get it back online -- which involved cutting, bending, and re-welding portions of the terminal superstructure. That spring/summer they started excavating for a more permanent fix, but that never proceeded further. Three months ago the loading area was still just a big hole in the ground. I'm not aware of any problems with the towers, but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited July 10 Posts: 478
    If you're going to replace the terminals on a surface lift you're going to replace the 55 year old towers. You're also going to use new carriers.
    Oh, wow. :-O :-O :-O

Makes complete sense now. That t-bar really does need to be replaced.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Welcome to SJ Dave.

Can I assume you are associated with Saddleback?

I may have mis-spoken in not recognizing the difference between terminal and tower.  What you described above is consistent with what I know.  I just used the wrong terminology.  That lift also had a sever noise problem and I hope whoever the lift attendant was (probably Batman), that he had been provided ear protection.
    The noise caused by the moving reducing gears from the electric motor powering the Hall is deafeningly loud. Perhaps the resonance from the noise caused further vibrations throughout the superstructure that somehow couldn't be dampened, only amplifying the problem. I have yet to experience a quiet Hall t-bar. Even at the summit the rollback prevention system makes echoing clacks. 
  • davedave novice
    Welcome to SJ Dave.

Thanks, Joshua. But I'm just a customer. (Or was. And/or will be. Or whatever.) And among the last to ever ride that lift, closing weekend 2015. :-(
    dave said:

Welcome to SJ Dave.

Thanks, Joshua. But I'm just a customer. (Or was. And/or will be. Or whatever.) And among the last to ever ride that lift, closing weekend 2015. :-(
    Were you part of SMF or are you a condo owner?
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier intermediate
    dave said:

February 2015 was so cold that the frost got under the Cupsuptic's drive terminal footings and heaved the whole thing. They made a temporary fix to get it back online -- which involved cutting, bending, and re-welding portions of the terminal superstructure. That spring/summer they started excavating for a more permanent fix, but that never proceeded further. Three months ago the loading area was still just a big hole in the ground. I'm not aware of any problems with the towers, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There are pictures...

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=587
    Yep. That poor t-bar is toast.

At least a new t-bar is replacing it!
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Cupsuptic was running on closing day, April 18th 2015, I rode on the lift.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

sugarloaf said:

Cupsuptic was running on closing day, April 18th 2015, I rode on the lift.

Yes it was, but it was held together with the most temporary of fixes.  It's like operating a car the last month before it's due for inspection knowing that the car is uninspectable, but one drives it anyhow.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    A Portland radio station is saying, the feds have committed $530k to improve the Rangeley airport. I have no idea if it is a year round airport but this is nice for the area.
    TomWhite said:

A Portland radio station is saying, the feds have committed $530k to improve the Rangeley airport. I have no idea if it is a year round airport but this is nice for the area.

The airport is more of a local landing strip.  There are no commercial flights associated with the airport.  There is no air traffic controller or any of the amenities you'd associate with a commercial airport.
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    TomWhite said:

Qantas A380's will be landing there  ;))
    In a world of scams, it was nice to hear that Saddleback Mountain Foundation (the not-for-profit that tried to buy Saddleback) has refunded all funds received that were not specifically a donation.  Three anonymous donors put up $100K each knowing that if SMF didn't get the area, the donors might never see a dime.  That's the money that was used for all the legal and administrative stuff that went on for the 1.5 years that this dragged on.