Unexpected trail names

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 150
We had a similar topic a long time ago - but what are some unexpected trail names? I'm leaving the definition broad and vague. These aren't "incorrect" trail names - like a trail called Molly's Folly that's an easy wide open slope.

Example - Ski Bromont in Quebec has quite a few trails named after US Cities- including Syracuse, Ft. Myers, and Ft. Lauderdale. A ski trail called Fort Lauderdale in Quebec? Now that's unexpected!

JD

Comments

That is awesome!
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    At Belleayre, "Lift Line Glade" under the Tomahawk quad chair isn't a glade - it's an unimproved, rocky and cliffy, seldom-skied liftline with no trees at all, but a lot of brush. Similarly, Big T Glade is an old T-bar line, no trees. Sorry if that's more in the "incorrect" category, but let's keep the topic going.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Not sure how to proceed here, but to me "unexpected" could also be "unintelligible", such as "Wilfred's Gawm" at Attitash and "Lostbo" at Black (NH), trails that need inside info (accurate or not, in the latter case) to understand.

Aside from that, I have no idea. maybe "Mad Box" at Huntah?
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    How about overused trail names? How many "Chutes" are out there? Or "Paradises"? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Those would hardly be unexpected.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited July 5 Posts: 1,653

On your first visit, I'd say 98% of the trails at Mt Abram would qualify.

And they have a Chicken Chute but no Paradise.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    It was pretty unexpected that Cannon would name a trail "Blueball"!    It's also unexpected that Lower Hardscrabble isn't lower than Middle Hardscrabble. 
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I'm used to by-passes being easier ways around a tough trail.  Ever try the Nosedive Bypass at Stowe?
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Chute at Windham never fit their protocol....
    It has since been renamed.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • skirickskirick intermediate

Mad Box at Hunter.

Not even sure why its a named trail anyway being flat and about 100' long, basicly cutting off a corner between two other trails.

It's not mad at all and I don't see anything that resembles a box.

To me it is unexpected that all of the little crossover trails at Black Mountain, NH have names.
    - Sam
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Jennifer's run at haystack always caught me of guard with all the other names revolving around hay/farming
  • newmannewman advanced
    skirick said:

Mad Box at Hunter.

Not even sure why its a named trail anyway being flat and about 100' long, basicly cutting off a corner between two other trails.

It's not mad at all and I don't see anything that resembles a box.

Mad Box is 600 ft long. It was put in just as another way to get off the quad ( now hs6), when it went in. They called it Mad Box because of the way it crosses the top of Belt Parkway and then dumps the skier onto Hellgate or Hugs Express. On a weekend it can certainly be like skiing a Mad Box.

• mapnutmapnut expert
    You mean Box as in an anti-gridlock box? That's in keeping with the City street names.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate
    At Gore, the High Pines Glades under the Top Ridge Triple has no trees. It is a clearing with a zig zag trail where you can ski between the zig zags if there is enough snow.