Areas where there is skiable terrain (on the trail map) where one has to climb to ski

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,802
A recent thread detoured onto "how few ski areas are on the highest peak in states".  From there it digressed into a discussion how in some cases (such as Mt. Mansfield), the lift doesn't go to the summit.

There are many areas where there is skiable terrain (on the trail map) where one has to climb to a trail to ski these trails.  (Do you smell a list coming?)

Mad River Glen to get to Paradise
Killington to get to Catwalk
Stowe to get to the top of Nosedive
Wilson's at Ragged (although I don't think it is still on their newest trail map)

What else can you add?

Comments

• xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    edited June 14 Posts: 41
    The Saddle @ Cannon perhaps has the longest walk up hill to access a marked trail in the East that I can think of
    Downeast Glade at Camden and the new trails at Black, ME which branch off Moxie.
    - Sam
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Can we include trails that require hiking at the end? Lower FIS at Mt. Ellen comes to mind.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Upper trails at Arrowhead.

East Bowl at Burke has a slight uphill climb.

New England only? Can we expand to Northeast?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Great topic
    Snow fields at sugarloaf and backturd basin
    I recall hiking into the outer reaches of casablanca glades at Saddleback
  • JAM614JAM614 intermediate
    edited June 14 Posts: 21
    Black Mountain of Maine.
    New trails, currently list on the trail map as "Backcountry" are being cleared this month. 200 vertical foot hike from the summit lift. The Bagaduce.
    20170610_135355.jpg
    4032 x 2268 - 4M
  • shprideshpride intermediate

Can we include trails that require hiking at the end? Lower FIS at Mt. Ellen comes to mind.

Lower Antelope at Mad River Glen also has a hike back at the end of it
    edited June 14 Posts: 21
    Wesserunesett at BMOM
    FB_IMG_1497448009866.jpg
    960 x 720 - 116K
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    JAM614 said:

Black Mountain of Maine.
    New trails, currently list on the trail map as "Backcountry" are being cleared this month. 200 vertical foot hike from the summit lift. The Bagaduce.

It is a long hike to get to these trails.
    TomWhite said:

JAM614 said:

Black Mountain of Maine.

It is a long hike to get to these trails.
    10-15 minute hike
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

JMaul said:

New England only? Can we expand to Northeast?

Windham definitely
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Sugarbush, Lincoln Peak, skiable terrain above Heavens Gate that was once accessible by the Gondola.
    slatham said:

Sugarbush, Lincoln Peak, skiable terrain above Heavens Gate that was once accessible by the Gondola.

About a 200' straightaway in one direction, or a sheet of ice ending in a catwalk the other. And not listed as trails, which I think is one of the criteria?
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    How much of a "hike" are you talking about? For example, Paradise at MRG qualifies but not Upper Antelope which also involves a small bit of side stepping? If you include that, then you might also include Heaven's Gate at the Bush to get to Organgrinder and Jester, a little bit of uphilling there. Certainly as much there as Forerunner to Nosedive (I really don't think of that as much up hilling at all, that is skateable). 

Sub-category might be long traverses that have a slight bit of uphill which would include East Bowl at Burke and Muleskinner at Saddleback. Rat at MRG might also qualify here... despite it not being on the map or trail report, it is an officially named trail with a trail sign at the entrance. You could include the upper upper entrance to Partridge as well...

Sub-category might include long traverses back such as East Bowl at Burke, L.A. at MRG, and FIS at Bush (LA at MRG requires side stepping uphill, that is certainly one of the most punishing returns). 

Mittersill already mentioned to ski "The Saddle" which is on map so that can qualify as on map and not sidecountry as it used to. I think only Sugarloaf's Bracket Basin has more uphilling to get to on map terrain. 

Outpost trail pod at Pico requires a bit of uphill traversing when the double is not running. Just enough uphilling to keep folks away but not too much to make it much of a chore.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited June 17 Posts: 1,802
    Remember: The citerion is "Must be on the trail map".
    Summary #1

More questions than summary:
    riverc0il: I had Stowe to get to the top of Nosedive.  For some reason, I remember a chute from the top of Fourrunner to the top of Nosedive from where they used to start races.  Do I remember wrong?

Also, I'm not familiar with a trail (on the trailmap) called Rat at MRG.  Where is that?
    ---
    Can someone confirm that East Bowl at Burke and/or Downeast Glade at Camden have sufficient uphill climbs to qualify for this list.

