Song Mt Thunderbird Hall t-bar is no more.

Comments

I should add: Labrador and Song are both jointly owned, hence the link to Lab.

That being said, I’m curious the make of the new lift...or if it’s a reconditioned one.

I was shocked to learn the news. That t-bar was a great lift. I’m sorry to see it go.

IBRAKE
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Yea but several new tbars in NE!
    I don't know why but I just love this 1964 Sugarloaf Maine 7 minute vid with lots of tbar footage. Saw it before but love it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LuOBVaB3b8g
  • PeterPeter intermediate
    It looks used to me.  Also curious where it is coming from.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    edited October 1 Posts: 217
    The T-bar unfortunately was not running a few years ago when I skied Song on a midweek day in late February. I had the mountain to myself and was literally the only skier in the base lodge when I arrived at 830. It was a fun mountain - some interesting, quirky trails and it skied a bit bigger than its 600' vertical would suggest.

The old Gunshy Double from Gunstock now operates at Song, with the exact same name, which I found rather interesting. Has their ever been another moved lift that used the same name at two mountains?
    NELSAP said:

The T-bar unfortunately was not running a few years ago when I skied Song on a midweek day in late February. I had the mountain to myself and was literally the only skier in the base lodge when I arrived at 830. It was a fun mountain - some interesting, quirky trails and it skied a bit bigger than its 600' vertical would suggest.

The old Gunshy Double from Gunstock now operates at Song, with the exact same name, which I found rather interesting. Has their ever been another moved lift that used the same name at two mountains?

I spent many a Monday evening in ski club at Song back in the 80s. It’s trail network is fantastic. Much more character and challenge than Labrador. Excellent intermediate and expert skiing.

That being said the Thunderbird T was seldom run. No idea why. It was the best way to access the expert runs Otto’s Folly and the even steeper Jupiter.

Maybe the lift just wasn’t properly maintained and had simply worn out beyond the point of usefulness.

I’m suspecting, rather, that snowboarders complained enough about difficulties riding a t-bar versus having a chairlift that a lift replacement was the best long term solution. Some years ago their bunny hill j-bar was replaced with a used double chair.

IBRAKE
  • Ski1963Ski1963 novice
    edited October 1 Posts: 2
    I rarely post but Song Mountain brings back special memories.

I spent many seasons skiing at Song as a kid driving from Geneva.

I took my daughter there a few years ago hoping to have her ride the Thunderbird T-bar.; She was 25 and had skied since she was 3. She had never ridden a surface lift. Unfortunately the T-Bar was closed on a Saturday so I had her ride the J-Bar for the "surface experience".  

What a great ski area!!

Season 54 starts for me soon.
  • edited October 9 Posts: 988
    So it turns out that the incoming chairlift is a Riblet from Giants Ridge in MN. They took down a double and a triple, both Riblets, in favour of new quads (detachable, I believe.) I’ll find out which of the two it is that Song bought and is installing.

Here’s hoping it’s the Sarajevo triple and that they retain its name! :D

IBRAKE
    Just got it confirmed: it’s the Sarajevo triple that’s being installed at Song. It’s a 1997 Riblet triple.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they got the lift for a song. :D
    Or a dance⛷⛷⛷