Saddleback aims to open

2»

Comments

• RemskiRemski advanced
    Really liking all the positive comments coming in on Saddleback. This by far is my most favorite ski area in the eastern U.S. if not the entire Western Atlantic coast!
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

I didn’t see the last two sentences (below) on Saddleback’s
    Facebook that Peter of Liftblog quotes. It would have been ambitious even if
    they began replacement of both lifts at the beginning of the summer.

• Saddleback begins removal of the Rangeley double in preparation for its replacement.  The Cupsuptic T-Bar will now be repaired rather than
      replaced, providing access to the Kennebago quad until Rangeley is
      complete.  “The scope of this project is partially what drove the
      decision to repair versus replace the T-Bar,” Saddleback says.  “If
      we had replaced both, there is a chance that there would not be any skiing
      this year if early snow arrived.”

https://liftblog.com/

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    newpylong said:

TomWhite said:

TomWhite said:

Have we ever heard what is wrong with the Rangeley?

Pretty much everything from towers to tower footings.  That lift dates to 1963 and these things do wear not last forever.  Even the MRG single cost more to when it was restored about a decade ago than it would have cost to replace it with a modern lift.  The Rangeley Double just doesn't have that kind of pedigree to make it worthwhile to preserve/restore.
    Thanks, that makes sense. What surprises me is that some resorts seem content with 60's chairs. Smuggs' Madonna I and Sterling come to mind.
    Smuggler's is an oddball case.  Have you ever noticed the towers on M1?  I was told that it was a particularly complex design where extra towers had to be added afterwards to deal with some unanticipated wind problems. My guess is the replacement cost for that lift would be prohibitive, both because of its length (about 9K feet) and its topography.  I'd bet on at least $8M to replace it with an FGQ.

I hope we have a Smuggler's expert on SJ who might be able to elaborate more.
    Likely closer to $4M. Still not cheap, that is a very long lift.
    I think the complexity of the terrain will make it much more expensive - and double the price if they go HSQ.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Still curious as to why there is no mention of any updates regarding Saddleback on Sugarloaftoday. There are a lot of locals on that website that ski Saddleback. I think the purchase did not go through yet.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    sugarloaf said:

Still curious as to why there is no mention of any updates regarding Saddleback on Sugarloaftoday. There are a lot of locals on that website that ski Saddleback. I think the purchase did not go through yet.

You are right.  It has been mentioned before on this thread.  And this one you can look easily enough. Real estate transactions are a matter of public record.

At a meet-and-greet with the SB condo owners last Sunday, the CEO said they would be closing at the end of this month (Sept. 2017).  But similar has been stated before about other months that have come and gone.
    edited September 23 Posts: 759
    The other end of the spectrum is that there has been NO discussion on SugarloafToday at all, good or bad regarding Saddleback since July. One would think there would be something to talk about. Maybe the locals are tired of the waiting game for the sale to go through.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• PeterPeter intermediate
    sugarloaf said:

The other end of the spectrum is that there has been NO discussion on SugarloafToday at all, good or bad regarding Saddleback since July. One would think there would be something to talk about. Maybe the locals are tired of the waiting game for the sale to go through.

Lively discussion under ‘Other Maine Mountains.
    http://www.sugarloaftoday.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8317&start=90
    Peter said:

sugarloaf said:

Lively discussion under ‘Other Maine Mountains.
    http://www.sugarloaftoday.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8317&start=90
    Thanks, I did not realize the discussion had been moved.

edited September 28 Posts: 759
    No new posts on SugarloafToday in a week tells me the purchase deal is likely stalled.