New Lift Construction in the Summer of 2017

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,671
After a relatively good ski season, it seems like there are very few new (or even moved) lift construction this summer.

Are there others besides High Country at WV; Spruce Peak at Sunday River; and Summit Lift at Pat's Peak.  Presumably, a Rangeley Chair replacement at Saddleback is being discussed, but as far as I know, no construction has begun.

What else is going on in the way of new lifts this summer?

Comments

• edited July 20 Posts: 1,871

After a relatively good ski season, it seems like there are very few new (or even moved) lift construction this summer.

Are there others besides High Country at WV; Spruce Peak at Sunday River; and Summit Lift at Pat's Peak.  Presumably, a Rangeley Chair replacement at Saddleback is being discussed, but as far as I know, no construction has begun.

What else is going on in the way of new lifts this summer?

it doesn't seem like a slow construction season at all to me. Besides what you mentioned, a Cupsuptic T-Bar replacement is being discussed, the Pasture J-Bar is likely being replaced by a carpet, the Green Chair is being installed at Magic Mountain, the Poma is being replaced by a T-bar at Burke, the West Side T-Bar is being installed at Whaleback, and two new quads are being installed at Sugarbush. In New York, Mount Peter is getting a new Partek quad and Bellearye is getting a gondola. There are likely other smaller surface lifts being installed and/or replaced.
    - Sam
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited July 20 Posts: 772

Here are some construction photos of the Belleayre gondola.

http://www.belleayre.com/the-mountain/mountain-improvements#ad-image-4

I'm not keen on it but will probably ride it once or twice. It will take a 3,000-foot trail dropping only 400 vertical feet to get from the bottom of the Tomahawk quad to the gondola base. That's flat.

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    OK well it looks like the Belleayre thing is legit!  I stand corrected, thought for sure it was some PR fantasy.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited July 20 Posts: 1,028
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
  • newmannewman advanced
    Mt Peter in Warwick NY is replacing two doubles with a new quad. Also, Hunter is expanding next season. New terrain, new us lift. I guess they have to keep up with Bellrayre expanding.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I really thought that thread got hi-jacked into a Pat's Peak thread, so I opened a new one!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    newman said:

Mt Peter in Warwick NY is replacing two doubles with a new quad. Also, Hunter is expanding next season. New terrain, new us lift. I guess they have to keep up with Bellrayre expanding.

I don't know if I ever knew of this place before. "Did you know that Mount Peter was started in 1936 by Macy's Department Store to show off and sell their ski fashion?"
    Looks cute. What's the vertical Kenneth?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Thank's Rick! That other thread was New England too.
    ~Rich~
  • newmannewman advanced
    Mt Peter is about 400 vert. The second double being replaced came from Split Rock Resort in PA. Partek installed and upgraded it. I'm surprised this place has this kind of money. It must get the people who once went to Hidden Valley NJ and Tuxedo Ridge NY. A nice place in southern NY state, the other New England.
    edited July 23 Posts: 1,671
    The following list was compiled from all posts to date.  Have we missed any? How many of these has the construction actually begun in earnest and will really be ready to go for the 2017-8 season?

1st Summary:

NH
    Pat's Peak, Summit Lift
    Waterville Valley, High Country
    Waterville Valley, Pasture J-Bar (likely being replaced by a carpet)
    Whaleback, T-Bar

NY
    Bellearye, new gondola. 
    Mount Peter, new Partek quad
    Whiteface, new lift from their beginner area to the mid station. 

ME
    Sunday River, Spruce 
    Saddleback, Rangeley Chair replacement (being discussed, but to date, no construction has begun)

VT
    Burke, West Side Poma is being replaced by a T-bar  
    Magic Mountain, Green Chair
    Magic, Magic Carpet (added as per slatham's input below)
    Sugarbush: 2 new quads 
  • ski_itski_it expert
    newman said:

Mt Peter is about 400 vert. The second double being replaced came from Split Rock Resort in PA. Partek installed and upgraded it. I'm surprised this place has this kind of money. It must get the people who once went to Hidden Valley NJ and Tuxedo Ridge NY. A nice place in southern NY state, the other New England.

