T-bar Construction Race

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 493
I posted a full article under Waterville yesterday, perhaps we can have some fun 'betting on a race'.

Do we have a T-bar construction race in New England! Burk, Whaleback and late comers Saddleback and Waterville are in the game. Sunday River (and Gould) have handed in their cards and plan to build next year.
The video on ropeways (same as WV site) says the High Country double is under going regular pre-season prep. Hum??

Here's my guess on order of finish:
1. Burke
2. Whaleback
3. Saddleback
4. Waterville

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Why no wonder Ibrake4tbars is so whelmed up for this upcoming season and I get to enjoy the exuberant contributor in January such a great time anticipated
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited October 18 Posts: 582
    The private owner of High Pond VT is putting in a new Leitner Poma T-bar. Now thats some nice spare change.
  • obienickobienick expert
    What does a new one go for these days? We see used ones go for $100-150k
    $350K+ for a new shorty like 1500 length.
    edited October 19 Posts: 582
    Whaleback's T-Bar is being installed a week from today. Towers and terminals.
    newpylong said:

Whaleback's T-Bar is being installed a week from today. Towers and terminals.

Now THIS I’m looking forward to witnessing!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 20 Posts: 1,798
    Come on over to the East side and I will bring the eclairs. Hell yeah, I'll even buy the beer for current SJers.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Come on over to the East side and I will bring the eclazirs. Hell yeah, I'll even buy the beer for current SJers.

Now that’s an offer I can’t refuse!
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Why no wonder Ibrake4tbars is so whelmed up for this upcoming season and I get to enjoy the exuberant contributor in January such a great time anticipated
    ski_it said:

Come on over to the East side and I will bring the eclairs. Hell yeah, I'll even buy the beer for current SJers.

Hey I get Ibrake4tbars in January, don't ruin it for me and Conrad.
    ski it you're still welcome to join us!
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    I may be interested in watching the work and meeting some other SJers. Is it next Wed. 10/25 for the work?
    TomWhite said:

I may be interested in watching the work and meeting some other SJers. Is it next Wed. 10/25 for the work?

Hope somebody takes pics and/or video of this. So curious how towers and crossbars can be set with accuracy so that the haul rope can be strung in essentially a straight line from bullwheel to bullwheel. 

IBRAKE
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Haven't seen it done, but gotta believe they use a transit or two to get the towers half way close, then adjust the cross bars later when they put the haul rope up.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Prior to pouring the forms, they are secured in place while the surveyor is there. The towers are bolted on and the sheave trains can come in and out a little bit on the cross arms to accommodate some offset, but not a lot. The more offset things are the more wear and tear you're going to put on the liners and bearings.

T-Bar mania continues in New England as Ascutney proposes installing a
    2,500′ Doppelmayr from
    Le Relais

https://liftblog.com/

New Exciting Lift News!

We’ve recently been presented with a wonderful new
    opportunity: two West Windsor families have offered to purchase and donate a
    2,500’ high-quality, used Doppelmayr T-bar Lift ($75,000 cost) and pay for
    installation-related permitting expenses (expected $25,000 cost).  We
    dreamed about expanding lift service to mid-mountain some day in the future,
    but this generous offer could make this a reality well ahead of schedule! 
    This T-bar donation is contingent upon completing the 'AOC' project and
    raising an additional $100,000 for the installation of the lift.

http://ascutneyoutdoors.org/capital-campaign

Used Doppelmayr
    1987 jet T-Bar

Popular

Lifts/Equipment
    USA

Description

For sale : Used Doppelmayr 1987 jet T-Bar (1200 pph,
    10 towers, 79 carriers ) very good condition, many upgrades, gear box rebuilt
    summer 2015 by Doppelmayr, new galvanized rope, AC drive, electric motor was
    rebuilt in 2014. Lift will be ready to dismantle at the end of the 2015-2016
    season, it is currently in operation and it can be seen any time until spring.
    Price to be discussed For information please contact Mario Bourassa at Le
    Relais ski resort 418 849-1851 ext242 contact@skirelais.com

http://www.saminfo.com/classifieds/advert/33-used-doppelmayr-1987-jet-t-bar

• mapnutmapnut expert
    Maybe we need to remove saddleback from the contest all together, in light of Tom White's post, and add Ascutney (though not for this year).
    Big expense for an outing club on a lift that will only operate a handful of times a winter. I wouldn't add Ascutney until they raise the money. My hunch is that baby will in storage for a while.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Two local families have promised the money for the Asuctney T-Bar already.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    obienick said:

Two local families have promised the money for the Asuctney T-Bar already.

And the permitting fees. All Asuctney has to do is raise the installation fee.
    edited October 23 Posts: 582
    My comment was in regards to raising the installation costs.

Previous to the current Hall T-Bar, Whaleback had a used Mueller in storage for 4 years, but did not have the funds to refurbish or install it. Non-profits often have lofty capital goals, but it takes time for them to be realized. I would not add anyone to any "construction race" until they have the funds and the contract is signed with the installer.
    newpylong said:

My comment was in regards to raising the installation costs.

Previous to the current Hall T-Bar, Whaleback had a used Mueller in storage for 4 years, but did not have the funds to refurbish or install it. Non-profits often have lofty capital goals, but it takes time for them to be realized. I would not add anyone to any "construction race" until they have the funds and the contract is signed with the installer.

Was it a lattice Mueller? Where is it at now?
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 25 Posts: 1,798
    newpylong said:

The private owner of High Pond VT is putting in a new Leitner Poma T-bar. Now thats some nice spare change.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=611

So at what point does a private lift become subject by law to be inspected in Vermont? I've heard rumors that recently the state of Vermont may have been pressuring some of these family & "friends" areas to get tramway licenses. This would probably close several of them due to the expense involved. I mean anyone can be a "friend" right, including business clients that is receiving a benefit from, etc...

http://labor.vermont.gov/tramway/lift-inspection-guidelines/

In Vermont, it is my understanding that the lift only falls under Tramway Board authority if the public will be using it. Yes it is a grey area for sure. I have not seen minutes to see if High Pond applied for the installation or not. My guess is, this lift is new, and if it has any chance of being used by the "public" they likely did so. Isn't the group that owns it an Investment Group? High chance the law would not fall on their side on that one.

In New Hampshire, it is my understanding that all lifts regardless of use fall under the Tramway Board. This is why you never hear about private hills in NH. They are out there, but held closely.
    Video of Burke trail, snowmaking and T-bar work:

edited October 29 Posts: 582
    Whaleback (photo credit as well to them)
    1.jpg
    1836 x 1033 - 741K
    Interesting way they’ve mounted the base bullwheel atop of and between two metal pillars. Very unlike the traditional Hall t-bar install.
    edited October 29 Posts: 582
    The original steel legs for the bottom terminal were torched off when the lift was removed at its original location however many years ago.
    newpylong said:

The original steel legs for the bottom terminal were torched off when the lift was removed at its original location however many years ago.

I like the new install better. The lift looks contemporary with modern lift installs. It’s as if this is what a 21st century Hall surface lift would look like if Hall were still a going concern.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    newpylong said:

Whaleback (photo credit as well to them)

Looking good! When do they think they'll be completed?
    Photo Credit WB
    f34f43.jpg
    1632 x 918 - 705K
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    https://liftblog.com/2017/11/09/why-t-bars-are-trending-again/

I would love to see Caberfae Peaks put a T-Bar in their back country area