Comments

• LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    ...and then Indian Summer will arrive. We call it a wake up call - time to finish your summer maintenance!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Blowing the mice out...love it
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
     I see that A-Basin is blowing all the way to their bottom, but Loveland is not. DIdn't Loveland open weeks later than A-Basin because they didn't end up having the colder temperatures at the base to blow later on?
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    mtsnow123 said:

I see that A-Basin is blowing all the way to their bottom, but Loveland is not.

I think Loveland has older or different snowmaking that requires the lower wet bulb or whatever it is.  Loveland has the regular guns, A-Basin fan guns?  Temps tend to be about the same at both -- but not always. They're both about the same base elevation (Loveland just slightly higher)  A lot of years they open same day

Another problem for Loveland is their WROD is about 2,000' longer than A-Basin's, and seems they always start up high and work their way down. 
    mtsnow123 said:

DIdn't Loveland open weeks later than A-Basin because they didn't end up having the colder temperatures at the base to blow later on?

Yes last year they got hurt by a warm spell.  Both of them started blowing in earnest on Oct 5th.  Loveland made lots of snow up high and by the time they moved down, temps went up.  A-Basin opened Oct 21, although things got real squirrely.  Cold finally came back Nov 1 and Loveland  opened on the 9th
    Big early season storm for a lot of Colorado resorts. Steamboat with around 20", Loveland and A-Basin got a little over a foot. The temperatures are still around freezing, and no power today due to the heavy wet snow doesn't aid for snowmaking. It looks like a decent base to start blowing on top of.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Beautiful shot from A Basin this morning...

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    A-Basin 171003.jpg
    713 x 372 - 74K
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Next week is my guess......
    Timberline will be the first to open for the season on Saturday!

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/10/04/oregon-ski-area-will-open-this-saturday/
    - Sam
    After more snow fall and more than 36 hours straight of snowmaking (temperatures getting into single digits), A-Basin could be opening soon.
  • alb409alb409 novice
    A Basin opens Friday.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    JMaul said:

Beautiful shot from A Basin this morning...

Nice shot j maul
    The basin is open!
    I have been dejected ever since I found out your wife hates me

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Arapahoe Basin is up to 2 runs with the opening of Ramrod. Not bad for October 17th.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

and Loveland doesn't even have enough snow at the base area to open.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Last few years Loveland has basically given up at opening early.  They've been splitting their snowmaking operations between the main opening route of Catwalk --> Mabo --> Home Run and Loveland Valley which is rented out to ski teams.  They never used to do this and instead opened Loveland Valley after the ski area opened.

They do keep their PR machine alive and people eat it up that they are racing for first.  But actions speak louder than words.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Loveland opens Friday, claims they'll have 18" base tree-to-tree on the home run route.  this is all good news