Hideous Lodges in the Northeast

2»

Comments

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    Was never a fan of Big Rock ME. Looks like an industrial building. 

Their lattice lift towers make up for it though.

pic from their fb page.

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    19665239_10155953721990934_1713758413788161242_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 110K
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    potato barn?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    It worse than it looks the top floor isn't open to the public IIRC.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

bmwskier said:

Remember when A frames were all the rage for housing at ski areas? Anyone here actually live or stay in one? They look very inefficient. 

There are a number of areas which have lodges which are essentially giant A-frames. Two that come to mind are Camden and Arrowhead.
    IMG_2786.JPG
    320 x 240 - 68K
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    JMaul said:

Was never a fan of Big Rock ME. Looks like an industrial building. 

Their lattice lift towers make up for it though.

pic from their fb page.

Was this repurposed from something else? There's nothing attractive about this box at all-- never mind about having anything to do with skiing. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 23 Posts: 1,741

If you're going to post pics of A-frames they should at least be half way decent... ;)

One of Arrowhead 2011_01_09 & 2 of Camden 2009_03_21 .imageimageimage

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    2011_01_09 Arrowhead (61).JPG
    2189 x 1642 - 593K
    Camden 03_21_2009 (13).JPG
    2189 x 1642 - 622K
    Camden 03_21_2009 (14).JPG
    2189 x 1642 - 651K
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Camden Snow Bowl used to have a master plan showing a new base lodge; I think they were going to retain the A-frame for some other use. I don't see it any more on their website. Sensible to put the money into a new summit lift, trails and snowmaking instead.
    I don't think those a-frames are hideous, but they did a rather ham-fisted job of installing doors.  

Arrowhead looks like they repurposed the doors from an old discount department store like Jamesway or Ames or one of those.  Today I guess it would be Marden's?  

Camden looks like they installed two outhouses on the front of the building.

Unfortunately these are examples of what happens when yankee ingenuity and yankee thrift combine to push art and beauty out of the decision making process.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I don't mind the look of an A frame-- kind of like a big, friendly tent. I was thinking more of use of interior space, windows and limitations of the shape of them based on the angle of the roof and the loss of basically two sides. One buried in snow would look awesome though. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 24 Posts: 1,741
    The one at Arrowhead is a fairly large A-frame. IDK the sq footage, but it's longer than it looks in that pic. There's also a 1st floor underneath with entrances on the side & back.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    I know it doesn't exactly qualify in the same way as others, but I nominate Sugarbush Lincoln peak.  So fake and such a monstrosity. 
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    bobbutts said:

I know it doesn't exactly qualify in the same way as others, but I nominate Sugarbush Lincoln peak.  So fake and such a monstrosity. 

Miles better than the one it replaced though!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

bobbutts said:

Base lodge itself is a big improvement. 
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced

bobbutts said:

Yeah, I haven't used it much but it seems really nice inside.  Also the people working there were super friendly when I visited.  I'm just bagging on the (well done but still fake) appearance and scale.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    bobbutts said:

bobbutts said:

Yeah, I haven't used it much but it seems really nice inside.  Also the people working there were super friendly when I visited.  I'm just bagging on the (well done but still fake) appearance and scale.
    And considering they demo'd the old and built the new in some crazy timespan like 7 months.. phew!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    bobbutts said:

bobbutts said:

Are you talking about the base lodge or the hotel? Hotel is huge. Base lodge is roughly the same footprint as the old one (or close to it) just 2 stories so more room to move, though half of it houses the kitchen.
    one of the lodges I was glad to see disappear forever was the old stateside at Jay.  The shape made it look like the battle bunker on Endor.    Besides looking grim it was overcrowded to the point of being unsafe, and I believe whatever septic system they had failed long before they finally tore it down.  The smell was brutal.   That lodge was a horror
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 26 Posts: 1,741
    And you think this is an improvement?!?image

After you walk up these you might not. (And there's another flight below me). Hey up there! You aren't done yet, you've still got a way to go before you reach the Bon A Quad image
    Ok, I 100% agree with you. It was awful in the nineties and beyond. And they wouldn't even sell tickets there which was completely stupid. I overheard more than one newbie complaining about that state of affairs. Although, for a day tripper I wished the new one was more on 1 or 2 levels & even with a good lift, but I see the hotel won that argument. Then again apres-ski is easier to get to so I should pick my battles.
    2014_04_21 Jay Peak (3) (1600x1200).jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 830K
    2014_04_21 Jay Peak (11) (1600x1200).jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 799K
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Those stairs are about as bad as all the ones you have to walk up at Park City.
    First time I walked up those stairs, I thought to myself, "these stairs suck."  And then when I got to the top, I got hit by wind I was not expecting, wow.  I almost -- briefly -- wished for the old lodge but some kid spun and smacked me with his skis and I came to my senses.

Inside it has a lot more elbow room, although it is definitely not easy to get to all levels and sometimes I find myself back outside on those stupid stairs wondering why.  

I will agree, curb appeal is not high, it's got a Hampton Inn aesthetic and virtually no charm at all.

But my goodness it's better than having two thousand sweaty people stuffed into a concrete bunker with failed toilets, any day.  So yes, the new lodge is definitely an improvement 
    ;))
  • ceoceo intermediate
    This will make me unpopular, but I always thought the Sugarloaf summit lodge was butt-ugly. And it's even butt-uglier as the derelict hulk it is now. 
    First (and last) time I went to Waterville as an adult, I thought "wait... the childcare room is in the same place it was when I was 4". It's been the same amount of time since then, but I haven't heard that they've updated that lodge much.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    ceo said:

This will make me unpopular, but I always thought the Sugarloaf summit lodge was butt-ugly. And it's even butt-uglier as the derelict hulk it is now. 

First (and last) time I went to Waterville as an adult, I thought "wait... the childcare room is in the same place it was when I was 4". It's been the same amount of time since then, but I haven't heard that they've updated that lodge much.
    WV is doing some renovations of the lodge right now. 
    edited October 31 Posts: 1,120
    ceo said:

Agreed, I think a lot of summit lodges look like hulking monstrosities left over from some 1960s era spy movies.  Killington (old or new, take your pick), Jay, Cannon, they really don't look very good.  Mt Snow summit whatever it is also not very attractive 

Sugarloaf has that real nice lodge about 1/3 down on the shoulder, skier's left from the summit.  Moose lodge or something.  Very well done, and I imagine it's much easier to maintain, more protected from wind and such.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    Bullwinkle's...