Comments

• slathamslatham advanced
    Wow, skiing is really becoming a mega resort business.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    wonder if that will be added to the max pass
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate

wonder if that will be added to the max pass

No way.  It will become part of the Aspen consortium when they release their new pass products next spring.  What happens to Solitude which is owned by the same people as DV has not been mentioned yet.  They are currently on Max and as a result tied in with neighbor Brighton making the BCC a duo able to compete with the canyons on either side of it.  Maybe Boyne steps up and becomes a player (they own Brighton).  I would love to see them get Solitude, and break into the Colorado market (Copper might make a nice acquisition, at least in my mind).  I certainly like their current eastern portfolio better then either Epic or Aspen's right now, but they are behind in the west.

What happens to Max next year (as well as Rocky Mt Super Pass) will be interesting as they lose some really big names in Steamboat, Winter Park, Tremblant, Snowshoe and Stratton.   They may very well be able to replace them with others and continue to march on. Saw where Smugglers was adding RFID, making me think they could be up to something like joining one of these pass products.  I still think Aspen may need a little more then just WP/MJ to compete with Epic in the Denver/Colorado market.  Again Copper (a reoccurring theme, no?) could be the ticket as its partnership with WP through RMSP and Max has been very successful from what I've seen and experienced. (They would bring Eldora with them)  Steamboat is just too far from Denver to be a day trip player.  Right now IMO Epic holds the advantage there.

Both Aspen's and Vail's lineups are awesome.  Can't go wrong with either.  Wouldn't mind if Boyne or a revamped Max joined the party to become players too.  It's going to be very interesting in March as these products roll out.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• slathamslatham advanced

http://blog.deervalley.com/deer-valley-resort-to-be-acquired-by-newly-formed-resort-company-and-joined-with-intrawest-mammoth-resorts-and-squaw-valley-ski-holdings/

In the Q&A the following was noted:

Question:  Is Solitude included in the buy?

Answer: No. Deer Valley partners will maintain ownership of Solitude Mountain Resort.

• 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    slatham said:

http://blog.deervalley.com/deer-valley-resort-to-be-acquired-by-newly-formed-resort-company-and-joined-with-intrawest-mammoth-resorts-and-squaw-valley-ski-holdings/

In the Q&A the following was noted:

Question:  Is Solitude included in the buy?

Answer: No. Deer Valley partners will maintain ownership of Solitude Mountain Resort.

Interesting that Solitude is not involved with this, as Deer Valley was not involved when they put Soli on Max.  We happen to ski it a lot as the condo we stay in is located between the 2 Cottonwoods and the wife is not a fan of the Bird.   I believe the combo of Brighton and Solitude is pretty key in getting people up that canyon.  With Max last season we didn't  even go up LCC and probably won't this year either.  They may very well keep Solitude on Max.

I know its not for everyone but in our situation now, I am loving these multi-area passes and feel like I'm making out like a bandit.  We had multiple days at at least 10 resorts from New Hampshire to Utah and got my ppd down to about $20.  Just read the ticket window prices and realize how good that is.   For the hard core skier there are some terrific deals out there with good variety (that freedom pass with some of the smaller gems is pretty interesting)   March will be very interesting as the Aspen v Vail war begins.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