Hideous Lodges in the Northeast

rickbolgerrickbolger expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,120
The currently active Belleayre thread and all the comings and goings of ORDA got me thinking about what sort of things they will do to Belleayre's lodges, which are rather nice IMHO.  They've done a nice job with the new lodges at Gore and Whiteface, so hopefully will have a similar approach.   Then I was thinking about the old, main base lodges at Gore and WF, which are rather ghastly IMHO.

Knowing that we've done this before, but I don't think on 2.0?  How about the most horrifying architectural monstrosities in the northeast?

Here are mine:

Whiteface Main Lodge,  

2  Gore Main Lodge although Whiteface wins by a huge margin

3. The Bolton Valley Gulag-esque base village is a perennial fave
4. Stratton's shopping mall and parking garage complex 

5  Cannon Peabody (tie) although very functional internally, the exterior is really grim.  Almost makes Bolton Valley look quaint

Wildcat's new lodge has zero charm internally, but at least looks semi-attractive from the exterior.

There's one at Sunday River I thought should be condemned but I don't remember which lodge

Comments

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    I wouldn't class it as one of the most horrifying architectural monstrosities in the northeast, but the base lodge at Crotched doesn't look like a ski lodge when you first see it. At least it didn't to me. Instead it looked like a state highway department maintenance building and garage. However, inside it's quite nice. The times I've been there it wasn't crowded and it was attractive, comfortable, roomy and very pleasant.
  • tededetedede advanced
    edited October 5 Posts: 137
    Bill29 said:

I wouldn't class it as one of the most horrifying architectural monstrosities in the northeast, but the base lodge at Crotched doesn't look like a ski lodge when you first see it. At least it didn't to me. Instead it looked like a state highway department maintenance building and garage. However, inside it's quite nice. The times I've been there it wasn't crowded and it was attractive, comfortable, roomy and very pleasant.

Crotched's lodge was designed to go up quickly and economically, and in the event of failure be able to be repurposed elsewhere.  I believe it's lifespan is considered finite so perhaps we may see something better in the future.

Having been to Whiteface, I don't see how it could outrank the any of the charmless lodges at Cannon.

Pat's Peak, Gunstock, and Bretton Woods are my favorite lodges, but given a free pass to any of them I'd still stick with Crotched.

Full disclaimer: I patrol at Crotched.
  • newmannewman advanced
    The upper base lodge built on the late 80s at Haystack looked like a county jail, or a Salvation Army faculty.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Awww, I like the Cannon lodges. They have an old school aesthetic. 

I didn't know Wildcat got a new lodge, their old lodge is normally a topper on this type of list. I never minded it though.

Crotched takes the cake for functional but doesn't look like a ski lodge.

Bolton's lodge definitely belongs on this list, not even very functional inside, hard to navigate. 

Waterville's lodge is a bit run down. But what isn't run down at Waterville?

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Is the Saddle Lodge still at Gore? I remember that one was pretty heinous. 

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Just recently all the same pics I had been uploading here are suddenly too big. Something changed , not my pics, now what do I do?

Admin?
    While it is an amazing ski area and is a decent lodge as far as the skier is concerned, the main lodge at Abram is probably the least creative and most basic in the Northeast at a major ski area from an architectural standpoint.
    - Sam
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    Crotched is as hideous as they come architecturally. Functionally, it's great though! 
  • xlr8rxlr8r intermediate
    Pemi Base hut at Loon is pretty bad as it is a temporary tent structure that has been there for 10 years now

K1 at Killington is just sad looking these days, need to bulldoze and rebuild from scratch.

Spruce Lodge at Sunapee, is very tired looking and always overcrowded on weekends.  

Crotched is just a metal box, but nice inside.  If Loon plans to keep their tent at Pemi Base, I do not see why Crotched can't keep this lodge for a awhile going forward.

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    Although it's gone, can anything ever top the bubble tent base lodge at Vernon Valley/MC? It was supposed to be temporary, but lasted 13 years, so I think it deserves consideration.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited October 6 Posts: 1,120
    tedede said:

Having been to Whiteface, I don't see how it could outrank the any of the charmless lodges at Cannon.

At least at Cannon you have plenty of room downstairs, good cubbys, good restrooms.  Whiteface has staircases or half stairs to go anywhere, and when you get there, there is no room to do anything.  Even the lounge is packed to the gills.  Plus the little wine restaurant thing is one of the most poorly run eateries I've ever visited.  The drop off area is chaotic

It's like Stratton, and K1 as mentioned above,  started off as a nice lodge with an appropriate aesthetic (I'm not sure if this is part of Whiteface or not anymore, or gone, or repurposed, or what)

Has been added to, had stuff shoehorned on, until it is now a sprawling jumble, and the inside is just as bad.

