Lake Compounce Skyride Closed

Comments

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    That is a very steep ride and remote. I guess the NY accident gave them a spook and thought it best to shutter. Maybe ride counts were down as well. 
    This is pure speculation, but one would think the riders on these kinds of chairlifts are not as familiar with chairlifts, unlike most of us on chairlifts and even our kids. I would guess that different demographics and less experience are the differences between an amusement park lift versus ski resort lift. 
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

That is a very steep ride and remote. I guess the NY accident gave them a spook and thought it best to shutter. Maybe ride counts were down as well. 

This is pure speculation, but one would think the riders on these kinds of chairlifts are not as familiar with chairlifts, unlike most of us on chairlifts and even our kids. I would guess that different demographics and less experience are the differences between an amusement park lift versus ski resort lift. 
    Yup... It's amazing how the general, non skiing + riding public, doesn't seem to grasp the concept of sit down, pull down the safety bar, and remain quietly seated until instructed to lift the safety bar at the end......  8-| 8-| 8-|

And the comments on some of the Facebook pages of the local Hartford area TV stations about this, and the likely imminent massive bodily harm that people either have or would suffer if from this sky ride are hysterical!!  I can't even imagine how these people can safely say ride an escalator or and elevator... 
    :D
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    Hey Magic Mountain, There's a nice used quad chair coming up for sale soon. ;)
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    edited July 6 Posts: 314

Hey Magic Mountain, There's a nice used quad chair coming up for sale soon. ;)

good call, although it lacks the vertical..
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited July 6 Posts: 1,118
    DrJeff said:

Yup... It's amazing how the general, non skiing + riding public, doesn't seem to grasp the concept of sit down, pull down the safety bar, and remain quietly seated until instructed to lift the safety bar at the end......  8-| 8-| 8-|

And the comments on some of the Facebook pages of the local Hartford area TV stations about this, and the likely imminent massive bodily harm that people either have or would suffer if from this sky ride are hysterical!!  I can't even imagine how these people can safely say ride an escalator or and elevator... 
    :D

It stands to reason that the average theme-park-going public has become dulled to common sense and the dangers of misbehaving on these things.

I say that because nowadays they can board all sorts of contraptions that seem to defy gravity, and they're safely ensconced in a locked body restraint while they get flung around at harrowing speeds....ride after ride no harm comes to them. 

they can jump off impossibly high platforms and zipline safely to the next, or jump off a bridge and the bungee will keep them safe.

So certainly this ultra slow skyride couldn't pose any hazards...
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Seems pretty simple: Require kids under a certain age (18?) ride with adults. Done. Not that adults have much more sense, but seems like a better solution than just shutting it down.

Likely their insurance company put the squeeze on them. It is in Connecticut, after all.
  • obienickobienick expert
    NY accident? Am I missing something?
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    Personally I think the Great Escape incident was due to the girl messing around. The restraint bar on that lift goes down right to the top of your leg so thats really the only logical answer. The place is right down the road from me and quite a few people i know were questioning what actually happened. Weird things happened with this one. 
    Ski it or die trying
  • newmannewman advanced
    The LC quad is the lift that does the most very in Ct. A great ride IMHO. I think ridership and insurance do have a big say in this. Every time I rode that chair it was always running 75 percent of the chairs empty. A very steep and rocky liftline may make it seem scary for non skiers.