Areas where there is skiable terrain (on the trail map) where one has to climb to ski

13»

Comments

• CannonballCannonball advanced
    Boundary Line Glade at Bretton Woods.
  • ceoceo intermediate
    Brackett Basin at SL definitely belongs on this list. Anything east of Cant Dog involves some steep uphill slogging.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ceo said:

Brackett Basin at SL definitely belongs on this list. Anything east of Cant Dog involves some steep uphill slogging.

I disagree.
  • ceoceo intermediate

ceo said:

I disagree.
    Um, have you been there? The trail leading to the further-east glades has more than one section of steep 10-20'-vertical climb. The trail map is even more useless here than it is for the rest of SL, but the glades are definitely on it.
    ceo said:

ceo said:

I disagree.
    Um, have you been there? The trail leading to the further-east glades has more than one section of steep 10-20'-vertical climb. The trail map is even more useless here than it is for the rest of SL, but the glades are definitely on it.
    Anybody else have an input of Brackett Basin?  I was unimpressed - even turned off by the machine made symmetry of the area and figure that the way it was cut, most of the remaining trees will die within the next decade.  

That being said, my opinion is just that: an opinion: If I get other inputs that confirm ceo's comment, I will add BB to the summary list.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited July 14 Posts: 502
    I thought this is a thread about what on map terrain requires a hike to access not opinions on the terrain

You have to absolutely traverse to get to the far sides of Bracket and hike to get to Burnt Mountain.
    newpylong said:

I thought this is a thread about what on map terrain requires a hike to access not opinions on the terrain

You have to absolutely traverse to get to the far sides of Bracket and hike to get to Burnt Mountain.

I agree
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

Anybody else have an input of Brackett Basin?

Only that my daughter skied it one of the first few seasons and she loved it. She managed to get in there on a powder day so that might've been the kicker. She skis the chic chocs, spent the last couple years in CO does all kinds of gnarly tree stuff. She wouldn't necessarily notice the forestry practices.
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    Also not NE but I think Cathedral Brook at Belleayre fits the mold.
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    NJSki said:

If you want to go expand to Northeast, I would nominate Hunter Mtn (Hunter One). The top part of Hunter One has Highlands and Hemlocks trails on the maps. Some years there is a lift shown, but others do not have it.

https://skimap.org/data/315/1/1283124373.jpg

I've skied Hunter many times but I don't ever remember that lift being open to the public, only racers.

• tededetedede advanced
    The Slides at Whiteface.  Yes, on the map.  Not in New England.
    tedede said:

The Slides at Whiteface.  Yes, on the map.  Not in New England.

It's been mentioned a bunch.  I've got no problem if someone wants to do a summary of the mid-Atlantic state ski areas that fit.
  • newmannewman advanced
    skirijck said:

NJSki said:

If you want to go expand to Northeast, I would nominate Hunter Mtn (Hunter One). The top part of Hunter One has Highlands and Hemlocks trails on the maps. Some years there is a lift shown, but others do not have it.

I've skied Hunter many times but I don't ever remember that lift being open to the public, only racers.

I agree. The Highlands and Hemlocks are race only trails. They may use Eisenhower for a big race once or twice a season.

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    newman said:

skirijck said:

NJSki said:

I agree. The Highlands and Hemlocks are race only trails. They may use Eisenhower for a big race once or twice a season.

But, they are skiable via a lift. If you count them, then you can count virtually any other lift pod that is closed but allows hike-to-ski (Castlerock at Sugarbush is in that boat quite often). It's up to the OP to call, but I thought the thread was about trails that are named on the map and only skiable if you hike up/over to them from another part of the area.
  • newmannewman advanced
    If you are the general public and want to ski them you have to hike. I would put it in the category of SR Spruce Peak last season. Snow was made on trails with no lift service. Anyway, I'm not sure weather one or the other even fits into this thread anyway.