Call me Crazy but are the leafs changing?

ADKskierADKskier advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 206
So I spent the last two weeks deep in the Dacks, and some of the younger trees and swamp trees usually start turning the second the third week in August are starting to show color. Am I crazy or is anybody else noticing?
~Rich~

Comments

• ME2VTskierME2VTskier intermediate
    It's been a little cool, and drier than normal here. Tomorrow IS August 1st. The white birch have been dropping some leaves the past couple days, I figured due to the dry conditions. A few of the maples usually start turning here by the second week of August normally. Last year they were very late in September. As cool as this summer has been (never bothered putting the AC's in) I'm thinking the furnace is going to running earlier than normal this year.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I've seen the same deep in the ADK in past years.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    Driving down 73 from lake placid I saw what seemed to be some oranges and reds in a couple of trees in the shade...
    Ski it or die trying
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I went for a pretty long local hike in Southern NH today, and it was still all green.  Looks to be maybe 2- 3 weeks til things start changing.  The wild blueberries are getting there, not quite peak, but they sure do taste great as a trail snack!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    It's August.  Fairly normal.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Early changes sometimes indicate stress or damage of some kind. Check those trees in a year or two to see if they're still around.
  • 4aprice4aprice novice

It's been a little cool, and drier than normal here. Tomorrow IS August 1st. The white birch have been dropping some leaves the past couple days, I figured due to the dry conditions. A few of the maples usually start turning here by the second week of August normally. Last year they were very late in September. As cool as this summer has been (never bothered putting the AC's in) I'm thinking the furnace is going to running earlier than normal this year.

I have to ask where "here" is?  Cause around here (Northwest NJ) it has been quite wet this summer and not that hot either..(something I had heard or read predicted before the summer, so someone got it right) The foliage is lush any color in the leaves here is due to stress here (who, including the trees, wouldn't be stressed in NJ?) Summers like this have produced good winter's in the past.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier intermediate
    4aprice said:

I have to ask where "here" is?

Aroostook County, Maine
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    Long sections of roadside sumacs were all in full color this past weekend all over the eastern Dacks. Since they were only roadside, it seemed like it might be related to sun exposure or root systems affected by the road.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Was golfing Monday in northeastern MA and one tree on the course was completely changed. I figured the tree was sick or something and went on with my round. I don't recall what species the tree was.
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    Yep...just the early signs we're on our way to Winter! 

It's August.  Fairly normal.

"I need a powder day"

In Northern Maine we often see the leaves start to change color around this time.

- Sam
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Here in so. East NH today, I'm noticing leafs changing color in the swamp maples, weak trees and Sumacs typical for this time of year.
  • Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    I am up in Waterville Valley and I noticed some small trees which were in precarious spots turning color
  • frozenforeverfrozenforever novice
    Saw some very, very small patches of color in Southern VT this weekend.

• skirickskirick intermediate

The River Birch in my front yard which grows like a weed starts shedding yellow/brown leaves around mid-July every year and never stops until they're all gone in the fall.

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    I have red maples with small sections already turning from green to red.