Aug. 8 - The Transition to 2017-8

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,745
Whether your ski season is Oct. 1 to Jun. 15; Oct. 15 to June 1; Nov. 1 to May 15; Nov. 15 to May 1; Dec. 1 to Apr. 15; or Dec. 15 to Apr. 1: Aug. 8 is the date when we are closer to the 2017-8 season than to the 2016-7 season.

As we move from memories of 2016-7 to anticipation of 2017-8, what are the bees, woolie bears, Farmers Almanac, etc. saying?  Which new lifts will actually be ready for the new season?  Any tech innovations in equipment?  - and anything else you want to add about the new season?

Comments

Crossing my fingers and toes that Saddleback will have the Rangely chair replacement and the new Cupsuptic t-bar ready to go. 

Also crossing my fingers and toes all over again that Saddleback doesn't get talked out of installing the t-bar in favour of a Cupsuptic chairlift. 
    :-O :-O :-O

IBRAKE
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

Crossing my fingers and toes that Saddleback will have the Rangely chair replacement and the new Cupsuptic t-bar ready to go. 

Also crossing my fingers and toes all over again that Saddleback doesn't get talked out of installing the t-bar in favour of a Cupsuptic chairlift. 
    :-O :-O :-O

IBRAKE
    I'll be really surprised if SB even opens this year.  BTW: Saddleback historically runs an odd system: Opening around Dec, 15 and closing around April 15, so if you are a Saddleback regular, you've got until August 15 to be closer to next season.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    I'm not quite sure what it is, but I am seriously dying to get back on my skis.  The older I get, the more addicted to skiing I become!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for an amazing year.  Bring it on!!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    marcski said:

I'm not quite sure what it is, but I am seriously dying to get back on my skis.  The older I get, the more addicted to skiing I become!!

I seriously relate to what you're saying.  I thought I might not feel that way when I retired and routinely ski 100+ days a year since - and every year when I get off the chair to make my first turns, I wonder: Will this be the year that the magic disappears - after two turns, I have the answer!
  • skirickskirick intermediate

marcski said:

I seriously relate to what you're saying.  I thought I might not feel that way when I retired and routinely ski 100+ days a year since - and every year when I get off the chair to make my first turns, I wonder: Will this be the year that the magic disappears - after two turns, I have the answer!
    When you say magic, do you mean ability or enjoyment?
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Usually the years I load up on advance passes/vouchers etc., the season turns out to be a bust

I am considering the MAX pass, which would be my biggest advance cash outlay in ten years (it was the year Jeremy got all excited about the January "blowtorch")    I won't be surprised if we have an abysmal season.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited August 8 Posts: 216

marcski said:

JimK said:

I can relate too.  I've had a few ski dreams come true in recent years - resorts, terrain, snow.  Here's to the continuation of the magic:  image  

• 4aprice4aprice intermediate

Usually the years I load up on advance passes/vouchers etc., the season turns out to be a bust

I am considering the MAX pass, which would be my biggest advance cash outlay in ten years (it was the year Jeremy got all excited about the January "blowtorch")    I won't be surprised if we have an abysmal season.
    Buy the pass then plan the trips (you did miss the best pricing in March) We got our money's worth out of Max last season both east and west and re upped this season.  2 weekends to Loon which is one of my favorites, a nice little cross section of NY/VT/NH skiing between Gore Mt and Mount Sunapee. (saving those K tickets for April)  Bell and Windham for weekend day trips.  MC for nice weekday afternoons and best of all Colorado and Utah for vacations. (2 trips out west to see the boy).  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• becca_mbecca_m advanced
    I saw an ENTIRELY black woolly bear caterpillar yesterday about 10 miles east of Lincoln, NH!!!

Bring on the severe winter!!!!!

:)

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I would love to get out more this season, both patrolling and foraging up and down 100. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump