Mt. Snow EB-5

2»

Comments

• mapnutmapnut expert
    I'm more than happy to ride a fixed-grip lift with no line when there's over a 5-minute line on the high-speed. That certainly applies to the Sundance, but I've only ridden it twice because all the other times it hasn't been running - and all those were on weekends!
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Having many HSQ's spread out over a wide base area should help reduce lines everywhere on busy weekends and holidays. Its up to the likes of us to figure out the best parking, boot up spots, loading places and powder/corduroy stashes and then keep them secret.

With 500 housing units at Sundance it is in everyone's best interest to give them a great experience out the door.
    Dropped by Mount Snow yesterday, Friday the 13th. Carinthia base area had a lot of 'stuff' &  vehicles spread around the parking lots. They should be able to clean it up for parking this winter. The new base lodge is coming along, it looks like much of the first level concrete work is done. They should be able to grade around it before the lifts open. Handle Road is all freshly paved, there is virtually no sign that a 24" pipe was installed... very neat work.

The new pump building at Carinthia looks attractive. Its in a New England barn motif and just needs a few cows mulling around to complete the image. There are still some pipes lying about; mostly it looks like snowmaking readiness is  complete with some clean-up remaining.

From the summit there were only limited views of Long John. What I could see had been graded, seeded, had new grass growing and was lined with new snow towers. It is definitely wide enough to get around slower skiers and groups now.

Leaf colors are getting more muted from the top but are holding on lower down. Strange fall there are still a lot of green maples lower down.

About 40 days from hoped for opening day things look pretty good. 
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    I wasn't able to copy and paste this 11/6 Brattleboro newspaper, but here's the "link". (I don't know how to literally link.)

Here's Snow's article, the link includes a video:

West Lake and beyond: A summer of updates and upgrades.

Friday, November 3, 2017

As anyone who visited the mountain this summer can attest, it has been a hive of activity from our new snowmaking lake down the road in Wilmington, to both base areas, and all the way to the summit! With so many updates and upgrades on and around the mountain, we wanted to take a moment and spell everything out for you before we start spinning lifts for the winter.

First off, we’ll let Brendan Ryan, the director of projects at Peak Resorts spell it all out for us.

As Brendan said, we’re finishing up our West Lake Snowmaking Project, giving Mount Snow the most powerful snowmaking system in the Northeast. At the same time, we’ve also widened Long John, our popular beginner trail off the summit, to provide a better experience both for beginners looking to explore, and skiers accessing the Main Face and Carinthia.

As if that wasn’t enough, we purchased 220 new snowguns that feature industry-leading low-e technology. This has taken our entire fleet of 948 snowguns to 100% low-e technology, allowing us to make more snow than ever, all while using less energy.

But wait, there’s more! In a continuing effort to improve our grooming abilities, we’ve purchased three new snowcats from PistenBully. Each snowcat has its own special job to do this winter that it is uniquely suited for. The Park Pro model will help craft and shape features over at Carinthia Parks, the #1 park in the East according to Newschoolers.com and Transworld Snowboarding. The new 600 will ensure we continue to lay down that pristine corduroy you’ve all come to expect from us each and every night, while the new 600 Winch will allow us to better groom the steeps, such as everyone’s favorite Ripcord!

Along with these major projects, our amazing team has completed 100+ other updates and upgrades over the summer, from a refresh and remodel of Naturespa in the Grand Summit Hotel, to a new deck outside of Cuzzins for us all to meet at and get our après on!

Now let’s take a moment and break it down by the numbers:

$30 million: The amount spent on building the most powerful snowmaking system in the Northeast.

6x: The increase in water storage thanks to our new snowmaking “pond” West Lake.

2x: Increase in pumping capacity for snowmaking, allowing us to open more trails faster than ever before.

220: Brand new snowguns purchased, all featuring low-e technology.

100%: Low-e technology across our entire fleet of snowguns, allowing us to make more snow while using less power.

948: Total snowguns at Mount Snow, including the largest fleet of fan guns in North America.

65 feet: Average width added to Long John.

3: New snowcats purchased from PistenBully.

$22 million: Invested in building our new lodge at the Carinthia Base Area, which will open for the 2018/19 season.

42,000 square feet: Size of the new lodge at Carinthia Base Area.

100: Number of capital improvements completed this summer to our facilities on and off the mountain to make for a better guest experience.

• newmannewman advanced
    Did all 220 new guns go to North Face? I thought that was still all air water ground guns on that side?
    newman said:

Did all 220 new guns go to North Face? I thought that was still all air water ground guns on that side?

The video does show them installing 'air' tower guns on the North Face but I don't know the direct answer. 
  • newmannewman advanced
    Permanent guns will make things easier and faster for the ops crews, at least, on those steeps. I think at least one NF run around opening time makes a huge difference. I wouldn't go there if ten runs were open on the front, but not one on the NF. I miss the days when Fteefall was the first snowmaking effert on the entire hill.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    newman said:

Permanent guns will make things easier and faster for the ops crews, at least, on those steeps. I think at least one NF run around opening time makes a huge difference. I wouldn't go there if ten runs were open on the front, but not one on the NF. I miss the days when Fteefall was the first snowmaking effert on the entire hill.

I agree. NF breaks up some of the crowds. I remember sometime in the mid 2000s where Canyon Express was used for uploading/downloading and the only lift with ski on/off was on the Northface. A loop down Canyon to River Run and I think Freefall was open first, maybe Chute?
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The 220 new snowguns they got this year are all low-e HKD's - mainly tower mounted Phazer's with some sled mounted guns.

