Areas where there is skiable terrain (on the trail map) where one has to climb to ski

Comments

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    I rode the single and double in '79-80 season. I don't recall a midstation for the single. That's where the finish of the slalom is on the map. Was it still there then? What was the last season for the single? I think 1986 was the last for the double because the original Forerunner was broken down for Christmas. People were saying, Couldn't they have left the double.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

I know the swamp yankees here want to keep things in New England, but let's not forget NY who provides a YUUUUGE chunk of the revenue for New England ski industry. I believe the Slides at Whiteface may qualify for this.

I have no problem if someone wants to summarize other states.  I don't know the mid-Atlantic states well enough to do credible summaries on those states - and if you do try to do summaries, they are more time consuming than you might imagine.
    Snowfields at Mount Abram has a short walk uphill that can be sidestepped without too much trouble. What is the minimum hike distance/vertical gain for this thread?
    - Sam

Snowfields at Mount Abram has a short walk uphill that can be sidestepped without too much trouble. What is the minimum hike distance/vertical gain for this thread?

Are these snowfields on their trail map?
    edited June 17 Posts: 1,717
    riverc0il said:

Rat at MRG is off snail, it connects to the top of the practice slope and the upper lot and house along the road. It isn't on the map but it is a signed trail. Most folks that ski MRG don't know about it but it isn't a secret, it has a trail sign and is a popular route for certain situations... climbing is very minimal but you do have to 'bone or side step in one or two spots.

If Cassa and MS at Saddleback are on the list, then East Bowl should go on the list too. Not as long of a slog as MS but I think perhaps shorter than the first Cassa shot. I don't ski East Bowl too often because of the work it takes to get out and get back (effort to reward ratio isn't there for me) which is saying something considering how much sides stepping and uphilling I do...

Forerunner to Nosedive is less work than MRG Single to Antelope, I don't think it is applicable given the criteria. It is a barely uphill skate to get past the Stonehouse. I wouldn't consider it an uphill at all, you can skate it off the lift without any need of sidestepping.
    Regarding Rat at MRG: I haven't found any trail maps that show it.

The climb at Saddleback from Warden's Way to Casablanca and Muleskinner is substantial.  If East Bowl is comparable and on the trail map, I'll add it, but at what area is East Bowl?

Regarding Nosedive, the photo above that rickbolger posted is what I remember.  It appears to be about 400' of vertical. Are we talking about the same thing?

They are
    - Sam

They are
    Added in last summary.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited June 17 Posts: 252

riverc0il said:

Rat at MRG is off snail, it connects to the top of the practice slope and the upper lot and house along the road. It isn't on the map but it is a signed trail. Most folks that ski MRG don't know about it but it isn't a secret, it has a trail sign and is a popular route for certain situations... climbing is very minimal but you do have to 'bone or side step in one or two spots.

If Cassa and MS at Saddleback are on the list, then East Bowl should go on the list too. Not as long of a slog as MS but I think perhaps shorter than the first Cassa shot. I don't ski East Bowl too often because of the work it takes to get out and get back (effort to reward ratio isn't there for me) which is saying something considering how much sides stepping and uphilling I do...

Forerunner to Nosedive is less work than MRG Single to Antelope, I don't think it is applicable given the criteria. It is a barely uphill skate to get past the Stonehouse. I wouldn't consider it an uphill at all, you can skate it off the lift without any need of sidestepping.

The climb at Saddleback from Warden's Way to Casablanca and Muleskinner is substantial.  If East Bowl is comparable and on the trail map, I'll add it, but at what area is East Bowl?

