Waterville Valley Improvements

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 429
The (announcement) video on their site doesn't play. So there's general info, with details to come.

Waterville
Valley Resort Secures Funding To Begin Phase II of its $7.5 Million Improvement
Plan

Waterville Valley Resort, June 14,
2017—Waterville Valley Resort announced that it has secured funding to begin
work on Phase II of its $7.5 million capital improvements plan that began with
the Green Peak Expansion in Fall 2016. Phase II of this capital investment
program will bring multi-year infrastructure upgrades and improvements
throughout the resort.

“This is the second step in the most
exciting revitalization of Waterville Valley Resort in over 30 years.  We
are proud to be the only mountain on the East Coast pursuing a renovation of
this magnitude” says John H. Sununu, Waterville Valley Resort CEO and Chairman.

The Green Peak Expansion project added a
second peak and 45 additional acres of terrain in 2016/17. Phase II of
development will include new projects throughout the resort, as well as the
completion of the Green Peak Expansion. Work will include additional Green Peak
trail clearing and installation of a new snowmaking system, upgrades to
existing snowmaking infrastructure on Mount Tecumseh, multiple lift
enhancements, base lodge renovations, a new beginner area experience, nordic
trail system improvements, and additional summer offerings.

• Green Peak Completion

• Snowmaking Upgrades

• Lift Enhancements

• Base Lodge Renovations

• New Learners Area

• Nordic Terrain Improvements

• Expanded Summer Offerings

Comments

• RemskiRemski advanced
    edited June 14 Posts: 326
    From what I experienced this pass season the likes of abundant and agressive snowmaking,top notch grooming, terrain features on Valley Run geared toward fun for almost all abilities. Serious glades along with the new terrain on Green Peak definitely made me head there 3 times this pass season.
    Tim, you and the crew are doing an over the top job in my opinion.
  • edited June 15 Posts: 1,926
    Remski said:

From what I experienced this pass season the likes of abundant and agressive snowmaking,top notch grooming, terrain features on Valley Run geared toward fun for almost all abilities. Serious glades along with the new terrain on Green Peak definitely made me head there 3 times this pass season.
    Tim, you and the crew are doing an over the top job in my opinion.

I would certainly have to agree based upon my visit there this year :)]
    - Sam
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Well thanks.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    Their 3 min. video is now running. Other than more snowmaking on Green Peak, still no specifics. Here's what Liftblog.com says:
    • Waterville Valley secures $7.5 million for future projects including multiple unspecified lift upgrades.  “To answer one burning question, we do have multiple options in development regarding the High Country lift,” the resort says on Facebook.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    WV is in a bad state of deferred maintenance.  They could easily spend $7.5M just doing basic maintenance. If you don't count the relocated old lift (a 1985 installation) now on Green Peak, their newest lift is the 20-year-old Quadzilla.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

ropeways.net | Home | 2017-06-19

Green Peak Construction Continues at Waterville Valley

Snowmaking and trail excavation work have resumed this spring.

While piles of snow still remain on Exhibition, Waterville Valley construction crews have already been working for weeks on this year's Green Peak projects.

Waterville's first large scale expansion since the late 1960s, Green Peak will eventually feature 10 trails of all abilities. Novice-intermediate trails 51, 52, and 53 debuted in January, while the Green Peak triple chairlift officially opened on February 11. Temporary snowmaking pipe was installed on Chandler's Way (Trail 51) to service the summit of the new peak.

The temporary pipe was removed earlier this spring and permanent 6" pipe is now being installed on Chandler's Way. Pipe is expected to be installed on other Green Peak trails as well.

Meanwhile, excavation of the new trails resumed this month and is currently focused on Governor's Run (Trail 57). Trails 51, 52, 53, and 58 were excavated prior to the snow flying at the beginning of the 2016-17 season.

Source: "NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com"

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com

• Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    Josh, do you really mean "deferred capital" vs. "deferred maintenance". I would agree with the need for capital $ investment but couldn't support the deferred maintenance perspective in regards to WV.

