Eastern Snowmaking Fall 2017

124»

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

This season's openings look like they will break the norm, as Bretton Woods is set up to be the second area open in New England instead of Sunday River.

yep, open today with 1 trail. Very cool. Nice dusting of snow in CVT this morning...curbing the enthusiasm, but it does get the blood pumping.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Any ski area not taking advantage of this weather is just plain STUPID!!! Even if they don’t intend to open they should still pileup some whales on the shade side of their trails!
    Curious if this could be a record (at least in recent years) for # of areas open 2 weekends before Thanksgiving? Anyone have any stats? I'm seeing 7 in NE: Killington, Mt Snow, Okemo, SR, BW, Wildcat, Sugarloaf (Sunday). Others?
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    edited November 10 Posts: 298

sugarloaf said:

sugarloaf said:

Curious if this could be a record (at least in recent years) for # of areas open 2 weekends before Thanksgiving? Anyone have any stats? I'm seeing 7 in NE: Killington, Mt Snow, Okemo, SR, BW, Wildcat, Sugarloaf (Sunday). Others?

Wachusett has announced a Sunday opening.  Jiminy Peak is hinting that they'll open this weekend. Jay Peak is hinting at it.  And Hunter just announced that they're making snow top to bottom now and to stay tuned for opening information...
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert

Carinthia is closed this weekend and beyond per the snow report. That means no close in handicapped parking and no skiing for me until it becomes available again. This is why I did not buy a season pass.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    sugarloaf said:

Carinthia is closed this weekend and beyond per the snow report. That means no close in handicapped parking and no skiing for me until it becomes available again. This is why I did not buy a season pass.

Yikes, if it's closed all season it will be interesting to see all the park rats riding from the summit down Long John. They should advocate for Sundance parking for Carinthia riders.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    sugarloaf said:

If I'm not mistaken, there's atleast a half dozen handicap spots in the paved drop off circle near the main base lodge adjacent to the clock tower building. While it might be a slightly greater distance to the lift from there verses at Carinthia, it's no more of a vertical climb
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

sugarloaf said:

Yikes, if it's closed all season it will be interesting to see all the park rats riding from the summit down Long John. They should advocate for Sundance parking for Carinthia riders.
    The Carinthia Lodge, and a decent amount of it's parking lots, will be open for business as usual this season, just not for another couple of weeks (I've heard both Thanksgiving Weekend and the 1st Weekend of December as the dates likely) - Currently, there's apparently too much construction equipment and active outdoor construction work on the new Carinthia Lodge going on, exterior work that they're wanting to get done before winter really sets in, so they can focus on working on the interior, in a much more comfortable environment, non stop.

As I understand it, the majority of pre-existing parking spaces at Carinthia will be available this season once they open it up. And considering the only time I can recall ever seeing the Carinthia lots full were when they hosted the Winter X-games and Dew Tour, the loss of some spots likely won't be an issue there...
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    DrJeff said:

sugarloaf said:

If I'm not mistaken, there's atleast a half dozen handicap spots in the paved drop off circle near the main base lodge adjacent to the clock tower building. While it might be a slightly greater distance to the lift from there verses at Carinthia, it's no more of a vertical climb
    That area only has drop off parking. The handicapped parking is on a slope, unpaved and quite alot further from the lift than Carinthia. I wish the drop off area had handicapped spots, that would be ideal.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    Interesting.  Belleayre still blowing today, but it dosen't look like for an early opening, say like next week.  Heard that Blue and Big Boulder were at in the Poconos but Camelback blew no snow as of today and they are usually pretty aggressive.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    A bunch of areas are blowing that have no intention of opening for a while: Stowe has been blowing for at least a week and isn't opening until next Friday, McIntyre is blowing and they probably won't open until Dec.  I suspect some who could blow today are waiting at least until the next reading from the electric company due to demand rates that most of them use.

A bunch of areas are blowing that have no intention of opening for a while: Stowe has been blowing for at least a week and isn't opening until next Friday, McIntyre is blowing and they probably won't open until Dec.  I suspect some who could blow today are waiting at least until the next reading from the electric company due to demand rates that most of them use.

That's why MRG is making snow. Stockpile it when you can!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

That's why MRG is making snow. Stockpile it when you can!
    Yes - and those 3 guns are strategically placed to hit some vulnerable spots and corners where one comes back into the lift base area.
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate

And I have no problem with that.  Will 90% likely not start myself till after T-day. It does say however that they must be expecting reasonable weather in order to maintain it.  50's here in the NYC area next week (pretty normal).  My seasons are mostly weighted to the back side anyways.(never want to quit till its gone).  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