Roxbury Gap Road from Norwich to Sugarbush

NJSkiNJSki advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 268

My nephew will be starting at Norwich University this fall, so I was hoping to pay him some weekend visits, and shoot over to Sugarbush/MRG. Google maps sends me over Roxbury Gap Road. I have never come from that direction, but I do remember Roxbury Gap Road being mentioned in the forum before. What can you share with me about what kind of road conditions I can expect throughout the ski season?

TIA

Comments

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Avoid it in winter and spring, if it's even open.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Not as bad as it used to be. Paved all the way to the top on the west side. East is still dirt for the upper mile and a half or thereabouts. As with driving any road in VT in the winter, keep an eye on conditions, drive on winter tires (not "all seasons"), and go slowly. My guess is it is passable the majority of hte times, but mud season (whenever it appears; has been in every "winter" month, recently) is really bad...
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    edited August 4 Posts: 313
    Moretown Gap is another option though when I was living in Brattleboro and working at Sugarbush I would take that route (Roxbury)  rather than 89-100B. 

Is your nephew in the Corps? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

Moretown Gap is another option though when I was living in Brattleboro and working at Sugarbush I would take that route (Roxbury)  rather than 89-100B. 

Moretown is far less steep, though longer stretch of dirt/mud. I have used both- pretty much a crap shoot, but if conditions are iffy, Moretown is the better option due to lack of pitch. Still can be an adventure...
  • mrvpilgrimmrvpilgrim novice
    I have been commuting into the valley from the Boston area pretty much every winter weekend for the last 7-8 years.
    I have found Roxbury gap to be very well plowed and maintained.
    Two exceptions
    I will not use in during a snow event. The paved downhill side into the valley is steep and can be slippery
    As mentioned in prior posts April May mud season it is a no go.

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    bmwskier said:

He is starting in the Corps this year, but has not committed to a future in the military. His brother enlisted in the Marine corps, and absolutely loves it, so it would be like him to finish and go to the Marines so he could out rank him.

He was a ranked wrestler in NJ high school last year, so he will be continuing in Norwich.

• ceoceo intermediate
    I had a bit of adventure on the way home from Sugarbush a few years ago, spun out into the ditch going down the east side. Surface was light snow over mud. Turned out the radiator was cracked and we had to get flatbedded home after making it as far as the general store in Roxbury. The proprietor told us about when someone following Google Maps tried to drive a bus full of skiers over the gap and got good and stuck.
    ceo said:

I had a bit of adventure on the way home from Sugarbush a few years ago, spun out into the ditch going down the east side. Surface was light snow over mud. Turned out the radiator was cracked and we had to get flatbedded home after making it as far as the general store in Roxbury. The proprietor told us about when someone following Google Maps tried to drive a bus full of skiers over the gap and got good and stuck.

I got spun by frozen ruts at the Grey Flannel Farm, just uphill of the change to dirt. Was going too fast for conditions, and luckily stayed on the road, but scared the bejeezus out of me. If you have winter tires, only speed will be your undoing (unless mud is up to the hubs...), or glare ice... 

Ah, winter driving...
    I've been in the ditch once on the east side going down. Called AAA from that beautiful house on the southern side that used to raise alpacas? Llamas? Always bummed on a clear day seeing the closed NU ski area from the top of the gap going east. 

I graduated NU in '89 and patrolled the ski area for work study (not a bad gig!) Senior year we didn't even spin the lift but for the previous three we had great seasons from Xmas through spring break. The Mountain Cold Weather Program used the chairlift to conduct "air assaults" to get ahead of visiting units walking the Lybrand trail. They'd set up an M-60 at the top in a sled and just wait....
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert

As in, a M-60 machine gun?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Yes, an M-60 machine gun. We used to have six of them there as well as around 100 M-16A1's, 50 or so M-14's and six M-203's. Mountain warfare practice was to take an ahkio (equipment sled) and mount the weapon in it for support, then throw  sheet over it for camo, making sure to anchor the back with a sling rope so the gunner doesn't slide forward or backwards. 

The school used to have a tank platoon of M-47's for training but alas, they're all long gone as well. 
    Greg Stump