Josh, do you really mean "deferred capital" vs. "deferred maintenance". I would agree with the need for capital $ investment but couldn't support the deferred maintenance perspective in regards to WV.

I am not sure of the difference.  The area has a run-down feeling to it usually symptomatic of "deferred maintenance", but I suspect any area whose newest capital project is greater than 15 years is in a "deferred capital" situation.

I am not sure of the difference.  The area has a run-down feeling to it usually symptomatic of "deferred maintenance", but I suspect any area whose newest capital project is greater than 15 years is in a "deferred capital" situation.

What did you find run-down about Waterville? On recent visits to ski and mountain bike everything seemed well-maintained.
    - Sam
    edited June 19 Posts: 1,716

What did you find run-down about Waterville? On recent visits to ski and mountain bike everything seemed well-maintained.

A number of things, but admittedly, it has been a couple of years:
    1. The lodge had a dirty feel to it: Worn carpets, smelly rest room; general mustiness
    2. Lift towers were rusty, etc.
    3. The glades were unmaintained as evidenced by the downed limbs
    4. etc.
  • Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    What Josh refers to is definitely deferred maintenance. I think over the past two years those types of problems have improved. Although still not perfect at WV. The current mgmt team appears to be improving many of those types of issues. The area is still in need of capital $ investment to be competitive with its local competition I. E. Magic carpets, new lifts etc. The most important aspect is the quality of the snow and trail care and I think over the past couple of years, those aspects have greatly improved. Josh, it is probably time to give WV another try.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate

WV is in a bad state of deferred maintenance.  They could easily spend $7.5M just doing basic maintenance. If you don't count the relocated old lift (a 1985 installation) now on Green Peak, their newest lift is the 20-year-old Quadzilla.

Little Quadzilla is all grown up now.  He stopped wearing the baseball cap and changed his name to Valley Run.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    And now they are replacing the High Country double with a T-bar. How sweet is that.
  • obienickobienick expert
    bobbutts said:

Little Quadzilla is all grown up now.  He stopped wearing the baseball cap and changed his name to Valley Run.
    Which shouldn't have been done IMHO. That cap was what set the Quadzilla apart from all the other Doppelmayr UNI-M high speed quads built in the need-for-speed era of the late '90s. As a kid, I always looked forward to it.
    Remski said:

And now they are replacing the High Country double with a T-bar. How sweet is that.

What?!? A chair being replaced by a T??? What make?

:D :D :D

IBRAKE

Remski said:

What?!? A chair being replaced by a T??? What make?

:D :D :D

IBRAKE

Not announced yet

It's great to see the popularity of T-bars increasing again!
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I have a hard time believing they will do do that, but I welcome it. To me it's an ideal place for a T ..,,if they run it regularly
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I have mixed feelings about WV's summit lift.  In past years, they've used the High Country chair for early season skiing and assuring a usable T-Bar track dilutes the effectiveness of the snowmaking on the rest of the High Country pod.  What's more, a T-Bar is a kiss-off for most Riders.  I think they would have done better with a very low-to-the-ground chair to protect it from the wind, which has been the major impediment to using the High Country Chair.

In addition, the skiable area of the High Country is very exposed to the wind.  I think they would do well to start growing rows of trees to protect the skiable areas from the wind.  At that elevation, trees grow very slowly, so until they take hold, some good old-fashioned snow fencing would do the job of holding the snow and protecting the new-tree growth.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate

I have mixed feelings about WV's summit lift.  In past years, they've used the High Country chair for early season skiing and assuring a usable T-Bar track dilutes the effectiveness of the snowmaking on the rest of the High Country pod.  What's more, a T-Bar is a kiss-off for most Riders.  I think they would have done better with a very low-to-the-ground chair to protect it from the wind, which has been the major impediment to using the High Country Chair.

