bmwskier's summer challenge

bmwskierbmwskier advanced
in The Pit Posts: 303
All taken from Vermont Life-- circa 1950's to 1960's with some open and some closed. This one has a name, but can anyone give some more background on the skier? 
"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
Greg Stump
ski challenge #1.jpg
1517 x 1263 - 962K

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    AML was one of the US's first ski racing stars. I am sure details available with The Google. She moved to Mammoth Lakes, CA later in life and was a big advocate for protection of fragile ecosystems in the Sierra, most notably Mono Lake. I met her once and got a tour of Mono Lake with her. Incredible personality.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    she was one of the first inductees in the hall of fame, might say she was the Mikaela Shiffrin of her day.  Based on the age of her kids I'm going to guess that photo is circa 1965
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    Of course they're walking toward the Little Pico T-bar, I think the first in the US. My question is, where are they going to ski? They're really "stretching the season".
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited June 27 Posts: 264
    Was this the lift that could also be run as a single chairlift? With the snow as is, a T-Bar is not going to work, but the chairlift could get them higher up, where the patches of snow may be more consistent. Doesn't look like there is anything on the liftline in the picture.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    NJSki, that's the t-bar that acted like a chairlift on the top half of that run. It got so steep that the t-bar kind of tucked under the rider and felt like it was about to lift him or her off the ground. It served the A, B and C slopes. I can't remember which was the steepest, but they all were bumped up and often icy before snowmaking. I remember seeing a bunch of teenagers tearing the steep slope up. One of them was skiing on one ski with a cast on the ankle without the ski. It was covered with plastic, and it didn't seem to slow him down. The Chafee kid, including Rick and Suzy, along with Rebel Ryan, were i the group. 
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    It was a single chair lift in the summer. Cow.card or such has a colorized greeting card of it.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    edited June 30 Posts: 303
    Challenge #2
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    ski challenge #2.jpg
    1390 x 1239 - 954K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Sugarbush?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Not Sugarbush but good guess. 
    Greg Stump
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    Mad River Glen?
    I'd guess MRG as well. Lower Glade from Pocupine
    Nope-- not MRG...
    Greg Stump
    I'll split the difference -- Glen Ellen?  ;)
    Nyet-- not Glen Ellen...

When do folks either want a clue or another photo? 
    Greg Stump
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Stowe? Maybe Nosedive?
    Not Stowe...

Greg Stump
    another photo so JMaul can knock the rest of us out
    Gunstock?
    - Sam
    Cannon?
    Neither Gunstock or Cannon. All areas are in VT. 
    Greg Stump
    Killington?
    Not Killington either...
    Greg Stump
    ANother WAG: Smuggs?
    WAG Pico?
    Nope on both. I will post another photo tomorrow from the article-- but here's an ancient clue-- this was the area where the controversial "Natur Technik" of skiing was introduced to the United States. 
    Greg Stump
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    Jay?
    flbski gets it!  I will post the entire article later today-- there's a great photo of the stateside lodge (still looks the same) and the top of the mountain without the tramway. Also a center pole chair shot as well. 
    Greg Stump
    Complete article attached...imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Greg Stump
    pdf
    pdf
    Jay Peak Article.pdf
    8M
    pdf
    pdf
    Jay Peak Article-1.pdf
    4M
    pdf
    pdf
    Jay Peak Article-2.pdf
    5M
    pdf
    pdf
    Jay Peak Article-3.pdf
    6M
    pdf
    pdf
    Jay Peak Article-4.pdf
    5M
    pdf
    pdf
    Jay Peak Article-5.pdf
    6M
    And for challenge #3image
    Greg Stump
    ski challenge #3.jpg
    1616 x 2105 - 2M
    MRG Betsy Pratt?