LIVE at Princeton Ski Bowl @ Bearpen Mtn Dr Ben Lane Sunday July 5

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited July 2015 in The Hook-Up Posts: 1,142
Ok everyone, this is your chance to meet Dr Lane at Bearpen Sunday. Njskibabe and I will be picking him and his brother Ken up and spending valuable time hearing THE story on way to Prattsville diner for ac10:00-10:30 meetup.

You will have the full day to hear from a 83 year old who built this 2000+ vertical ski area in the mid 50's who was in his 20's at the time as a fresh graduate from Princeton.

If you are at all interested this should be a priority if you are a Lost ski area lover.

Please post any pictures or verbage on this thread

Comments

• NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Looking forward to it. Meeting outside or inside the diner?
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    NELSAP said:

Looking forward to it. Meeting outside or inside the diner?

Just look for a 6'8" bald guy and a short gray Curley haired 83 yr old. And of course the gorgeous ski babe.
    We'll see if the Dr wants to eat breakfast first.

He said "bring hiking sticks", Russ should be there with a atv.
    James Deluxe also.

The Dr made it sound like it was almost drive able to the summit.

Jeremy do you have a 4wd?(the wife doesn't want to take my Gr Cherokee@17 mpg)

I guess I would wear jeans for possible priicker s at top.

Believe me as a former car salesman over 25 yrs this Dr Lane loves to talk.
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    edited July 2015 Posts: 76

I am really looking forward to finally being able to do this.

We had this all set up and then Hurricane Irene hit and cancelled our trip.

Bring cameras! This is one that should not be missed.

See you at the Prattsville Diner.  I have a dark blue Hyundai Elantra.

• NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I don't have a 4WD unfortunately. I used to, until my jeep decided to fall apart. The new NELSAP mobile is a 2008 VW Passat.

JD
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Wow. Sure wish I could be there Sunday to explore Bearpen with Russ, Dr. Lane and all the SJ gang gathering there. I'm sending this message as we drive past another ski area of yore: Renegade in Tennessee.

Have a great day! Best to all.

Woody
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited July 2015 Posts: 198
    Enjoy. It should be spectacular...and so cool to have Dr. Lane lead the way and give up the secrets of Bearpen. I would have loved to join you all, but it didn't work out.

And, fyi, there are definitely still clear trails to the summit. Lots of snowmobile activity in winter.
    Made it to NJ, see you in morning
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

I just figured out I could squeeze this in, and should get there between 10 and a quarter past. 

On our way, the Lanesimage
    image.jpg
    640 x 480 - 73K
    Simpsonsimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    View of Bearpen mtn from the former parking lot adjacent to Ski Run Rd where the "jitneys" ran skiers up.image
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    Nelsap, ThatNYguy, and Sweig(spell) looking over the rusted rope tow unitimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,142
    Dr Benjamin Lane and Nelsapimage

With some kind of rusted 60 year old mechanism behind JD
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    Hazy view from summitimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    The group minus yours trulyimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    Looks like a great trip! I wish that I could have been there, but I was exploring another NELSAP area in Maine...
    - Sam
  • jamesdeluxejamesdeluxe novice
    A really enjoyable time with the group and finally seeing first-hand what Russ has been talking about for all these years. Thanks to ThatNYGuy for the fantastic guided tour.

The biggest shock was realizing that the rumors about Dr. Lane being in excellent shape for someone in his mid-80s (and able to outhike people 30 years younger than him) were, if anything, an understatement. He's clearly discovered the fountain of youth.

The only small buzzkill was the brutal drive home on the southbound Thruway. 3.5 hours instead of 2:15 on the way up.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    A big thumbs up.  Thanks for the report.
    What great pics!
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    Awesome trip report. Sorry I missed the hike and meeting you all.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I suppose I don't have a right to ask, since I could have come but opted for a good day's rest*. I'd like to hear more details of what you learned from Ben and Russ about the old ski area and the recent work. *(My wife and I needed to recover from restoring our house to normalcy after a 2-month kitchen renovation.)
    Had Bearpen Mountain stayed open I truly believe that this ski area would have been a game changer for skiing in the Catskills. Dr. Ben Lane and his brother Ken were truly amazing to talk to. The people they met and the things they experienced during their lifetimes up to now were very interesting to listen too. And I believe that both of them have some billy goat blood in their body because they both out hiked the rest of us. The road we hiked up was pretty steep in some areas. Ben's brother Ken is a famous opera singer and has had quite a life also.

I also found out that a lost NJ rope tow was sold to Ben Lane for Bearpen Mountain.

We were also really blessed to have Russ LaChapell on the hike with us. He truly has a love and a passion for this mountain. It is a shame what people did to this group that wanted this ski area to succeed.

This was THE snowjournal hike!

Dr. Lane, his brother, Ciscokid and I also got to stop on the way up to quickly see the lost Simpsons Ski Area. We unfortunately did not have enough time to stop to see Highmount.

I highly recommend reading the Bearpen story.  It is really nice to have more perspective on the mountain and where everything was located.

It was a great group of people that showed up for this hike. And you can certainly tell that everyone loves ski history. Some people brought a few items to show the group.

mapnut said:

I suppose I don't have a right to ask, since I could have come but opted for a good day's rest*. I'd like to hear more details of what you learned from Ben and Russ about the old ski area and the recent work. *(My wife and I needed to recover from restoring our house to normalcy after a 2-month kitchen renovation.)

All in good time my pretty.( Ken worked with Margaret Hamilton)

When my heart rate comes back to normal I will give you details from my perspective of listening for 6 hours round trip plus dinner with the MERCURIAL Russ LaChapelle.

Sitting on the beach the next couple days will give me time to tell all.

And believe it or not - the wheels still spin on these old rope tow engines.
    DSC05618.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 3M
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited July 2015 Posts: 929
    thanks for the report!     **== :)]
    Here is one of the Bearpen trail maps. They had an ice skating rink up on the mountain too!
    54firsttrailmap.jpg
    678 x 806 - 111K
  • jamesdeluxejamesdeluxe novice
    Bearpen is absolutely choked with blackberries (and some red raspberries) all the way up to the summit, especially on the trails that Russ cleared out a few years back. If I lived closer, I'd go there and pick enough for 40 jars of jam.
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

It was such an honor to be in the presence of the Lane Brothers, and their pioneering spirit!!  The chance to spend quality face time with fellow Snow Journal members was equally rewarding. Thank you to all that helped arrange, and support, the hike.

• ski_itski_it expert

Awesome report everyone! Looks like it was fun. I nominate you all as Snow Journalists of the year.

And for you uninitiated; ThatNYguy=Russ=nyskiblog.com

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA