Eastern Snowmaking Fall 2017

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

obienick said:

Killington is out of air.  They are making snow above Preston's Pitch and from the fan guns.  The air/water guns along the pitch are off.

pretty marginal temps right now- should get on track by tomorrow night. Thursday into weekend look great
    5 fan guns on and creeping down the pitch. only halfway between tower 3 and 4 to tower 5 are untouched as of 11:30 am. I imagine they will close that gap soon. Great to see. Love webcams
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Remski said:

Obergatlinburg has a substantial pile on their tubing venue.

Rail Jam competition on Friday, the 17th and then open for the tubing season on the 18th.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    obienick said:

Killington is out of air.  They are making snow above Preston's Pitch and from the fan guns.  The air/water guns along the pitch are off.

Is this first hand knowledge, or a guess?

If its a guess, my guess is the temps are too marginal for air/water guns but not the new high tech fan guns.

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Mount Snow is opening this Saturday.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• obienickobienick expert
    edited November 7 Posts: 938
    It's a guess.  Because aren't they using Ratnik Babies? Those go to 31 WB per their website.

Since I made the post it looks like they've shifted to some tower guns on the flat and started turning on some of the ground guns on the pitch.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Killington officially opens Wednesday for passholders. Announced on social media, website.

edited November 7 Posts: 938
    edited November 7 Posts: 753

obienick said:

pretty marginal temps right now- should get on track by tomorrow night. Thursday into weekend look great
    6 fan guns on and creeping down the pitch. only halfway between tower 3 and 4 to tower 5 are untouched as of 11:30 am. I imagine they will close that gap soon. Great to see. Love webcams
    almost there. closed gap between 3 and five. About one tower to go before t2b.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    >>Season Pass holders are invited to enjoy free lunch on Wednesday at the K-1 Caf, North Ridge Dog Sled or Peak Lodge as a token of gratitude for their commitment to Killington Resort.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Killington has announced they will be opening tomorrow (11/8/2017) for pass-holders.  Will I see any of you there?
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited November 7 Posts: 259
    Looks like the big areas that want to be sure to be open for Thanksgiving and looking for points at the Boston Ski Show are looking the gift cold in the mouth and pulling the trigger...

Mount Snow seems to be the first Southern Vermont area to dive in...
    Expect Bretton Woods will have to dive in as well with Wildcat committed.

The Snow Report

10:59 AM Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The big day we've been waiting for is almost here! We are beyond excited to be kicking off the 2017-18 ski season this Saturday, November 11. With nightly temperatures dipping into the 20s, our team will use every second they can to blow snow all throughout the week. Now that our snowmaking reservoir, the West Lake, is online and connected to one of the largest fleets of fan guns in North America, we will have plenty of power to lay a solid base for opening day. If you haven't seen what this incredible system can do yet (along with our many other summer upgrades), check it out here.

Another posting 

Mount Snow and Wildcat To Open Early For 2017-2018 Ski Season

Mount Snow, VT – November 7, 2017 - Mount Snow and Wildcat Mountain are pleased to announce early opening dates for the 2017-18 skiing and riding season. Both resorts will be opening for skiing and riding this Saturday, November 11, 2017, marking one of the earliest openings for Wildcat in the past decade, and one of the earliest opening dates on record for Mount Snow.

“Wildcat has always been known for its early openings, and we’re thrilled to continue the tradition,” stated Brian Heon, general manager of Wildcat. “I can’t wait to welcome back everyone as we kick off our 60th season here at Wildcat.”

In preparation for opening day, Wildcat began its snowmaking operations early this morning. Mount Snow will begin snowmaking operations on Wednesday morning, as they fire up their brand-new snowmaking system that is now the most powerful system in the Northeast, thanks to $30 million in upgrades as part of the recently completed West Lake Water Project.  