Regarding Nosedive, the photo above that rickbolger posted is what I remember.  It appears to be about 400' of vertical. Are we talking about the same thing?
    Are we talking about current ski areas or historical trail maps? There is nothing on the map at Stowe that you need to hike 400' to ski. Plenty of off map at Stowe with a hike, nothing no map. The map posted by rick is half a century old.
    edited June 17 Posts: 1,717
    riverc0il said:

riverc0il said:

Are we talking about current ski areas or historical trail maps? There is nothing on the map at Stowe that you need to hike 400' to ski. Plenty of off map at Stowe with a hike, nothing no map. The map posted by rick is half a century old.
    Yeah - I'm more than a half-century old too and didn't notice the change to the trail map.  I have removed it from the list as per your suggestion!
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced

MrMagic said:

How about putts panic or putts pearl (I can't remember which one) it's a very steep short cliff filled chute at Blandford that you have to hike up to, to ski down right in the middle of the hill. I'll try to dig up a picture

Is it on the trail map?
    Yes it is posted on both trail maps and with trail signs I belive we had a topic about the trail some time ago: if it was or wasn't the steepest trail in Massachusetts
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited June 19 Posts: 1,061
    I wasn't suggesting that Nose Dive belongs, somebody raised a question, that's all.

• CannonballCannonball advanced

Can someone confirm that East Bowl at Burke and/or Downeast Glade at Camden have sufficient uphill climbs to qualify for this list.

Burke East Bowl:  I can confirm that on a snowboard it requires sufficient hiking/walking to make the list.  On skis it requires a moderate amount of skating/poling. 
    Spruce Peak at SR certainly met the criteria last season.  Hopefully not the case next season. 
    The uppermost portions of Jay's face require taking the stairs. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    The scramble to east bowl @ Burke is no big deal, strikes me as less elevation gain than getting to Upper Antelope 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

The scramble to east bowl @ Burke is no big deal, strikes me as less elevation gain than getting to Upper Antelope 

Even getting to Fall Line at MRG requires a hike to get the upper 50' vert...

On the trail map?
    edited June 19 Posts: 252

On the trail map?
    Face Chutes and Tuckerman Chutes are on map but also do not require a hike, maybe a small bit of side stepping. The entire ridge can be skied via the stairs but they are not a named route on the map.

Speaking of Jay, some trails may require a hike if all lifts are not running. This happens at Jay all the time. For example, if the Jet and Bonnie (fixed grips) are running but the Freezer and the Tram are not running, you can 'bone up to Weddlemaster and access everything in the Ullr's area except the first pitch of Ullr's and Poma Line. That is a considerable amount of 'boning and side stepping. 
    riverc0il said:

On the trail map?
    Speaking of Jay, some trails may require a hike if all lifts are not running. This happens at Jay all the time. For example, if the Jet and Bonnie (fixed grips) are running but the Freezer and the Tram are not running, you can 'bone up to Weddlemaster and access everything in the Ullr's area except the first pitch of Ullr's and Poma Line. That is a considerable amount of 'boning and side stepping. 

Yes. But this is true anywhere that lifts frequently shutdown: Jay, Wildcat, Cannon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, etc. That doesn't seem to be what this thread is about.
    I wasn't suggesting it be added, only suggesting that it was applicable given the criteria.

The difference between Jay and the areas you suggested is in scope. Top of Bonnie to Weddle can be done skating with skis on, maybe just a little side stepping if you prefer. Just a few minutes of hussle opens up a quarter of the mountain otherwise not reachable. This is more similar to the Pico Outpost than the mountains you suggest. I ain't talking about tossing your skis over a shoulder and investing 30+ minutes hiking an entire trail pod. I'm talking about no more work in sweet and effort than hiking to Paradise at MRG.
    I'd say that's very similar to Cannon. When the tram isn't running (i.e. 3 days a week) you can still ski Kinsman, Tramline, Banshee Glade, Etc. But it requires a short walk or skate back to the Zoomer.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Just a nostalgia note, not a candidate for the list:  In the late 60s and early 70s, when the east side of Sugarloaf was served only by two tandem T-bars, the Buckboard trail started a good 50-foot climb above the unloading of the No. 4 T-bar. Buckboard was the easternmost trail on the lower half of the mountain, a lovely easy intermediate run similar to Lower Widowmaker and Lower Ramdown. But because non-experts had to climb to get to it, it got less traffic and usually had better snow than Ramdown and Widowmaker. Experts, of course, could ski down to Buckboard from the upper T-bar. As a low intermediate in those years, I skied Ramdown and Widowmaker many dozens of times - but Buckboard, because of the climb, maybe only half a dozen. Now the Whiffletree quad eliminates the climb.
    I'm not including climbing required due to lifts not running.

