Lift Construction in New England

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 476
Lift Construction Ramping Up Across New England
Lifts are being installed in at least three states.
Tuesday, June 6, 2017, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com
With summer nearly here, lift construction projects are quickly accelerating across New England.

In Maine, a new Spruce Peak triple is being installed by Doppelmayr. The recently removed Borvig chairlift has been acquired by Lost Valley and is set to replace the defunct T-Bar at that area as soon as next year.

Rumors continue to swirl about a possible sale, reopening, and Rangeley chairlift replacement at Saddleback, but as of the end of last week, the defunct area remains under its existing ownership.

Pats Peak Double footing removal

In New Hampshire, Pats Peak continues to make progress on the Peak Triple. Previously located at Ascutney, the CTEC chairlift replaces the original Mueller Peak Double. A significant amount of concrete work took place in 2016.

Cranmore South Quad, June 5, 2017

Cranmore South Quad, June 5, 2017

At Cranmore, the base terminal of the South Quad (a 2010 Doppelmayr) is being moved a few dozen feet uphill to make way for Building One of the $50 million base area redevelopment project.

At Waterville Valley, the United States Forest Service is still reviewing a proposal to replace the Pasture J-Bar and Kinderpark Carpet with two new Magic Carpet lifts.

Fundraising work continues at Whaleback for summer and fall projects. At present, a refurbished Hall T-Bar is slated to be installed on the West Side of the area this off season.

In Vermont, Sugarbush is still awaiting final state approval for the installation of two new Doppelmayr quad chairlifts. Removal of the Sunnyside Double and Village Double chairlifts began early this spring.

Burke Trail Clearing, May 2017

Burke continues preparation for the installation of a new Leitner Poma T-Bar, replacing the historic Pomalift. Trail widening was conducted in May.

Magic Mountain is moving forward with its Green Chair project, as tower assemblies are being rebuilt and a new haul rope has been ordered. The 1982 Borvig was formerly the Betwixed Double at Stratton Mountain. Construction of the lift originally started in 2003.

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Just curious (if we have any Pat's Peak regulars on SJ): Do they have the downhill capacity to handle the 50% more people a triple will dump on the hill?

Just curious (if we have any Pat's Peak regulars on SJ): Do they have the downhill capacity to handle the 50% more people a triple will dump on the hill?

Slopes were already quite crowded and I expect this will make it even worse.
    - Sam
  • PeterPeter intermediate
    edited June 12 Posts: 54

The increase in uphill capacity is only 12.5%.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Peter said:

That's interesting.  Usually, going from a double to a triple, the capacity goes up 50%.  Do you know how the math works on this particular replacement.  Is the rope speed on the triple slower or is there greater distance between the chairs?

Peter said:

That's interesting.  Usually, going from a double to a triple, the capacity goes up 50%.  Do you know how the math works on this particular replacement.  Is the rope speed on the triple slower or is there greater distance between the chairs?
    Pats Peak is going from 1,200 on the Mueller to 1,350 on the CTEC/Skytrac. Line speed is staying at 500 so chair spacing is being increased.

Capacity sometimes goes up 50 percent but often not on an upgrade like this. All of the Vail Resorts quad to six-pack conversions have increased capacity only 25 percent. As you mention, chair spacing can be increased, line speed lowered, or both.

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    The Peak chair ran closer to 400 FPM. The triple will likely run in the 450 range. Obviously selectable.
    newpylong said:

The Peak chair ran closer to 400 FPM. The triple will likely run in the 450 range. Obviously selectable.

Yup, design speed is 500.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Not a PP regular, my times there, the blues, greens and the base have been busy, but I've found the double blacks fairly empty. The Peak double didn't run fast, so 400 fpm sounds about right. And if it wasn't peak they didn't run the Peak.  
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Sad to see the Pasture J-Bar at Waterville is on the hit list. 

I think there is only one other operating New England J-Bar, right?

• edited June 12 Posts: 2,008

Sad to see the Pasture J-Bar at Waterville is on the hit list. 

I think there is only one other operating New England J-Bar, right?

There are four more, one at Suicide Six and one at Burke that are used reguarly for skiing, one at Black, NH used for special events, and one at Pat's Peak used for tubing.
    - Sam
  • ceoceo intermediate
    Pasture J-bar was my first lift, except maybe one of the rope tows at Nashoba.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

Pats Peak begins replacement of old double chairlift

·         

By DAVID BROOKS 
    Monitor staff

Thursday, June 29, 2017

As the temperature hits 80 degrees, thoughts turn naturally to building a bigger ski chairlift.

Maybe your thoughts don’t, but they do at Pats Peak, which is in the process of replacing the half-century-old Peak Double chair with a triple chair that will take a lot more people up the mountain, and do it slightly faster.

“Our 1962 Mueller (brand) double chair would have been turning 55 years old this year. And while there was nothing wrong with the lift ... she was, nevertheless, getting difficult to find parts (for),” said Kris Blomback, general manager for the Henniker ski area.

Over the past month, crews have removed the old chairlift, including all its towers, and begun pouring concrete pads for new towers that will hold the triple, which will run from the lodge to the top of the mountain.

The triple chair was bought from Ascutney, a Vermont ski area that shut down in 2010. Blomback said it has been completely refurbished as part of the project, which he said will cost about a million dollars in total.

A major advantage from the point of view of Pats Peak, and presumably of skiers who don’t like lines, is that the current chair has a capacity of 880 skiers per hour, compared to more than 1,500 per hour for the new triple.

Pats is installing a loading carpet, a mechanized system for controlling how people get onto the chair, which Blomback said will allow them to speed up the chairlift slightly.

“The old ride took about seven minutes, this one is about six minutes,” he said.

Blomback said this past ski season was excellent, thanks to the weather, and allowed Pats to rebound from the dismal 2015-16 year.

Like many ski areas, Pats Peak has been emphasizing its off-season business like weddings and events to balance out the erratic nature of the snow sports industry.

The ski area is also undergoing a $750,000 expansion of its base lodge.

Pats Peak was started in 1963 by four sons of Merle Patenaude on land owned and logged by their father, and is still owned by one brother, Wayne Patenaude. In 2013 it expanded onto adjoining Craney Hill, opening what it calls Cascade Basin, the first enlargement of its boundaries in its history.

The Vermont ski area Ascutney was also the source of a high-speed detachable quad chair bought by Crotched Mountain Ski Area in Francestown.

(David Brooks can be reached at 369-3313 or dbrooks@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @GraniteGeek.)

• obienickobienick expert
    Lift update from New England Ski Industry http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=588

Re Magic: "While unexpected issues have been found with the partially installed Borvig double"

No s***, Sherlock.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Who didn't expect issues? I don't know a darn thing about lifts, but I expected issues. Heck, I didn't think they could even use the stuff...I figured it was standing scrap
  • slathamslatham advanced

Who didn't expect issues? I don't know a darn thing about lifts, but I expected issues. Heck, I didn't think they could even use the stuff...I figured it was standing scrap

Believe me the people involved with resurrecting Green knew there would be issues along the way. This language is from the reporter, its not a quote (fake news?), Whether or not the challenges have been more or less then they budgeted I cannot say. But its obvious from the updates and in speaking with them that none of the issues to date have been show stoppers.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    slatham said:

its obvious from the updates and in speaking with them that none of the issues to date have been show stoppers.

Hey that's great, and pleasantly surprising!
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    The green and blue trails are crowded at Pat's when it's busy regardless of their lift config.  Most of the time they don't even fully load one triple chair though.  I can't think of any popular and easily accessible area that is much better in that regard on a high season Saturday though.