In addition, the skiable area of the High Country is very exposed to the wind.  I think they would do well to start growing rows of trees to protect the skiable areas from the wind.  At that elevation, trees grow very slowly, so until they take hold, some good old-fashioned snow fencing would do the job of holding the snow and protecting the new-tree growth.
    Before they put the white peaks quad all the way to the summit the High Country trails were more typical NE style tree-lined runs.  With the quad and all that skier traffic they cleared them out to the current form.  Of course that didn't work out and the chair was shortened and now we're stuck with the situation where it's too open and windy for a chairlift.  Quite a series of mistakes.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited July 6 Posts: 1,651

I must have missed where above WV says they are replacing the chair with a T-bar. If they do replace it they don't necessarily have to use the same lift line.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited July 10 Posts: 222
    Perhaps the T-bar is an interim solution that mitigates the effect of the old High Country chair's problems (de-roped 3 times in a month is not cool) at not too great a cost & with a tow that can be moved and reused.

This would make sense if WV is looking at a longer term effort to reestablish its prestige with a new signature lift.

I'm thinking Chondola type lift from the Village to the base lodge to the White Peak Express unload to High Country unload. 3 stages like the original Killington Skyeship, with the ability to shut down High Country without the loss of other sections. A bubble six or eight pack would work nicely, Mount Snow's has reportedly had only 1 wind hold since it was installed - the weight & aerodynamics of the chairs make the difference.

A programmable Chondola would make WV really posh; imagine cabins serving all points from village to summit for hotel/condo/elite guests while others get bubble service upward from the base lodge. 

Tie the above together with some accessible radius parking (cut traffic & less climbing to base lodge) and extension of trails to the village/lodging (like Sunday  River) & parking (Killington style). Sort of the Disney model, getting there becomes part of the fun in lieu of a sweaty climb loaded with gear. 

The left over quad can be a later upgrade to Green Peak. Perhaps the T-bar stays on High Country for early season and windy days.

Joshua S. , you ready to go there with these few changes? Perhaps wine & cheese service in the Gondi Cabs would enhance things? 
    Nelsbeer asked, "Joshua S. , you ready to go there with these few changes? Perhaps wine & cheese service in the Gondi Cabs would enhance things?"

I suspect I've reached the point of "I know what I like."  For next season, I've got my Peak Pass in conjunction with my teaching at CM and I purchased a season's pass at Killington.  I suspect days at any other areas next season will be few and far between.

I am amused, having skied with me all of these years, that you would think that wine and cheese would be any attraction for me.  I may be the anti-Christ of all things apres ski :-)
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    NELSBEER your Chondola suggestion from the village is spot on.  A large parking lot there with a lift ticket shack would be king.

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited July 10 Posts: 222
    Joshua, I didn't think that wine and cheese would attract you so much as amuse you. I know you would go to another lift with a shorter line to avoid the wine & cheese (& beer) crowd. Maybe one with eclairs?
    NELSBEER said:

Joshua, I didn't think that wine and cheese would attract you so much as amuse you. I know you would go to another lift with a shorter line to avoid the wine & cheese (& beer) crowd. Maybe one with eclairs?

Eclairs would be good!

NELSBEER your Chondola suggestion from the village is spot on.  A large parking lot there with a lift ticket shack would be king.

I agree.  Doing this would essentially turn the entire village into ski-on/ski-off.  
  • ski_itski_it expert
    So NESH shows the proposed Tbar line in the woods on the right side and it extends a little higher up.
    http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=588
    The plan for the LST T-bar has been approved by the Forest Service.

http://data.ecosystem-management.org/nepaweb/nepa_project_exp.php?project=52153&exp=detail
    - Sam
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate

imageimage

So long High Country double.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    DSCF4308.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 4M
    DSCF4315.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 4M
    imageimage
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    1280 x 960 - 216K
    image.jpeg
    1920 x 1080 - 354K
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Thanks everyone for the photos of one beautiful EARLY OPENING CHAIRLIFT.