Eastern Snowmaking Fall 2017

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,012
Wildcat tested their snowmaking this morning on Upper Lynx and it looks like the guns may be pumping out snow and not just water (it was cold enough early this morning).

https://www.facebook.com/WildcatMountain/videos/10155746882507359/
- Sam

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    That looks like just water.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    just water
    So it looks like Killington was the first to actually blow snow last night. Are they actually trying to start building a base at this point?
    - Sam
    edited October 17 Posts: 565
    Very little if any will survive until next window which is far out as it stands. As I mentioned in then other thread it's show snow, also to train new employees in early season ops, etc.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Killington blew on North Ridge. Guns off now. Nothing on Superstar
  • edited October 17 Posts: 2,012

Looks nice on the web cam, but it's doesn't look like they blew much.

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/northridge.html
    - Sam
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

Looks nice on the web cam, but it's doesn't look like they blew much.

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/northridge.html
    I think the web-cam is showing the blow-over onto Reason.  I'm pretty sure the chair in the web-cam is the Canyon.  Early this AM, you could see the plume of one or more guns in the left side of the cam shot.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Killington has a nice video on their Twitter Page of the guns running.
    Looks like they didn't even make snow down to where Great Northern crosses Rime.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    edited October 17 Posts: 362
    Like some of us have said in the last few days, it’s called blowing out the mice.
    Sunday River claims that the snow they blew last night wasn't a test.
    - Sam
    Cannon also made some snow as a test
    - Sam
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Ya, we’ll it won’t be there come Monday.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced

Not a test, but just a trial. Had it been an actual test, multiple choice questions regarding opening day would of been handed out with a bubble style answer sheet and requisite #2 pencil! :D
    Per their video on Facebook, Killington made snow on Superstar https://www.facebook.com/killingtonresort/videos/10155241242909401/

They also said they ran the compressors in the test a week or so ago but they didn't. Don't believe all you read.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    newpylong said:

They also said they ran the compressors in the test a week or so ago but they didn't. Don't believe all you read.

Check out World Cup Supply's FB page! Snow was made, and skied, on Supe's top headwall!
    edited October 17 Posts: 565
    DrJeff said:

newpylong said:

Check out World Cup Supply's FB page! Snow was made, and skied, on Supe's top headwall!
    What does that have to do with Sunday River? BTW, I went to high school with the guy in that video, he's nuts lol. Stand up family - long time Killington locals.
    North Ridge looks great this morning, there is snow everywhere and it looks like a decent depth.
    - Sam
  • slathamslatham advanced

North Ridge looks great this morning, there is snow everywhere and it looks like a decent depth.

Can you tell if they made a lot of snow to the base of the NR triple?

slatham said:

Can you tell if they made a lot of snow to the base of the NR triple?

Can't tell from the webcam, but I would guess that they did.
    - Sam
    edited November 1 Posts: 565
    They made snow down to the base of the triple. but not a lot. We're talking 1/4 turn of the hydrant on those guns.

If they open for passholders today, the snowmakers don't know about it yet. Look at the North Ridge webcam you can still see the snow sticking to taller vegetation. Not much was laid down.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    newpylong said:

They made snow down to the base of the triple. but not a lot. We're talking 1/4 turn of the hydrant on those guns.

If they open for passholders today, the snowmakers don't know about it yet. Look at the North Ridge webcam you can still see the snow sticking to taller vegetation. Not much was laid down.
    The web-cam is aimed down Reason - not Rime.
    edited November 1 Posts: 565

newpylong said:

My source is not a webcam.

Remember when I mentioned (apparently not) that people who work in operations talk to operations at other mountains?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Je me souviens. But I do like the Wildcat Summit web cam, shows one lone low E impulse gun pointed at Raymond Cataract. However, the gun is off. :(
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    newpylong said:

newpylong said:

My source is not a webcam.

Remember when I mentioned (apparently not) that people who work in operations talk to operations at other mountains?
    Webcam on NR is now caked in ice. Maybe some terrain park features being put in undercover?
    FB post indicates opening is not "imminent"....
    Looks like Reason has taken a big hit today.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Looks like Reason has taken a big hit today.
    Really warm right now. Maybe get temps again Fri night and Saturday, but then warm wind event again through Tuesday. After that maybe good for a bit, but still meh.

Models turning colder for next week.....