The amazing affordability of Quebec skiing

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 150
I've been looking into a ski trip for January, to do something different for my 40th birthday. Last few years we've taken cruises and it's time to return to a ski trip.

I've skied in Quebec 3 times before - at the lost Mont Joye, at Owl's Head, and at Bromont. Enjoyed all 3. I have never been to the Laurentians before. I wrote an article last month for Skiing History Magazine on Pierre Dumas' effort to document all of Quebec's ski areas, past and present, and it got me thinking to take a trip there. It's less than 4 hours from my house, almost all on highways.

I did some research on where is the best place to stay, and settled on St. Sauveur. There are 18 alpine areas within 1 hour! About 10 of them are within 35 minutes and 5 within 10 minutes. It's a ski area buffet!

Yes, most areas are in 350-700' vertical, but many are quite long, like Mt. Blanc and St. Sauveur, and there are large areas like Tremblant of course.

Which brings me to affordability - on Airbnb, we got a condo (just for us, no sharing with the owner) directly across from St. Sauveur (3 min walk to base lodge) for $450 for a 1 bedroom - for 7 nights, 8 days! That's nearly impossible in the US. There are lots of other great rentals - some large, new resort homes can be found for $130/night for places with 6 bedrooms!

Lift tickets, if one is flexible skiing midweek, range from $15 at La Reserve ($12 US) to $20 ($16 US) at Belle Neige on their "Mustache Thursdays"  (Mens day). Even at St. Sauveur or Mt. Blanc it is about $40 US for a full day.

The hardest part is picking what areas to go to - do I go to ones for history, for price, or to check off distant areas off the bucket list? Too many to choose and I could spend 3 weeks there and not do the same one twice. Tremblant is on the must visit, as is St. Sauveur, and likely Vallee Bleue, Belle Neige, Morin Heights, Olympia, Mont Sauvage (former lost T-bar area), and Habitant (next to St. Sauveur).

Have you been to these areas? Any suggestions?

Comments

• jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    If you do go you might want to try to pick up a Quebec Ski Passport...

They go on sale on Oct 2nd and the online ones seem to sell quickly.  After that you can buy them at the Sports Experts shops (they're a large chain).  The catch is it seems you may need an Ontario, Quebec or New Brunswick address to buy online or register it (at least you did last year).  I had a friend pick up a couple for me last year and they worked great.  They're supposed to only work once a day.  But it also worked the same day for night skiing about 1/2 the time.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited September 8 Posts: 1,378
    Where's Mad Pat when you need him
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I had a wedding a long time ago in St Jovite. When I walked into the hotel we were staying at, behind the desk was a "Lederhosen Ski Club" of Buffalo plaque. I asked my dad about it and he told me that the club (of which he was a member) would take an annual ski trip to Quebec to ski those resorts and areas outside of Tremblant. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    jaytrem said:

If you do go you might want to try to pick up a Quebec Ski Passport...

They go on sale on Oct 2nd and the online ones seem to sell quickly.  After that you can buy them at the Sports Experts shops (they're a large chain).  The catch is it seems you may need an Ontario, Quebec or New Brunswick address to buy online or register it (at least you did last year).  I had a friend pick up a couple for me last year and they worked great.  They're supposed to only work once a day.  But it also worked the same day for night skiing about 1/2 the time.
    I tried to snag one of these passports a while ago for a trip to Quebec's Eastern Townships, and then I tried a year later.  Both times I ran into "the catch" that jaytrem identified: the requirement to have an address in ON, QC or NB.  

I wrote to the email contact address listed on the website but received no reply.  I tried again last week and will post the answer ... if I receive one.  
    :x

Woody