• z1000307470z1000307470 advanced

Is the Saddle Lodge still at Gore? I remember that one was pretty heinous. 

The Saddle Lodge was renovated about 10 years ago. This summer they are completely rebuilding and enlarging it. Gore is also converting the old summit gondola building to a warming hut with no water toilets. There have only been outhouses at the top of Gore.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced
    As for a bad base lodge - Hunter's is pretty ugly.

• spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

I am surprised that the Hunter Mountain 'Castle in the Clouds', summit lodge, has yet to get a mention. We always joked that it was there for the Slutsky family to hunker down in, if the 'Big One' should occur.

But seriously, as ugly as it is, it's fortified design has allowed it to survive the many over 100 MPH wind events that have crossed it's path.  Those little windows would rattle some, and the sound inside was pretty ominous, but the building would never shake. We were always safe in there, during 'Wind Hold' events.                                                                                                                                                            

• frozenforeverfrozenforever novice
    I dislike the look of Windham's main base lodge.  Doesn't feel like a ski lodge, feels like some 1980s conference center. 

Never been crazy about Mount Snow's summit lodge either.  Sure, has great big windows, but the main floor just feels cramped and poorly laid out.  Though the bar upstairs is nicer.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited October 7 Posts: 256

While it is an amazing ski area and is a decent lodge as far as the skier is concerned, the main lodge at Abram is probably the least creative and most basic in the Northeast at a major ski area from an architectural standpoint.

Their old lodge would have made the hideous list. The old lodge burned down (lightening strike I think?) and the new lodge looks like a temporary structure that seems to have become permanent. I think they actually did a pretty good job with it all things considered, they certainly didn't have much for funds and it was an unplanned expense.
    Love the glory daysimageimage
    IMG_2589.JPG
    429 x 294 - 64K
    IMG_0009.JPG
    3296 x 1854 - 373K
    IMG_0675.JPG
    299 x 191 - 26K
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Snow Ridge lodge is a dump, McCauley mountains lodge is tiny, and also in a terrible spot about 300 yards from parking lot they need to build a drop off turn around area and additional space.
    ~Rich~
    edited October 14 Posts: 1,487
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder than span the test of time

IMG_2725.JPG
    320 x 240 - 52K
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    ciscokid said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder than span the test of time

Does the group of people help or hurt the look of the lodge?

Definitely enhances
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Looks like the convent for the Flying Nun.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Remember when A frames were all the rage for housing at ski areas? Anyone here actually live or stay in one? They look very inefficient. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I've stayed at one on the lake at Saddleback. It had gorgeous views from both levels but seemed like a lot of wasted space as I recall.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    bmwskier said:

Remember when A frames were all the rage for housing at ski areas? Anyone here actually live or stay in one? They look very inefficient. 

There are a number of areas which have lodges which are essentially giant A-frames. Two that come to mind are Camden and Arrowhead.
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert

bmwskier said:

There are a number of areas which have lodges which are essentially giant A-frames. Two that come to mind are Camden and Arrowhead.
    For the minimal time I was in them, I liked both those lodges. Camden's especially. Right size for their resorts.
    Hijack
    Sundance at Mt Snow is kinda of an A frame and still beautiful IMHO.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • loafasaurloafasaur intermediate
    riverc0il said:

Their old lodge would have made the hideous list. The old lodge burned down (lightening strike I think?) and the new lodge looks like a temporary structure that seems to have become permanent. I think they actually did a pretty good job with it all things considered, they certainly didn't have much for funds and it was an unplanned expense.
    Awww.  The old lodge at Abram was Essence of New England Practical, with emphasis on bare pine and built-on-site picnic tables.  Though I might be prejudiced by seeing then-part-owner Stuart Cross creating window openings in the "addition" on the east end with a chainsaw, Winston casually hanging from the corner of his lip.  This was during a ski patrol first aid refresher on a fall Saturday.  Stuart was a major character.

The clincher on the old lodge was the Loose Boots Lounge upstairs, a great watering hole.

The new lodge was billed as temporary when it went up, but it's looking like it'll be permanent.  Worse things could happen to an indie mid-size New England ski area.  Good luck,Mt. Abram!
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Loose Boots Lounge is a great name for a watering hole. 
    Holiday Valley had  "the Broken Ski Pub" also known as the Rathskellar in the basement of the Middle Chalet before they tore it down. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    Bill29 said:

Looks like the convent for the Flying Nun.

Space cadets
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Seems as Whiteface is remodeling interior and exterior of their building. 

http://www.whiteface.com/side-trax/whiteface-mountain-upgrades
    ~Rich~