“The West Lake project along with its substantial improvement to our snowmaking system has been a huge undertaking and we’re excited to show what it can do,” said Erik Barnes, general manager of Mount Snow. “Our skiers and riders will really see the difference from day one and throughout the entirety of the season.”

Both resorts plan to continue snowmaking operations throughout the weekend and beyond, as conditions allow, with a plan to open additional terrain throughout the weekend and into the following week. Carinthia Parks at Mount Snow, just named the #1 Park in The East by Transworld Snowboarding, also plans to open on Saturday morning with a full top-to-bottom terrain park.

“We’re thrilled to be opening two of our Northeast resorts so early in the season,” stated Jesse Boyd, senior vice president at Peak Resorts. “It’s a great win for all of our Peak Passholders who have been anxious to get back out on the slopes after such a great season last year.”     

Lift tickets will be available online and day-of with early season rates TBD as well as lift operating schedules for both resorts. 

• RemskiRemski advanced
    Cannon is making snow too.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Whiteface started Blowing today
    ~Rich~
    I wonder which Freedom Pass area will be open first so I can start my season. I would guess Magic
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I don't even have my pass in hand yet... :((
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

obienick said:

6 fan guns on and creeping down the pitch. only halfway between tower 3 and 4 to tower 5 are untouched as of 11:30 am. I imagine they will close that gap soon. Great to see. Love webcams
    almost there. closed gap between 3 and five. About one tower to go before t2b.
    Boom- gap closed. Blizzard now
    Cam is down for me
    obienick said:

Cam is down for me

I only get it in the small window by the announcements. Does not open large as it had
    ski_it said:

I don't even have my pass in hand yet... :((

me either, I'm waiting for Whaleback to mail it
    - Sam
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    Impressive

snapshot1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 329K
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited November 8 Posts: 1,120
    Mad River Glen made snow today.  I am not kidding

Impressive

Damn, that's cool...

Impressive

Impressive

Mad River Glen made snow today.  I am not kidding

yep: http://www.madriverglen.com/live-web-cams

Looks like all 3 guns were lit up
    edited November 8 Posts: 768
    I know that Mt Snow just completed a large water and pumping capacity increase, but they will be opening on Saturday with roughly the same amount of terrain as in November of 2007.

Right now it's Cascade/Canyon, Free Fall, Long John, Little John, Deer Run and Gulch (was Nitro in 2007) in Carinthia. Nearly identical to 11/07 opening day.

I guess we will see how fast they expand from there?

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited November 8 Posts: 259
    On the other hand Long John, Deer Run, Little John, Cascade, Canyon, Freefall, and The Gulch are much more than a WROD, not bad for a 3 day snowmaking window. I like the idea of a few easy warm-up runs and some cruisers to start the season with the option of NF if I am feeling good. 

I would like to have the concession on Cat Crap (anti-fog/icing stuff for googles) for all these areas, looks like skiing blind is going to be fairly common the first few days.... 
  • slathamslatham advanced
    sugarloaf said:

I know that Mt Snow just completed a large water and pumping capacity increase, but they will be opening on Saturday with roughly the same amount of terrain as in November of 2007.

Right now it's Cascade/Canyon, Free Fall, Long John, Little John, Deer Run and Gulch (was Nitro in 2007) in Carinthia. Nearly identical to 11/07 opening day.

This is a guess, but I'll bet they had a much longer window of snowmaking weather in 2007.......
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited November 9 Posts: 565
    sugarloaf said:

No North Face on 11/9/2007 and from my notes and pictures I had Nitro Express running but only to access Long John. There were rails and features on LJ from the top of the Nitro quad on down. So this year there will essentially be double the routes for day 1.

edited November 9 Posts: 768
    The North face was opened when I skied there on 11/12, Chute was opened. The article above states 7 trails opened for 11/9/07. I forgot they where the first to open in Vermont that year.

This season's openings look like they will break the norm, as Bretton Woods is set up to be the second area open in New England instead of Sunday River.
    - Sam