400? really? Looks smaller on the trail map, but that height would be nice. I will check it out on GE some day. It's only 3 1/2 hrs away and I drove 1 1/2 hrs last season for 40 ft, so ....
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Magic is also putting in a "Magic" Carpet lift. It has been ordered but not yet delivered.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Montebedi and I skied Mt. Peter a few years ago. The vertical is only 300 feet, but there's one wide slope with steep pitch where you can make some turns. I'd guess the quad chair is replacing the side-by-side doubles on that slope, which has the max. vertical. It was busy when we were there, a New Year's Day.
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    The Mt Peter chair is replacing the shorter chair on the left when looking up.  One of those doubles to the top is relatively new.  Feels like like it should be about 5 years old, but is probably 10.  Think it was one of those partially used partially new Parteks.
  • montebedimontebedi intermediate
    mapnut said:

Montebedi and I skied Mt. Peter a few years ago. The vertical is only 300 feet, but there's one wide slope with steep pitch where you can make some turns. I'd guess the quad chair is replacing the side-by-side doubles on that slope, which has the max. vertical. It was busy when we were there, a New Year's Day.

Yeah great little family area.  I took both my daughters there for first trip.  Happy they putting in quad makes skiing with two kids easier.  Was thinking about probably taking a trip there this season.
  • newmannewman advanced
    mapnut said:

I've been looking at different sites. Everyone I've looked at claims 400 or even 450 vert. If I knew what year the original summit double went in I could see what ski lifts.org claims. The newer double may be on ski lifts.org, but it doesn't go all the way to the top.
    The newer double goes go to top. My sister live at the bottom and best friend at the top. With enough sting I should be able to measure it myself. :D
  • newmannewman advanced
    It drops you lower than the other chair. You can still access all trails via cutovers
    edited July 24 Posts: 1,671
    If you want to continue talking about Mt. Peter, please open a new thread.

Repost of 1st Summary to get this thread back on track:

NH
    Pat's Peak, Summit Lift
    Waterville Valley, High Country
    Waterville Valley, Pasture J-Bar (likely being replaced by a carpet)
    Whaleback, T-Bar

NY
    Bellearye, new gondola. 
    Mount Peter, new Partek quad
    Whiteface, new lift from their beginner area to the mid station. 

ME
    Sunday River, Spruce 
    Saddleback, Rangeley Chair replacement (being discussed, but to date, no construction has begun)

VT
    Burke, West Side Poma is being replaced by a T-bar  
    Magic Mountain, Green Chair
    Magic, Magic Carpet
    Sugarbush: 2 new quads 

The above list was compiled from all posts to date.  Have we missed any? How many of these has the construction actually begun in earnest and will really be ready to go for the 2017-8 season?
  • newmannewman advanced
    What's going on with the South Ridge chair at K Mart? Is that set for next summer or did that plan fall off the radar?
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited July 25 Posts: 772
    (Still on Mt. Peter) Go to the topo. Base elevation 800, summit elevation 1100. One of the sites gives the summit elevation as 1250. The crest of the ridge well above the lifts isn't even that high.
    I think the official plan was South Ridge next summer.

newman said:

Sorry, I thought you we're talking about the lower lower chair.  I guess with the mounting be so small, yup, the new one doesn't quite drop you off at the top.  Seemed like less than 10 feet difference in vert if I remember correctly (it's been a while).  At a larger place they would probably both be considered "summit" lifts.

newman said:

It drops you lower than the other chair. You can still access all trails via cutovers

• PeterPeter intermediate
    Is the Whiteface lift really happening this summer?  They haven't said much about it at all.
    Peter said:

Is the Whiteface lift really happening this summer?  They haven't said much about it at all.

The summary list above suggests 14 lifts.  I'm pretty sure only about half (perhaps 2/3) of them are really going to be done for the 2017-8 season.
    Good question, have not seen any construction updates. The only thing they posted on Social media is a refurb of a warming hut on Lookout mountain. Hopefully, someone who lives close can ride up and see if they are working at the beginner area base lodge. 
    ~Rich~
    Progress at SR Spruce Peak. Photo via SR's Instagram...
    Screenshot_20170810-075004.png
    1440 x 1952 - 2M
    Whoops photo didn't attach properly to that last post....

1440 x 1952 - 2M
    1440 x 1952 - 2M
    Screenshot_20170810-075004.jpg
    1440 x 1952 - 494K