Which areas beside Killington and Sunday River will try to open in early Nov. or even Oct.?

RemskiRemski advanced
Last Fall I e-mailed Cannon asking if they were going to open early with all that new snowmaking power. The answer was that they were too busy getting all that snowmaking on the mountain to do it last season but they will revisit the possibility for the Fall of 2017 by doing something like they did in Oct. 1989. So we will just have to wait and see. Personally I hope they do it, because the terrain they opened back then is a lot more fun than what the others have offered.

Comments

Wildcat and Bretton Woods are always possibilities.

I wonder what will happen with Woodbury this year.
    - Sam
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Okemo will if the temps are in their favor.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Remski remembers 1989 when both Killington and Cannon opened on Oct. 1. BW competed for last-to-close honors for a season or two (2007-2009), but when they were sold, the new owners didn't value the late season product.  

Okemo, Woodbury - and even Brodie competed for first to open - never last to close.  Wildcat and Sugarbush competed for late season, but never early season.  

Sunday River and Sugarloaf were on both ends.  But I don't see anyone making a serious run at Killington as long as Mike S. is running the place.
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    Mont St-Sauveur in the Laurentians opened a few times in October over the last decade. Off the top of my head, 2015, 2013, 2011...
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    My hunch is put Mount Snow on the list as well this year as a sleeper choice. I'm guessing, just like when Peak 1st installed all the fan guns now heading on a decade ago and they were the 1st area to open in VT that year as a way to tout their new firepower with the fanguns that they may just want to flex their newly enhanced snowmaking muscle that the West Lake Project gives them.....
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    DrJeff said:

My hunch is put Mount Snow on the list as well this year as a sleeper choice. I'm guessing, just like when Peak 1st installed all the fan guns now heading on a decade ago and they were the 1st area to open in VT that year as a way to tout their new firepower with the fanguns that they may just want to flex their newly enhanced snowmaking muscle that the West Lake Project gives them.....

That's a great point. I remember that being 07 or 08. The date if I am correct is November 12th. Best opening day conditions I can remember. The park staff put rails and features on Long John under the fan guns, not sure if we will ever see that again.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    The day was 11/10/07 and I was there as well. Here are some pictures.

Temps were at the very high end of marginal and they were running the fans to flex some muscle. 
    Mount Snow 11-10-2007 001.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Mount Snow 11-10-2007 006.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Mount Snow 11-10-2007 011.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Mount Snow 11-10-2007 012.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Mount Snow 11-10-2007 016.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    mtsnow123 said:

DrJeff said:

That's a great point. I remember that being 07 or 08. The date if I am correct is November 12th. Best opening day conditions I can remember. The park staff put rails and features on Long John under the fan guns, not sure if we will ever see that again.
    2007-8 was the first post-ASC years when Killington wasn't even on the radar.  Mt. Snow may open earlier than usual, but I'm still betting they will be 2 to 3 weeks behind Killington.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    This is openg day at Loon in 2013 on November 8th. They will go for an early Nov open, but only if the temps and forecast for a week out look good for several snowmaking windows. It was top to bottom off the gondola and East Basin double with thin cover and narrow sections in places. imageimage
    Screenshot_2017-08-23-12-08-42.png
    480 x 854 - 680K
    Screenshot_2017-08-23-12-08-29.png
    854 x 480 - 584K
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Don't count out Cataloochee  :D

I saw BW mentioned above, they've had a couple of one-off early openings, unexpectedly open some pancake flat ribbon of snow for a day and then shut down just as quickly, and stay shut down for a while.  Doesn't get much publicity.

In 2014 they opened November 10, just a couple days after KMart & the Riv

In 2006 Sugarloaf was first although Woodbury "opened"  earlier
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    I was working at Cataloochee when they were open for Halloween a few years back, 2007 perhaps.  They have consistantly tried to get open in early November, even if just for bragging rights.
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    The base of Cat is about 4660' and I have also skied there on Easter.  Sugar will compete.  App has already set their opening day as Nov 17.  Skipro77 - what were you doing down here ?
    Cataloochie actually was first to open (or close to it) a few seasons ago.  But in my "New England elitism". I skipped over the Dixie ski areas. :-)
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    newpylong said:

The day was 11/10/07 and I was there as well. Here are some pictures.

Temps were at the very high end of marginal and they were running the fans to flex some muscle. 
    Wow those photos bring back some memories! The Summit Local, before the Bluebird Express.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    No doubt Mt Snow will show off the new water supply. Not sure how much earlier they'll go for it, but I am sure that when they do it will be full on and maxed out on the new water supply.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    I also don't think they will fight for first to open but when they do open the acreage will be much higher than in the past. North Face run, couple down the front plus Long John and Carinthia. All the water in the world is not going to change elevation or weather in So. Vt.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Remski said:

Last Fall I e-mailed Cannon asking if they were going to open early with all that new snowmaking power. The answer was that they were too busy getting all that snowmaking on the mountain to do it last season but they will revisit the possibility for the Fall of 2017 by doing something like they did in Oct. 1989. So we will just have to wait and see. Personally I hope they do it, because the terrain they opened back then is a lot more fun than what the others have offered.

I'd be really surprised if Cannon went for it despite the fact that they have one of if not the best early season setup in New England with the tram and upper mountain lift. 

Whether or not they go early or not, it would make a lot of sense for them both regarding expansion and long term finances to start up top and work down. The higher elevation means less snow loss during a warm up and better snow making opportunities when it is marginal. They could blow out a route or two up top and expand downward to the Peabody once they have a good window.

Operationally, it might be challenging for them to operate all services from Tramside. And operating the tram and the Cannonball for just one or two runs isn't cheap. But it makes all the sense in the world from a snow making perspective and also marketing (both running the tram ASAP and also getting top to bottom sooner, Cannon is usually the last in NH to go top to bottom).

I don't see any other major area competing with Killington and Sunday River for serious early opening honors. Wildcat has the fire power now but they need to get lucky with top to bottom snowmaking. 2k base helps but isn't as good as K or SR which need to blow far less terrain higher up in elevation. Mount Snow and Okemo would be very weather dependent regardless of if they might be interested or not. 
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    I'm wondering if Cannon will go for real early snowmaking to attract some of the international ski teams for practice before the World Cup at Killington. I think that Profile would make a great slalom practice slope and Tramway might be a contender for some GS practice.
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    pagamony said:

The base of Cat is about 4660' and I have also skied there on Easter.  Sugar will compete.  App has already set their opening day as Nov 17.  Skipro77 - what were you doing down here ?

I was the ski school director there from '78-'88 and again from '96-2009.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    skipro77 said:

I was working at Cataloochee when they were open for Halloween a few years back, 2007 perhaps.  They have consistantly tried to get open in early November, even if just for bragging rights.

That's quite possible, in 2007 I wrote that Sunday River opened on Halloween day then closed,  Cataloochee maybe did the same?    Either way, Cataloochee and Sugar opened for real on November 7th  (Sugar beating Cat by a couple hours)   Woodbury opened and the Riv reopened on the 8th, Sugarloaf on the 9th. A lot of areas started snowmaking early that year and the first week of December was awesome -- then it went bad when the weather shifted -- really bad.