What SoCal ski areas are these?

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 970
This pic was taken by Jeremy Snyder AKA The Cranky Flier. I'm an airline dork - as Cranky is - and this is an airline blog that I follow. That being said here's a pic he took while flying to Long Beach from Las Vegas while over the San Bernardino mountains. I'm thinking this is Snow Summit and Mountain High with the lake being Big Bear Lake. 

Any ideas?

IBRAKE 
20170511_130946.jpg
698 x 524 - 69K

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    edited June 5 Posts: 750
    Sort of. Bear Mt. (l) with SS in middle. To right is abandoned Snow Forest, I think. BBL is the lake, yes. Cool pic.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

Another confirmation. As LotsO said, Bear Mtn, Snow Summit, and abandoned Snow Forest.

Cool info about Big Bear Lake ski history here: http://socalmountains.com/print.php?plugin:forum.42776

The Lynn Sling Lift looked pretty unique. Never saw one like that before.

Ah, of course: Bear Mountain, formerly Goldmine. I skied there in 88 and 92. 

IBRAKE
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I remember flying over those areas some years ago in midwinter and the man-made snow was the only snow visible. Like New England in a bad year but at 8,000 feet altitude and 34 degrees latitude.
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    mapnut said:

I remember flying over those areas some years ago in midwinter and the man-made snow was the only snow visible. Like New England in a bad year but at 8,000 feet altitude and 34 degrees latitude.

The first time I tried to go there they had too much snow and all the roads were closed for a few days, dragged skis out there for nothin'.  Had better luck a few years later. Bear has some real nice off trail stuff between the peaks.  For the longest time that was the only place I ever had a season pass to but never skied (was included with Mount Snow/Killington about 20 years ago).  The current Mount Snow pass includes access to all of Peaks Midwest areas.  Not sure I'll ever knock those off.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I would have guessed Mt. High, which are two separate areas that are one owner; very close - but not actually connected.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

I would have guessed Mt. High, which are two separate areas that are one owner; very close - but not actually connected.

Three now. North/Table Mtn
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    edited June 5 Posts: 750
    That top trail at Mt. High always makes me scratch my head...must get jammed with people.

Nearby Mt. Waterman is on my "I wish I could get the chance to ski there" list... Did they open this year? (question answered- from their website it looks like they did, for a few days)