ME: 
    - Big Squaw: Upper trails since upper lift closed
    - Black Mtn. of Maine: I'm told that a lift/pod is planned for area, but until it's there, it counts
    Camden: Downeast Glade (added as per NES13 comment below)
    - Mt. Abram: Upper Snowfields  (added as per NES13 comment below)
    - Saddleback: both Muleskinner and Casablanca
    - Sugarloaf: Snowfields

NH
    - Arrowhead: Upper trails since upper lift was removed
    - Cannon/Mittersill: The "Saddle" between them
    - Crotched: The entire upper mountain before the Rocket was installed.
    - Ragged: Wilson's (although I don't think it is still on their newest trail map)

VT
    - Killington: to get to Catwalk
    - Mad River Glen: to get to Paradise

Got more?
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    How about putts panic or putts pearl (I can't remember which one) it's a very steep short cliff filled chute at Blandford that you have to hike up to, to ski down right in the middle of the hill. I'll try to dig up a picture
  • edited June 16 Posts: 2,010
    Downeast Glade at Camden definitely qualifies, look at their trail map.
    - Sam
    MrMagic said:

How about putts panic or putts pearl (I can't remember which one) it's a very steep short cliff filled chute at Blandford that you have to hike up to, to ski down right in the middle of the hill. I'll try to dig up a picture

Is it on the trail map?
    The Rat showed on the 70's MRG map, but was not labelled. Does not show on current map, nor does it have any signage. 

The Rat showed on the 70's MRG map, but was not labelled. Does not show on current map, nor does it have any signage. 

Where is (was) it? Octopus side? 19th Hole side? or the cliffs of the the Double?
    edited June 16 Posts: 1,118

riverc0il: I had Stowe to get to the top of Nosedive.  For some reason, I remember a chute from the top of Fourrunner to the top of Nosedive from where they used to start races.  Do I remember wrong?
    This is correct, competitions started above the lift. the Nose Dive has been modified a couple of times

1952-National-Championships-001.jpg
    1008 x 1613 - 184K

Where is (was) it? Octopus side? 19th Hole side? or the cliffs of the the Double?
    Double side. Winds around and actually hits Rt 17 near the last turn to the north on 17 (near the town line) and also at the upper switchback about a 1/4 mile below that. Between those two points it goes by the houses along that stretch before leading to practice slope area.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Bim's Whim at Sunday River requires a short uphill from the top of the Locke Mtn triple, similar or slightly more than getting to Paradise at MRG.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I remember riding the upper T-bar at Sunday River in maybe 1971; it unloaded exactly on the summit of what is actually Barker Mt (elevation 2594). That's where Bim's Whim started. The triple chair unloads a bit further west, leaving that uphill. 
  • catamount82catamount82 novice
    edited June 16 Posts: 13
    I know the swamp yankees here want to keep things in New England, but let's not forget NY who provides a YUUUUGE chunk of the revenue for New England ski industry. I believe the Slides at Whiteface may qualify for this.
  • pagamonypagamony advanced

RE:  STOWE MAP

I love it, look at all those hand lettered angle annotations.  I probably would have died on the snow conditions, but man i would love to go back in time and ski that layout and scale.  
  • obienickobienick expert
    So that's why it's called "National"...
  • ski_itski_it expert

I know the swamp yankees here want to keep things in New England, .....

Hey I resemble that remark, but I'm for inclusion of everyone.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Rat at MRG is off snail, it connects to the top of the practice slope and the upper lot and house along the road. It isn't on the map but it is a signed trail. Most folks that ski MRG don't know about it but it isn't a secret, it has a trail sign and is a popular route for certain situations... climbing is very minimal but you do have to 'bone or side step in one or two spots.

If Cassa and MS at Saddleback are on the list, then East Bowl should go on the list too. Not as long of a slog as MS but I think perhaps shorter than the first Cassa shot. I don't ski East Bowl too often because of the work it takes to get out and get back (effort to reward ratio isn't there for me) which is saying something considering how much sides stepping and uphilling I do...

Forerunner to Nosedive is less work than MRG Single to Antelope, I don't think it is applicable given the criteria. It is a barely uphill skate to get past the Stonehouse. I wouldn't consider it an uphill at all, you can skate it off the lift without any need of sidestepping.