swimming holes on or near Rt 100 ?

gimme789gimme789 intermediate
edited July 25 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 35

I may be making a summer trip along VT  Rt. 100  soon.

A question for the locals ..... 

Are there any nice swimming holes ( creeks, river, or lake) nearby Rt. 100 where I could stop and swim with my dog ?

thanks in advance

Comments

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited July 25 Posts: 245
    Years ago a small end of article snippet in Yankee Magazine gave roughly the following instructions:

• Leaving town drive along the river a bit until you come to a bridge with a bunch of trucks and cars parked on the shoulder and people carrying coolers & towels.
    • Park and follow the trail they are using until you reach the ledges/swimming hole.
    • Well behaved Dogs are welcome. There may be a clothing optional area a bit further up depending on the crowd and day of the week.
    I quickly applied the rules to my favorite swimming hole above Brattleboro on Route 34, they were correct.  Then it dawned on me they work for just about every village and Hamlet in the state. The main roads all follow the river & people commonly stake out the best swimming places.  Have fun & don't forget the Tennis Balls for the dog.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Beware, I remember a story posted here a few years ago about one popular spot (in northern Vermont, I think) that is extremely dangerous; several people have died there. Anyone recall?
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    mapnut said:

Beware, I remember a story posted here a few years ago about one popular spot (in northern Vermont, I think) that is extremely dangerous; several people have died there. Anyone recall?

Huntington Ravine, Richmond/Huntington, for one. Very dangerous.
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    http://www.swimmingholes.org/vt.html

Pikes Falls near Stratton and Bingham Falls near Stowe are two favorites, though they can get pretty busy.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited July 25 Posts: 875
    I definitely recommend Pikes Falls. Went there every year as part of the SMS XC dryland training camp. Pretty cold water from what I recall (source is Kidder Brook of the old quad fame on Stratton Mountain).

We also swam one year in a river by a polo field that we used for soccer. I do know we turned north on 100 but I can't find any hints of a polo field on GoogleEarth. I don't think it was the West River. There were leaches. I don't recommend.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    there are a lot if you follow 107 from just south of Stockbridge, going north (east?)  toward Gaysville/Bethel  if you poke around there are a bunch in the White River, roads that go to the left over the river have popular swimming holes under bridges
  • gimme789gimme789 intermediate
    Thanks for all the info !!!!   And that website also has some awesome pics and info !!!  
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Good dog one a bit off of 100-- in Hancock, take 125 to the top of Middlebury Gap. There's  parking area there. Walk south along the Long Trail and pass by a Middlebury Snow Bowl chair lift. This takes you to Lake Pliead. There may be Language School students there who may think you're the language police (no joke) but it's a good swim nonetheless. 

In the Granville Gap there are several holes but don't climb the falls.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Mad River in Warren.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Warren Falls to be exact. Huntington Gorge is not Route 100. Bolton Potholes and Bristol Falls are also in a similar area of Northern Vermont, not that far from Burlington. I highly recommend Warren Falls as the water is beautiful, cool and the Mad River Valley is gorgeous. 
    mtsnow123 said:

Warren Falls to be exact. Huntington Gorge is not Route 100. Bolton Potholes and Bristol Falls are also in a similar area of Northern Vermont, not that far from Burlington. I highly recommend Warren Falls as the water is beautiful, cool and the Mad River Valley is gorgeous. 

I know. He asked about a place in NVT where there had been fatalities. Huntington Gorge it was. Do not swim above or around the falls there.
    bmwskier said:

Good dog one a bit off of 100-- in Hancock, take 125 to the top of Middlebury Gap. There's  parking area there. Walk south along the Long Trail and pass by a Middlebury Snow Bowl chair lift. This takes you to Lake Pliead. There may be Language School students there who may think you're the language police (no joke) but it's a good swim nonetheless. 

In the Granville Gap there are several holes but don't climb the falls.
    I will check this out - you serious about the language students ? Where are they from ?  thank you
    where do you park to get to Pikes falls ?  thank you
    Absolutely serious. They sign a pledge when they go to Middlebury to speak only the language they're learning and there are "language police' out in town and yes, up at the lake checking in on them. Total and complete immersion. I did the school of English at Bread Loaf so I would run into them all of the time, 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    edited August 9 Posts: 35
    made it up 100, to both Pikes Falls and Pilead Lake (Middlebury Snowbowl). Then over to a drive up Whiteface, Blue skies both days.  Thanks for the suggestions, both places  were GREAT !!!!!    MSB  looks like a great place to ski !!!!

imageimage
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    Lake Pleiad is a great, easy hike. If you make it up to ski the Bowl sometime let me know!
    edited August 10 Posts: 35
    Betsy said:

Lake Pleiad is a great, easy hike. If you make it up to ski the Bowl sometime let me know!

Betsy said:

Betsy said:

Have you skiied there ?  Whats your thoughts on the area ?  You never know, I just might do that !

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited August 10 Posts: 1,687
    Ooh ooh ooh..,,can I answer this one Betsy? ....Ok I'll leave it to you.
    See Chuckstah trip report from late last March and New England Skiers from....sorry I forget when..but I think it was fairly recent.
    It's a cool place.. it has some great NE old fashion fallines left. It would be a good place for a SJ meeting.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    Its a fun mountain. Lots of rolling terrain. Nothing overly difficult but it's not "easy" either. Rarely crowded. I've never waited in a lift line. I would be happy organize a SJ get together there!
    Betsy said:

Its a fun mountain. Lots of rolling terrain. Nothing overly difficult but it's not "easy" either. Rarely crowded. I've never waited in a lift line. I would be happy organize a SJ get together there!

THE place to go on any Saturday or Holiday. Never crowded, and if snow is good, it has an incredible range of terrain. I also love the varied exposures- very unusual for an eastern area. 

Also, the Bowl Burger is unbeatable as a lunch option....
    I second all of this! I did a report a few years back (wow, actually seven I think) and found it a great place to ski-- and there are great views as well. 

Greg Stump
    you guys have me salivating .............