bmwskier's summer challenge

Comments

Not MRG, though she does look like the old poster girl for MRG for the train, 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    Killington
    RickBolger gets it!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    Of course, look at the snow coverage back then as well. 
    Killington had promotional post cards from the 1960s that looked almost identical to that photo, thinking they did a photo shoot and got a lot of mileage out of it
    Would be great to see those shots and to find the models who they took the photos of-- a before and after (assuming they're still alive and still skiing, like my friend, Dutch Wolf)

http://buffalonews.com/2014/06/08/amherst-veteran-put-his-life-on-the-line-in-the-sky-over-his-birthplace/
    One I knew but saw too late.
    So CR'd material is ok ? I won't tell anyone but they have a way of catching up with u
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I'm making sure not to take credit for it and include publication date and credits where available-- much like a cited source in a report or an article. 

In 1958-59, these were listed as the three largest areas in Vermont...image
    #2 of same groupimage
    And the last one (should be easy...)image
    #1 Mt. Snow
    #2 Bromley
    #3 Stowe/Spruce Peak

Those are awesome pictures!
    Right off the bat! They shouldn't have been hard. Look at the changes though-- where the lift lines are and even the actualy areas. Bromley was one of the biggest? 
    Stratton, at least, wasn't begun in 1959.
    With the exception of what appears to be the Pushover trail, it looks like the Blue Ribbon section of Bromley was a lot less tame in those days
    Just the sheer number of trees in the middle of trails stood out for me. Today they'd be ruthlessly cut down as hazards while back then they were part of nature. Today, one tree in a trail somewhere somehow earns that trail the right to be called a "glade"
    Wouldn't mind going back in time and skiing a day at THOSE ski areas
    I'll post some photos from the apre' ski scene as well. I agree with you wholeheartedly, though long thongs on leather boots leaves something to be desired for equipment. 
    My father's skis which I used my first season pre-dated 1958. At least there were metal toe-plates that held the hard-toed boots firmly. A more advanced skier than I was could definitely have a great day at Mt. Snow, Bromley or Stowe on those skis.
    NJSki, to really experience what it was like, you'd have to ski that stuff in the kind of equipment mapnut described when he skier there. I remember skiing at Spruce Peak one day, probably in the early '60s, when there was a junior race (I think they were 18 and under or something like that; real good skiers, anyway).
    The g.s. course ran down Main Street, the long trail down the middle of the mountain. The chair, a double, ran the length of Main Street and you could look down on most of the course. I rode up with one of the racers and asked him how he liked the conditions. "They're really fair," he said.
    That's when I really learned how good those kids were. We could see our reflections from the chair on that course as we rode over it. "Really fair," to him, meant it didn't change a lot for each skier. To me it meant rock hard, damn near ice. They were able to get their edges in somehow, but it was noisy. And they were in leather boots, most with buckles,(a few might have been in Langes) and on metal skis, probably nothing shorter than 210 (that's a guess. I really don't know). I, in my leather, laced, double boots and wooden Rossis, was very impressed. Still am.
    Those were the good old days. Believe me, nostalgia be damned, it's a lot better now.
    The map from this time period. How many are gone? :-( image
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 203
    bmwskier said:

The map from this time period. How many are gone? :-( image

Spent a lot of my youth going from NNJ to Madonna Mountain (aka Smugglers Notch) and always regretted never getting to Underhill Ski Bowl which was on the way and  still in operation in the late 60's, early 70's.  What I notice with that map is the one's that didn't exist at the time of its publication.  Bolton, Glen Ellen and Magic stand out. And Stratton too.
    Neat Map

In the Montpelier/Barre region,
    LYBRAND? Part of Norwich?

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    JMaul said:

Neat Map

In the Montpelier/Barre region,
    LYBRAND? Part of Norwich?

Agreed- Yes, Norwish was once two areas. Lybrand was the north-facing part- included a trail that was used for racing that is still cleared for backcountry goodness
    No route 89 or 91 to speed you to your destination either. Had to go old school. 
    Yeah, weekend ski trains with the club car...

I glanced through my ’69 ski atlas. Stratton’s vertical is
    listed as 1750’. That’s with the Sun Bowl. They now say 2003’. Hum, I wonder
    how they grew. Their first season was ’61-62. I was specifically looking to see
    how many T-bars Mt. Snow had then. I was surprised, only one, at the summit.

teighs said:

Which, has a lot to be said for all things considered. 
    bmwskier said:

teighs said:

Which, has a lot to be said for all things considered. 
    Also probably contributed to Mount Snow's rapid rise, I imagine Routes 2 & 5 must've been easier than many other routes for cars and buses for eastern New England, route 5 from Hartford, etc. and for western New England, parts of I- 91 in MA and up to Brattleboro were open circa 1958-1960

#8image