First significant snow of the season?

ski_itski_it expert
edited September 13 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,653

In case you are living under a rock, the first significant(as defined by me) snow fall of the season(as defined by Joshua) is forecasted for this Friday & Saturday in the northern Rockies.

"Accumulation of snow is expected generally above 6,000 feet, with the higher mountain peaks picking up 1 to 2 feet of snow through Saturday.

Winter storm watches and winter weather advisories have been issued for portions of western Montana, the first of the season here."

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Maybe it will put out some of the fires in Montana. Glad we went through glacier last year
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    we need it to put out the fires.

• spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

If anyone wants to see where the Austrian and German National Teams are getting ready for Solden, check out the Molltaler Glacier website: www.gletscher.co.at . Their webcams have the ability to zoom in, and backtrack, to previous dates and times. The Glacier Panorama webcam from 5:00AM this morning has a great shot of their snowmaking system in action. At 10:00AM, when zoomed in, you can see GS gates up high and SL stubbies lower down. There are lots of powder turn tracks to see off the groomed areas, as well. I know it is not significant snowfall in the U.S., but it is fun to see, just the same.

I have been visiting this site for over a year, and it is fun to see the changing of the seasons and snowpack levels, from Winter, Spring, Summer, and into the current Fall. Unfortunately, the ability to click onto the prior year has not worked for some time now.    

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

In case you are living under a rock, the first significant(as defined by me) snow fall of the season(as defined by Joshua) is forecasted for this Friday & Saturday in the northern Rockies.

I don't remember defining this (although it sounds like something I might have done).  Remind me what I said!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    "Aug. 8 - The Transition to 2017-8"
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

I think I got it:  So you're suggesting that the 2017-8 season starts with the first significant snowfall whereas I stated we were closer to the 2017-8 season than the 2016-7 season.
  • Stan51Stan51 novice

A 30 plus degree temp drop from two days ago (80s) to today (low 50s in Missoula today).  Wx radar reports snow up at Montana Snowbowl this evening, rain here in the valley.  Another cold wet precipitation event on tap for next week.  Hopefully, this will put an end to what has been a nasty wildfire season.  

It has been so dry that it has taken almost 24 hours for upper air precipitation to moisten the atmosphere sufficiently to actually rain on the ground!
    Still haven't seen the rain in Spokane.  A record 75+ days and counting.  Maybe wet by Sunday.....the high today was in the pleasant 60's / but the fire smoke returned......
  • obienickobienick expert
    Question for nelsap or anyone in the know...

How are the rain/sleet/snow lines produced on doplar radar? Can instruments see a reflectivity difference as the reflectivity of snow and water would vary? Or is it just a guesstimate based on interpolation of temperatures recorded at various weather stations?
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    flbski said:

Still haven't seen the rain in Spokane.  A record 75+ days and counting.  Maybe wet by Sunday.....the high today was in the pleasant 60's / but the fire smoke returned......

Flbski- why didn't you buy me a beer when I was in your neck of the woods I was in Coeur deLane last year after I came down from Sandpoint
    Or I coulda bought
    good idea ciscokid - I do have a lot of medical issues and am sometimes out of it.
  • Stan51Stan51 novice
    I generally use Intellicast for wx radar observations.  I don't know for sure, but I believe that they use some form of interpolation from temperature readings.  The rain/mixed/snow colors seem to follow elevation contours.  NOAA wx site radar does not distinguish between precipitation types, so I don't believe that there is an identifiable difference in reflectivity between rain and snow.

Intellicast is being phased out and replaced by Storm, but I haven't done a side by side comparison between them.  I do know from observation that Intellicast may indicate precipitation where there is just virga (precipitation that evaporates before it reaches the ground).  They get their data from NOAA, but may interpret it a bit differently.

In any event, it looks like there is extensive mountain snowfall happening here in western Montana. It is too early to stick around, but it should start to tamp down on the fires.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited September 16 Posts: 1,653

ski_it said:

I think I got it:  So you're suggesting that the 2017-8 season starts with the first significant snowfall whereas I stated we were closer to the 2017-8 season than the 2016-7 season.
    Nope, I'm suggesting the season starts Aug 8th as opposed to what some might say is when a ski area first opens in the fall.
    Big fluffy snowflakes here:
    http://www.krtv.com/story/36377111/snow-falling-at-higher-elevations-in-montana-video

https://bigskyresort.com/the-mountain/webcams/everetts-8800-cam#sm.0001nt5w7ci9weujuj11d617ltulv