They removed all of the ratnik "mid-e" air water guns (both tower and ground rats) that had been used mainly near the immediate summit area the last few seasons. The increased pumping capacity and pressure will alow then now to run the HKD's effectively in the summit area, and the HKD's are more efficient in air use than the Ratniks were. Hence the change.

All of Mount Snow's snowgun fleet are now considered low-e, but all of their snowgun fleet AREN'T fan guns. The press release is a bit confusing on this
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited November 6 Posts: 582
    They did not get Phazers, those are very specialized guns used for narrow applications and are only sled or tripod mounted. The pictures I saw showed Impulse R5 units, they can be tower or sled/tripod mounted (as Vipers). Essentially an Impulse with 5 stages.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    From what I recall seeing last year almost all of the non low-e guns were on NF and Sun Brook.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    newpylong said:

They did not get Phazers, those are very specialized guns used for narrow applications and are only sled or tripod mounted. The pictures I saw showed Impulse R5 units, they can be tower or sled/tripod mounted (as Vipers). Essentially an Impulse with 5 stages.

My partial bad with mixing up HKD's products. They did though get some tripod mounted phazers in the order, as readily seen in one of their recent FB posts with a snowmaker with a hose over his shoulder and an obvious orange HKD on a tripod near the top of Fallen Timbers/Chute.

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    Jeff that is not a Phazer in that picture, it is a Viper tripod. As mentioned the Phazer is a specialized gun for narrow coverage, Mount Snow has little need for them. Check out the HKD page, the Phazer is the one gun that looks nothing like the others as it has only one vertical band of nozzles. It does not send snow to the sides at all.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    newpylong said:

Jeff that is not a Phazer in that picture, it is a Viper tripod. As mentioned the Phazer is a specialized gun for narrow coverage, Mount Snow has little need for them. Check out the HKD page, the Phazer is the one gun that looks nothing like the others as it has only one vertical band of nozzles. It does not send snow to the sides at all.

My bad on the picture ID. As for the Phazer, that info came straight from one of my friends on the snowmaking crew, as when they got rid of the ground fleet of HKD's this summer, apparently there were a few narrow sections of trails they ordered some phazers for??  I'll keep an eye out for them on the hill in the coming weeks to see if what he said was legit, or if it was a few PBR's talking instead!  ;))
    edited November 17 Posts: 273

Peak Resorts today issued a press release with a number of interesting details.

• Their request for a company specific EB-5 center has been approved. This allows them to proceed with the planned rollout of the Mount Snow Master plan with less regulatory uncertainty. The center should be able process EB-5 financing for ALL Northeast Peak locations (based on what was presented at the Analysts meeting early this year) providing a much lower cost source of capitol for on-going projects.
    • Also mentioned that Mount Snow is aiming for 200 acres of skiing for the Thanksgiving weekend. This suggests they have continued to make and Whalehouse snow against colder weather later in the week. That would be about 20 trails! 
    • Hunter Mountain is opening next Tuesday.

• The Carinthia Parking lot is now open but the lodge is not yet apparently.

Link to full article/filing:

This is mostly about Mt. Snow, at the end there is reference to Hunter.

ropeways.net | Home | 2017-11-27

Peak Resorts Receives Approval for New EB-5 Regional Center

Regional Center Designation Permits Peak Resorts to Participate in the EB-5 Program

Announces Plans to Have Four Northeast Resorts Operating for Thanksgiving Holiday

WILDWOOD, Mo., Nov --  Peak Resorts, Inc. announced that United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) has approved the Company’s proposed Great North Regional Center, a new privately managed regional center, which will serve as Peak’s exclusive EB-5 investment sponsor for projects at its Northeast resorts. The approval is effective immediately.

Timothy D. Boyd, President and Chief Executive Officer of Peak Resorts, commented, “We are delighted that USCIS has approved our new regional center, which will allow Peak Resorts to continue to pursue job creating, transformative economic development projects at our key Northeast resorts. The Great North Regional Center is a central piece of our growth strategy and will provide us with enhanced control and strategic oversight as we commence phase two of our development at Mount Snow as well as for future projects. With this approval from USCIS, Peak and its EB-5 investment partners can now move forward with greater long-term visibility and be far more effective in putting our partners’ capital to use as we grow our business and work to deliver increased shareholder value.”

The successful completion of the $30 million EB-5 funded West Lake Water Project and related snowmaking infrastructure at Mount Snow during the summer has set the stage for very favorable early season conditions, including the most open terrain in the Northeast. Guests at Mount Snow are currently enjoying top-to-bottom skiing and riding on 11 trails across 112 acres, including 14 features at Carinthia. Mount Snow’s snowmaking system is now the Northeast’s most powerful allowing the Company to open terrain faster and earlier than ever before.

“Our ability to open Mount Snow for the 2017/2018 ski season on November 11 clearly highlights the capabilities made possible by our incredible EB-5 backed West Lake infrastructure investment and our ability to deliver an elevated guest experience like never before,” added Mr. Boyd. “Skiers and riders have raved about the early season conditions, and we have had very strong visitation to date. We are now working to expand our available terrain and hope to have more of the mountain open for the Thanksgiving weekend.”

As skiing and riding are now underway at Mount Snow, capital investments continue to progress with construction of the new $22 million Carinthia base lodge expected to be completed for the 2018/2019 ski season. Peak is also working towards phase two of the Carinthia project, which will include the construction of 102 ski-in/ski-out residential units around the new base lodge, marking a significant expansion of lodging capacity at Mount Snow. Furthermore, the regulatory process for the Company’s proposed $9 million terrain expansion at Hunter Mountain is underway. The Company expects this expansion of skiable terrain by 25-30% to be completed in time for the 2018/2019 ski season subject to the receipt of required regulatory approvals.