I'd say that's very similar to Cannon. When the tram isn't running (i.e. 3 days a week) you can still ski Kinsman, Tramline, Banshee Glade, Etc. But it requires a short walk or skate back to the Zoomer.

But the Cannonball is still running so it is all downhill to get to those trails. I think that would fall under a different listing of climbing to get back to lift rather than climbing to ski, like LA at MRG and FIS at Bush and East Bowl at Burke. 
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    If we are expanding to Northeast we could add The Slides at Whiteface. Possibly Upper Stielhang at Gore, about a 10ft. vertical sidestep to get to the very highest point on the trail. There is a lower entrance that requires no hiking. Cloud is a hell of a skate too, mildly uphill at the beginning.
    Ski it or die trying
    edited July 14 Posts: 1,717
    Remember: The criterion is "Must be on the trail map".

Summary #2

Some omitted: 
    - Stowe to get to the top of Nosedive.  This is no longer on the trail map, but was at one time.
    - Rat at MRG.  Several SJers knew of it, but it certainly isn't on recent trailmaps and I couldn't find it even on some of the historic trailmaps of MRG.
    - East Bowl at Burke: While on the trailmap, there is no consensus that it qualifies
    - Crotched: The entire upper mountain above Retro before the Rocket was installed.  Fully lift serviced now.
    - Ragged: Wilson's (although I don't think it is still on their newest trail map)

MA:
    - Blandford: Putts Panic or Putts Pearl 

ME: 
    - Big Squaw: Upper trails since upper lift closed
    - Black Mtn. of Maine: I'm told that a lift/pod is planned for area, but until it's there, it counts
    - Camden: Downeast Glade
    - Mt. Abram: Upper Snowfields
    - Saddleback: both Muleskinner and Casablanca
    - Sugarloaf: Snowfields
    - Sugarloaf: Brackett Basin (added 7/14/17 as per discussion below)
    - Sunday River: Bim's Whim

NH
    - Arrowhead: Upper trails since upper lift was removed
    - Cannon/Mittersill: The "Saddle" between them

VT
    - Killington: to get to Catwalk
    - Mad River Glen: to get to Paradise and Fall Line

Got more?
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    edited June 22 Posts: 64

- Rat at MRG.  Several SJers knew of it, but it certainly isn't on recent trailmaps and I couldn't find it even on some of the historic trailmaps of MRG.

You're not looking at the correct map:  Map with Rat

But the sign at the top says: NOTASKI
                                                TRAIL
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

I love the Rat. Just enough room for one skier to make quick tight turns.

My gang has had many pile ups on that trail due to someone crashing/stopping at one of the many blind spots. We always joked that it was like watching the chase scene in The Blues Brothers where all the cop cars pile up. Very much like Dukes of Hazzard or Smokey and the Bandit.  

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited June 22 Posts: 269

If you want to go expand to Northeast, I would nominate Hunter Mtn (Hunter One). The top part of Hunter One has Highlands and Hemlocks trails on the maps. Some years there is a lift shown, but others do not have it.

https://skimap.org/data/315/1/1283124373.jpg

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    NJSki said:

If you want to go expand to Northeast, I would nominate Hunter Mtn (Hunter One). The top part of Hunter One has Highlands and Hemlocks trails on the maps. Some years there is a lift shown, but others do not have it.

https://skimap.org/data/315/1/1283124373.jpg

There is a lift there: http://www.huntermtn.com/winter/map/?src=mappery